not working with my bluetooth

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2008 5:22:53 PM PDT
D. wendell says:
I bought this for my PC (I do not have a playstaion) My bluetooth is able to "discover" the keyboard and recongnizes it as a logitech medio board but I cannot get any further- my pc says it cannot find service- what am I doing wrong? thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 5:08:48 AM PDT
the keyboard is made for the ps3 its actually programmed much differently than a normal BT keyboard though people dont realize it. so for even the few computers it does work on amazes me. if it dont work for yours dont get mad. resell it on amazon or to a friend with a ps3 and buy a BT keyboard for a computer

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 6:41:59 AM PST
Flatlander says:
I have two of these working on two separate computers. Both of my cousins have one on different computer models, so to say that it is programmed differently is a stretch.

This keyboard uses the Human Interface Device (HID) profile in bluetooth, so it is looking for the HID bluetooth service. Look under your bluetooth adapter to see what services it supports. I would think it would support HID. The bluetooth drivers, or stack, may need to be reinstalled. Google "reinstalling bluetooth stack" for your particular version of Windows. Probably won't work, but worth a shot.

You can always by another bluetooth adapter from Walmart for around $20 and give it a try. If it doesn't work, take it back. This is probably your best best

It sounds like an issue with your bluetooth adapter and not the keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 9:12:04 AM PST
Brad says:
I have to completely agree with Flatlander. If it picks up the device and recognizes it, it is probably an issue with the bluetooth stack/drivers. The HID profile is about standard on nearly anything that supports human interface devices/input devices (hence the HID profile name)... computers, iPhones, Playstations, a lot of smartphones, and on and on.

Bluetooth keyboards are not "programmed differently" for the most part, other than specification version and maybe a small discrepancy in bluetooth profiles that they support. In fact, the opposite is more correct... they are all programmed to follow the strict protocol specifications outlined and agreed upon to make it standardized, just like wireless G or N are standard across the board (in purest form) and network communications devices.

As Flatlander mentioned, the only real "differences" come in when you start talking about what profiles any given devices support (not all BT devices support all profiles). For instance, it would make no sense for a mouse to support the A2DP profile. When would you be playing high quality audio through your mouse?? So, in that way, only certain protocols are even relevant to certain devices, depending on what functions they are used for.

The Bluetooth stack is basically a software layer between the physical dongle/adapter (which receives actual radio signals) and the operating system (Windows/MacOS/whatever else). Much like in the OSI networking model... there are layers such as a physical layer which handles the actual physical radio/electrical/infrared signal and turns seemingly meaningless RF waves into instructions that can interface with the bluetooth stack, the software layer which then takes that raw data and interprets/translates it into meaningful profile commands or any other ton of communications to ultimately end up as an action that occurs on the device (like the letter A appearing after you've typed it).

Long story short... without all the boring details, there is no reason why this would not work with a normal computer as well -- GIVEN the fact that you have no problems with your bluetooth stack/drivers. The error message about a service makes me concerned there is a problem there. The first thing I would do is go to Start->Run... and then type in "Services.msc" and hit OK. You can also access the same area by going to the control panel, then Administrative tools... and click the Services icon there. You should see one called "Bluetooth Support". Check to see what the "startup type" is. If you have not installed another bluetooth stack on top of the default one, this should be set to "Automatic". If it is not, change it to that. If it is disabled, that means that it has somehow gotten cut off by accident, or another bluetooth stack is installed and has purposely disabled it to prevent conflicts.

If it's Windows 7, here are a few more things to check for:
In the control panel, you should have an icon that says "Bluetooth Settings" that you can click into and check out.
There is also another sort of hidden tricky place --> Chose "Devices and Printers" from either the main start menu or the Control Panel. This is where you should see your device listed as you said, the "Logitech whatever". That's a good sign... that means it the bluetooth adapter/dongle is working correctly, the keyboard is talking to that adapter, and Windows is getting the signal from that adapter that there's a keyboard out there. You should see one or both of these devices in this window. You should see the adapter/receiver itself, whatever it is called... say... "CSR Bluetooth Dongle" and you should also see the keyboard listed/as an icon. Right click on both of these, and be sure to check the menus and toolbars across the top of the window... there has got to be an option that says something like Connect bluetooth device, or Pair, or Bluetooth Settings on the adapter menu -- sometimes there is even a button on the keyboard somewhere you have to press or hold to get it to send the connect request to the computer. It almost just sounds like something as simple as the two devices are just not paired... they usually have to be manually connected/paired for them to connect to each other. Check in the Properties page at the bottom of the right click menu for each of those as well. You may need to set one or more of the devices into discovery mode, which makes the device "visible"... by default, it's usually set to be invisible, so that other devices cannot see it/discover it... for security purposes. (You don't want your neighbor to go into his bluetooth panel and see your devices clear as day in there), so you usually only put them in discovery mode during pairing, for a limited amount of time.

My last bit of info and advice is here:

This is good info cited from Wikipedia:

Apple has supported Bluetooth since Mac OS X v10.2 which was released in 2002.[15]

For Microsoft platforms, Windows XP Service Pack 2 and SP3 releases have native support for Bluetooth 1.1, 2.0 and 2.0+EDR.[16] Previous versions required users to install their Bluetooth adapter's own drivers, which were not directly supported by Microsoft.[17] Microsoft's own Bluetooth dongles (packaged with their Bluetooth computer devices) have no external drivers and thus require at least Windows XP Service Pack 2. Windows Vista RTM/SP1 with the Feature Pack for Wireless or Windows Vista SP2 support Bluetooth 2.1+EDR.[16] Windows 7 supports Bluetooth 2.1+EDR and Extended Inquiry Response (EIR).[16]

The Windows XP and Windows Vista/Windows 7 Bluetooth stacks support the following Bluetooth profiles natively: PAN, SPP, DUN, HID, HCRP. The Windows XP stack can be replaced by a third party stack which may support more profiles or newer versions of Bluetooth. The Windows Vista/Windows 7 Bluetooth stack supports vendor-supplied additional profiles without requiring the Microsoft stack to be replaced.[16]

Also, two VERY informative articles that could possibly teach you a lot about bluetooth would be to go to wikipedia and look up both "Bluetooth" and "Bluetooth Profile", which has extensive information that could help.

This is about the best help I can give you, as this is all purely off the top of my head, but I am in the computer industry, so I think I can get close enough to where you can pick up where to go.

I'd love to help you try and solve the problem, so respond if you get this and let me know if you're still having trouble and maybe I can find a way to help you out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro
Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro by Logitech (PlayStation 3)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (230)