Customer Discussions > Gone With the Wind forum

novels about the civil war

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2008 12:52:26 AM PDT
Hanna says:
I read Gone with the wind, and I would like to read other novels written about the civil war and its aftermath.
Any suggestions??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2008 10:53:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2008 9:13:02 AM PST
elle says:
Hi Hanna,

GWTW is such an epic story it's fantastic. there is a sequel written by Alexandra Ripley called "scarlett". its great! (it was made into a movie as well). Also I read this other book called The Black Swan by Day Taylor that is set up in the south pre, and during the Civil War, the sequel Moss Rose is set post Civil War. they are both great. Heather Graham/shannon drake also writes historical romances set during the civil war which actually have a lot of history in them, they are pretty good. And finally Kathleen Woodiwiss wrote Ashes in the Wind, New Orleans right after the federal forces took over.

Hope you like them :)
Elle

oh, i just came across the "North and South" series by John Jakes---EXCELLENT! start with north and south, then love and war and end with heaven and hell. (there is also a ABC miniseries adaptation which is really good- the one with Patrick Swayze (sp?))

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 12:38:02 PM PST
Diane Wylie says:
Hi, Hanna,

I love that time period too. In fact, it fascinated me so much that I wrote two Civil War novels that you can find here on Amazon.

"Secrets and Sacrifices" is a story of a woman who joins the Confederate army out of a desperate need to be with her beloved husband. She must learn to act like a man and faces challenges she never foresaw.

"Jenny's Passion" is the story of a Southern belle who finds herself falling for a Yankee. She does the unthinkable in her quest to save his life.

I hope you don't mind this self-promotion, but I can't resist when someone is looking for books set during my favorite time period.

Sincerely,
Diane Wylie, author

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008 8:21:09 AM PST
Southern gal says:
Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia has been compared to Gone with the Wind and Cold Mountain. It's a great read!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2009 12:19:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2009 12:21:08 PM PST
Stan Brown says:
I don't know if you are still noting posts in this discussion, since it is over a year since you posted--but I saw it today for the first time. Here are some books--shorter than GWTW--that were written by contemporaries of Margaret Mitchell reflecting on the same themes of the Civil War and Reconstruction's impact on the South:

So Red the Rose by Stark Young, focusing on Natchez, Mississippi

The Fathers by Allen Tate

Penhally by Caroline Gordon

Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller deals with lower-class, pioneer whites of Georgia's Wiregrass Country--and it's wonderful. (And Miller's winning the Pulitzer Prize for this novel inspired Macmillan to plumb the South for other manuscripts, where their agent discoverd Margaret Mitchell and GWTW.)

Marching On by James Boyd deals with a lower-class white boy in North Carolina who falls in love with the local planter's daughter. When he is disappointed in love, he leaves home for the nearest city--Wilmington, NC--where he begins to work for the railroad. When the Civil War begins, he enlists in the regiment commanded by the girl's planter father.

These are classic novels written in the 1920s and 1930s--and perhaps later (the Gordon and Tate novels).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 2:32:57 PM PDT
Mimijo says:
Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor is a sprawling Civil War novel that, like GWTW, won the Pulitzer Prize. It's not for the faint of stomach, with its portrayal of the abysmal, inhuman conditions in the Confederate prison camp at Andersonville, GA. But powerfully written, with memorable characters, and a much more nuanced view of the relationship between slave owners and their indentured servants than that of Gone With the Wind.

Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles is also great.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gone With the Wind forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Gone With the Wind
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (Hardcover - Aug. 1967)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (1,795)