4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album
I am a huge NIN fan and I always have to remember that this isn't NIN. On their own, HTDA is a solid and talented band. Complex sounds and thoughtful lyrics.
Published 21 months ago by J. Bane

2.0 out of 5 stars Not doing it for me.
The first HTDA album grew on me. Half of it I thought was great and the other half wasn't my cup of tea but I recognized it as quality music. As a NIN fan, obviously I wanted to hear more of Trent singing, but the music was still great.

Published 20 months ago by Matthew David Ritchey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, December 19, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars HTDA- An Omen, January 20, 2013
This review is from: An omen EP_ (MP3 Music)
First let me say that if you are expecting Nine Inch Nails you will be disappointed. If you approach it with an open mind and have an interest in electronic music you may like it. Most of the songs are quite mellow on this ep (versus the first ep), but they have a way of getting stuck in your head. I found it interesting to hear Trent work with a female singer, hopefully the band releases a full length in the near future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not doing it for me., January 12, 2013
This review is from: An omen EP_ (MP3 Music)

I really hope AN OMEN is just all the stuff they decided to throw off of their debut album this Spring. If that's the case, then it's okay. If this is a good example of what we have coming our way, though, I may have to write off ANGELS.

Everything is so scattershot here. The first track is awesome - great bass, very much the kind of thing we were listening to on the first EP.

I actually love ICE AGE. I know a lot of die hards have a problem with it, but I really dig the stripped down sound. It totally sounds like a different band, but I still enjoy it. And if you can find the Soft Moon remix of it, do so. Even better.

ON THE WING is fine. Forgettable, but fine.

Then there's THE SLEEP OF REASON PRODUCES MONSTERS. God I love that title. Amazing. I get the reference and that makes it even cooler. But holy cow - I used to have a crappy electronic keyboard when I was growing up in the 80's and I could create the EXACT SAME SONG with it. Keep in mind that I have ABSOLUTELY NO MUSICAL SKILL WHATSOEVER! Unlistenable. If this wasn't a direct download from the official website, I'd say it was a joke and somebody had hacked in to add a fake track.

LOOP CLOSES - a GHOSTS or soundtrack song, I also dig this one.

SPEAKING IN TONGUES. Why? Just why? This is Trent Reznor's REVOLUTION 9. Look, I love when Trent does soundscapes and gets loud and YEAR ZEROy but this is just awful. As a soundtrack song for DRAGON TATTOO, maybe, but then the horrible jazz-improv out of tune keys come in and..... I just can't.

I'm extremely disappointed. I guess I knew this time would always come, but I can with a straight face tell you, as a Trent Reznor fan, this is pretty worthless.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, November 13, 2012
This review is from: An omen EP_ (MP3 Music)
While I like a few of the songs and agree that it seems the band is finding more of their own space, I'm not really sure what that space is. In many ways there is a pretty substantial difference here between the first EP; in my opinion too much of a difference. This is mostly an electronic album, and the most vocal centric track, Ice Age, is itself still quite different from the tracks of the first EP.

Keep it together is good, but I felt like it left a little to be desired. I actually really like Ice Age - it's pretty but still has some mystery. The loop closes starts out great but the continued repetition of the vocals, and those vocals in particular, kind of ruins it. Speaking in tongues is very good, but by this time I was still waiting for more.

I'll be hoping for more from the album, but there's still some things to like here. That being said, I prefer the first EP.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's no NIN..., August 1, 2013
This review is from: An omen EP_ (MP3 Music)
The album has got some good redeeming qualities, and I like a few songs, especially "The Loop Closes." I can see any die-hard NIN fan having a wide variety of opinions on this EP.

4.0 out of 5 stars its not NIN, May 26, 2013
This review is from: An omen EP_ (MP3 Music)
but ill take it. its not your typical Reznor, but it has a lot of potential. cant wait to see whats next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album, March 20, 2013
This review is from: An Omen (Vinyl)
arrived much quicker than I thought. I wonderful departure from NIN. I will be getting the next one for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extras!, March 11, 2013
This review is from: An omen EP_ (MP3 Music)
My husband was thrilled to get this disk, which had more songs than the version he'd downloaded from the artists website... it also came with a code to download even more songs, whicih of course he did.

4.0 out of 5 stars More great chill from Mr and Mrs Reznor..., March 6, 2013
Jason Pollard (ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An omen EP_ (MP3 Music)
This album is a great follow-up to How to Destroy Angels, it offers a lot more range and experimentation. Some haunting sounds to be sure, i love music that gives me goosebumps...

The pacing would be the only flaw, it didn't seem to 'flow' for me... like a compilation album with no context to marry the songs together...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great production., February 23, 2013
This review is from: An omen EP_ (MP3 Music)
Is it wrong to love anything Trent Reznor touches? This is a little softer than his solo/NIN material, which is why I love it. Great background music, and his wife's voice is amazing. It adds a nice organic touch.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›