No one selling at MSRP. Thanks Amazon!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2012 10:09:37 PM PDT
Wow, I opted in for notification of when i could reserve a Wii U. I wondered why I didn't receive one, went to the Amazon site, saw the dirty prices for them and realized why. Thanks for low-balling your loyal customers Amazon and vendors.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 5:39:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2012 5:41:47 AM PDT
Amazon chose not to ist pre-orders even though they led their fans and Nintendo to believe that they would. Most people seem to think that Amazon is not selling the system due to disagreements about 3DS returns (squeaky hinges not a defect) or the fear that it might happen again with the Wii U (not likely, no moving hinges). Amazon is silent or in denial that their fans were the ones who suffered the most in this feud. Pre-orders sold out everywhere while we waited for Amazon to list it for sale. Some abandoned ship (at least temporarily) and pre-ordered at GS or another store. I am one of the ones who is on a pre-order wait list from a physical store, hoping that Amazon changes its mind.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 2:20:32 PM PDT
Amazon's not selling any Nintendo consoles or handhelds directly at this time over a dispute between them and Nintendo. Amazon apparently has been getting a lot of returns on Nintendo consoles of all types and wants some special compensation for the costs incurred. I personally like the idea of imposing a 10%-20% restocking fee on all new console purchases. That would tend to make consumers decide they could live with minor issues like the 3DS hinge, or if they couldn't live with it then they could send it to Nintendo for repair under warranty rather than return it to Amazon. If they still chose to return it directly to Amazon then Amazon would receive enough from the restocking fee to offset their costs. It would also impose a cost on the resellers who now can buy every unit that's available and then if the market disappears return them for a full refund. Give them a bit of risk in the transaction and chances are the resellers would disappear in a hurry.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 11:43:18 PM PDT
It would have been nice of them to just send an email saying "hey we're no longer taking pre-orders" instead of pretending that they didnt even offer them.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 4:54:36 AM PDT
I had signed up to receive e-mails from Amazon advising me of the availability of the Wii U back several months ago an they did send out an e-mail saying the consoles would not be available and apologized for any inconvenience. That's been a while back now, but they did send out e-mails. There wasn't an explanation for why, or if it was permanent, but they did notify me that the consoles wouldn't be available here.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 5:34:03 AM PDT
@Donald, well, at least someone can say that they've done that at the very least. I've missed it for some reason, but they've done it...

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 5:34:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 5:34:39 AM PDT
The new Walmart ad that came in my paper today (10/12) is offering layaway for Wii U black consoles. I'm not sure how many they'll have available but they say you can lay it away and pick it up on the eighteenth. I'm heading up there after nine when the layaway section opens to check it out. If anyone wants a black console on the eighteenth it's another option for you.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 6:32:57 AM PDT
And I just got back from my local Walmart and they were absolutely lost and confused as to what to do. They advised me to come back on Sunday morning when the ad officially starts and maybe they'll have gotten some guidance by then on how to proceed. The head guy in electronics didn't even think the Wii U was being released until March. The people in layaway had no clue what to do. I'll head back up on Sunday and see what happens.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 3:04:08 AM PDT
Radiohead says:
Oh no...Donald....well somehow that doesn't surprise me. Thank you for the update. By the way, cool that you still get a paper! :)

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 6:39:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 2:19:48 PM PDT
Yeah! I went back to Walmart today at 9:00 and after some issues with a shortened UPC code on the paper they were using was resolved I got my Black Wii U Deluxe Console put on layaway and it'll be ready for me to pick up on the 18th of November! I'll have to wait until 9:00 AM to pick it up on the eighteenth, but at least now I'm guaranteed to get one on the eighteenth. If anyone wants to be assured of getting one, then that's the only real option left at this time. Head to your nearest Walmart and have them put one on layaway for you. (If your local Walmart has a hard time getting it done have them print out the price sticker and use the UPC number from the sticker to reserve the product. The UPC number printed on the paperwork they're supposed to use is missing a digit or two and is too short.) That's a nice relief!

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 12:29:22 PM PDT
RJ says:
Yea the Wal-Mart here was clueless too. So was the one the next town over. Looks like I'm screwed thanks to Amazon and the stupidity of the local Wal-Marts here. So I'll be waiting till I can walk in and pick one up off the shelf. Needless to say I think I'm going to start spending my gaming money elsewhere thanks to this.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 2:22:47 PM PDT
I was lucky in that the girl trying to ring it up figured out the UPC code was too short and they checked it out to get the right one. The official paperwork from Walmart had the wrong UPC code on it making that largely useless. I've now got my printed receipt assuring me of getting a Wii U on the 18th (hopefully) so I'm happy.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 5:06:54 PM PDT
yeah it's on the front page of the walmart paper here. i hope i havent missed the deal.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 5:07:27 PM PDT
P.S.
Where'd you get your UPC?

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 4:54:41 AM PDT
They got the correct UPC by printing out a price sticker for the Wii U and using the UPC numbers from the price sticker.

I was very lucky in that the guys/gals in my local Walmart were willing to bend over backwards to be sure I got one. There was a four or five page printout from the Walmart corporate office that gave them the full terms and procedures to use. This limited layaways to two per person and instructed them on what to do to ring up the sales and how to process everything. This printout also had the stock number and UPC numbers on it. Whenever they'd enter the stock or UPC numbers the register would beep and they'd get a message that the order could not be processed. The girl trying to do it called for help and the department manager and assistant store manager both ended up coming back and trying various options. Finally the assistant store manager checked to see if the Wii U was in the inventory control system and saw that it was which meant he could print out a price sticker for it so he did and gave it to the girl to try scanning, but that didn't work. Then she said that the UPC number seemed awfully short to her. The assistant store manager then read the UPC off the price sticker and sure enough, it was longer than the one they'd been trying to use. She entered the full UPC number and the transaction went through. The whole process took twenty minutes or so until they found a solution, but they found it and I got my Wii U on layaway.

I'm very happy to know I've got one more or less guaranteed for the eighteenth now. The early reselling is getting a bit crazy. I saw one reseller asking $50,000. Most seem to be asking for $800-$1500. To be able to get one for $349 is much, much better. I think a lot of retailers will hold some/most of the their Wii U's back until Black Friday and I really hate to have to fight my way through that madness to get a console. This way I should be able to walk into my local Walmart after nine in the morning on the eighteenth and just pick mine up from layaway and take it home. I could not be happier about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 5:08:25 AM PDT
Congrats. On my way to try and get a Lay-a-way going myself! When i went last night, layaway was closed(after 9PM)

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:44:34 AM PDT
If it's any help the information on my receipt is as follows. "WII U HDWR 004549688086K 349.96"

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 8:45:20 AM PDT
LFC says:
Walmarts online bundle still comes up for pre order then it sells out 5 mins later. I pre ordered mine Saturday called and said mine will ship the 19 th but u have to keep checking with searching wii u. The past 3 days they been taking pre orders for the 32gb and 8gb. But there up only at certain times. Just in fact about 20 mins ago they where doing it again so if you have trouble at Wally World or don't live near one just keep checking. Good luck!

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 8:50:25 AM PDT
RJ says:
Well the Wal mart preorder thing worked for me. Also got hooked up with a nice New Egg coupon that cuts 12 bucks off the preorder games. Granted you have to order each game separately but it's worth it for the 12 bucks in savings each. Sad too cause all of that money could have been Amazons.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 8:54:51 AM PDT
LFC says:
Glad to hear it hope everyone that wants one can get one

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:53:12 PM PDT
Kenny Golden says:
The ones for sale aren't through amazon. They are just preorders made via gamestop, best buy or walmart and being resold. Amazon will probably do their preorder around November when they have an idea of what their stock will be like.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:57:36 PM PDT
RJ says:
Haven't been following things have you? Amazon isn't going to be carrying them at all. They've not been carrying Nintendo consoles and handhelds since the their fight over the 3DS defects and returns started. It's not going to change. They've even said as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:58:37 PM PDT
Kenny Golden says:
I only read the first post and replied. Didn't find out all the other info until I read the other posts also. Sorry for the misinformation.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 7:02:43 PM PDT
Kenny Golden says:
Also, nobody is going to sell for MSRP on here because amazon charges 15% seller fees (+ 99 cents for sale) plus you have to pay shipping out of pocket. I shipped a ps3 once and it was around $50 through ups and assume the wii u will be similar in costs (amazon only allows you to charge up to $6.99 for shipping costs). In order for a seller to break even, they will have to mark up around $75-100 over the MSRP.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 3:39:41 AM PDT
yea so lets sell it for 600+
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo Wii U Console - 32GB Black Deluxe Set
Nintendo Wii U Console - 32GB Black Deluxe Set by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii U)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (743)