Customer Discussions > Help! (Deluxe Edition) forum

No one's twisting your arm to buy the Deluxe Edition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2007 8:32:00 AM PDT
Reading all the comments in the various discussions, what I hear are a lot of people who'd really like to own this, and are trying to convince themselves they can't justify dropping the better part of a C note to have it - and if they can't have it you shouldn't either. Nobody *really* needs to buy the deluxe edition, it's an extravagance to be sure. You'll likely be wiping the dust off it more often than you'll actually look at the books, lobby cards, poster, etc.

It's a collectable, people. The target audience for this edition are the hardcores who would think nothing of spending this much (and more) on a limited edition title from Genesis Publications, for instance. If you're on a budget then you're looking at the wrong listing. If you want the Deluxe Edition (and I know a lot of you do), then it's time to save your money, do your homework (somebody out there is certain to offer it for less than $90), or put it on your Christmas list.

This is a cool edition, of course I'm going to get it. I predict it's going to sell out quickly and appreciate accordingly. Keep its components in good condition and in a few years you can sell it to one of these people complaining about the price it's selling for now at twice that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2007 10:21:57 PM PDT
The reason we are all complaining is very very simple. We were enticed by hearing vaguely that this movie would finally be re-released. Then the announcement came officially from Apple that there would be a standard edition then a deluxe edition with extras (all without telling us the prices, mind you) and being the Apple Scruffs we all are, we fantasized about getting the deluxe edition for somewhere around 40-50 bucks and enjoying it forever and ever, perusing the book as the film plays in the background and the poster hangs on our wall, framed along with the lobby cards.

Then, the website came up and we were told of that, and we waited for over 2 days to finally get a working link to Amazon and what do we discover when we get here? The price is ridiculously high. For something that most Beatle fans who buy it would read often and view often (not for collectors or for display only) the price is simply too high.

I've been a Beatles fan for a few years now and I have everything I can get my hands on, from the Anthology set (DVDs, book and CDs) to a replica Abbey Road street sign and even books on the Fab Four. Yet, the Anthology DVD set isn't even this much and it has 5 DVDs. I understand the book is what is really driving up the price but for comparison, I just recently bought a book of Beatle photos (you can find it on here >> ISBN-10: 1405480483) and it only cost me 7 dollars brand new, hardcover.

The point I'm trying to make is that that for what we are getting, Apple figures that because it's the Beatles, they can slap a price on it and fans will buy it blindly and we feel that price should be justified by content, not by name.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 3:38:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2008 2:36:28 PM PDT
PETER XUEREB says:
Yeah Adrian I tend to agree. I've been a Beatles fan since childhood (I'm now 50) and I go after their new releases when they come out despite any repitition I may already have in my collection. I'll buy vinyl editions & CD's of the same title but "retire" the vinyl. In comparison to other titles like The Anthology 5 DVD set and even Paul McCartney's DVD titles, the pricing for "Help! (Deluxe)" is way over the odds. I just wonder if Apple/Capitol/EMI have got the message yet that this is just too much to pay. I suppose it's advance "collectible planning" but you can't contrive the collectibility of something as there are many different factors. I'm probably going to wait for the standard version which is unusual for me as I always go for the limited. But unfortunately I can't justify spending this amount of amount for effectively a 2 DVD set despite the extras included.
OK since I wrote this last October I was able to acquire the Deluxe Version as part of the deal I made when I bought my 32" LCD TV. As a result I got it for $50AUD (around $42USD now) (as opposed to the $150AUD ($127USD) it was listed at). Having bought it, the packaging is nice & a cool poster I'm tempted to frame but won't so as to keep the packaging authentic. The books are cool though the "wrapping paper" is a bit of a nuisance. Nice lobby cards, DVD's tended to fall out so I had to fix that. However still not sure if it was worth the higher price I would have had to pay had I not done the deal. It's a great thing to have but I'll probably still buy the standard version anyway and keep this set preserved.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 11:14:21 PM PDT
Kevin Turvey says:
I think the point is that most Beatles fans would pony up the $100 if it were worth it. Those of us who've been scouring traded VHS tapes, television, and documentaries for years collecting unreleased Beatles footage know that there is SOOOOOOO much of it...a lot of it is really good...and if some of it were on this set, it would be worth the $$. A fluffly little book is there to confuse Xmas gift buyers, pure and simple. Every dollar spent on THIS version is an insult to all of us who just want to see our Beatles footage, thank you very much. No one is "twisting my arm"...duh I'll buy the cheaper one...but for $100, I have every right to wish that this was a REAL deluxe edition with real footage that I want, instead of this silly fluffy gift item. Simple. Not cheap, not misguided, not pointless, not ignorant. Spot on point. Give us the raw footage we want, not fancy packaging. THEN you'll get my $100, or more. *sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 2:25:35 PM PDT
In the 21st century, the name Beatles represents a commercial entity, its job is to exploit the market and generate product. The release of "Help!" is "some product" and Apple knows the numbers are out there to justify an expensive deluxe edition. The postings to this discussion all appear to assume that the contents of the deluxe edition (the books, the lobby cards, the poster) aren't worth the additional cost. Has anyone seen a copy of this yet and inspected its contents? Neither have I. The people who scream so loud and long about the exorbitant price (and I certainly don't disagree with you) must still find something intriguing about it - if the price were more to your liking, it appears some of you would still buy the "fluffy" books.

Commercial interests have been "ripping off" Beatles fans from day one. What was "The Beatles vs. The Four Seasons" but a gaudy repackaging of two previously released records in Vee-Jay's catalog? You can go to the Beatles' official web site and order a limited edition, hand-signed and numbered by Sir Peter Blake print of the "Sgt. Pepper" cover - only $2500, plus tax. Is that a rip-off? To a lot of people, yes, but as George once sang, "It's all up to what you value."

If you're expecting to see every scrap of "Help!" - related footage on any edition of this new release, you're going to be disappointed. This is Beatles by committee, and everything that goes into an official release must be vetted and argued over, and much will remain officially unreleased. You want everything you'll have to go "elsewhere."

Is the deluxe edition a rip-off? I don't know (and unless Ace has seen a copy he doesn't know either), but when I have mine I'll report back here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2007 10:45:43 AM PST
The problem is the value vs content. True, if something is "worth" alot to you, then you're more apt to pay out the nose for it (if we weren't wired that way we wouldn't have antique shops or put insurance on family heirlooms.)

The real point here is that a dvd set is still just a dvd set until either:
a) the production run is over and out of print
or
b) it's sometime in the future and THEN this set would have some value if cared for properly

I'm just gonna post verbatim a response I made to another thread here (as it's my thoughts on this pretty much):

"I have worked in printing in the past (for about 3 years, on and off) and the cost for this set does not seem to be accurate of its contents. If we accept that the base price for the DVD and the standard inclusions (insert and booklet) is about 20 bucks and then tack on pure printing costs for the poster and lobby cards (when done in bulk, less than a buck) and the script (after binding, less than 5 bucks retail) and the book of beatle pictures (10-15 bucks retail), you're left with a discrepancy of about 60 dollars. Why is 60 dollars being tagged onto something that is relatively inexpensive to make?

The primary principle of marketing and of economics is supply and demand. If the price is low enough, more people will buy it and more money will be made through inexpensive sales rather than through sales with exorbitant prices. Yes, the run would have to be bigger, but isn't that the point rather than limiting the amount of what is available and creating an artificial scarcity (much like the one popularized by Andy Warhol's estate cronies who destroy his original art in order to make others more rare >> http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2007/07/17/warhol-lawsuit.html).

If Apple were smarter, they could do both - make the amount of money they want to make, and make a LOT of Beatles fans happy by bringing the price down to a reasonable amount."

As for Apple releasing every scrap of footage? Not likely going to happen, and I was actually pretty happy with the standard edition 2 disc set, but still disappointed that they couldn't have thrown in a few of those lobby cards or the poster or something for the price I paid (I paid 28 bucks at FYE because I preordered 2 months in advance... *sad*)

Anyways, I'm anxious to hear your assessment of the deluxe edition :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2008 10:39:49 AM PDT
Help! is one of my favorite movies of all time, so I jumped at the deluze edition right away when it came out, and it was well worth $100 for the shooting script alone. Not only is it bound like a real script, but it was Richard Lester's personal notes written on it. Not just black mind you, whatever color he wrote it in. Even the backs of some pages that are blank, have markings on them. It's very well done. All I can say is, if people don't want the poster, the lobby cards, or the book of Beatles pictures (which no one seems to mention has a very thoughtful introduction by Mr. Martin Scorcese, no less), then get the regular edition. This edition is only for hardcore fans. For those who don't even want the standard edition, that's fine. For those idiots who continuously shout out their mantra "The Beatles are overrated!", I don't want to know you. People always try to say "crazy" things to show that their opinions are "on the edge" and "extreme." Like Blender's recent "50 Worst Things Ever to Happen to Music" list. They put "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" at number 50, the very first one, as if to say "All bets are off kids, CAUSE WE'RE CRAZY!" Sgt. Pepper? Really? Are you sure you're not an idiot? Beatles Overrated? So is your face!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008 3:13:49 AM PDT
It is down to $30 today as Amazon's Deal Of The Day.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008 10:18:31 AM PDT
J. Schneider says:
OK. What I want to know is: Did people get the 'correct' 2d Disc? And what about the 'ripped poster.'

If that's not an issue, that it sounds like a great thing...but I don't see anyone's follow-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2008 4:56:12 PM PDT
Moray says:
I got mine on sale for $29 and it plays just fine. It was all mint.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008 6:23:22 PM PST
and now it's down to a mere $20.. so much for the appreciating price collectible as predicted by the original poster!

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 8:58:32 PM PDT
I just paid 99 cents for this at best buy. It had a $119.99 price sticker but rang up as 99 cents at the register. Same with some other box sets they have for sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 7:18:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 29, 2012 10:10:18 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:22:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 8:23:52 AM PDT
So, is it cd/dvd combo type box sets only?

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 3:57:27 PM PDT
Only some box sets are cheap, mostly the ones that have been released 5 or more years ago, the ones I went to I got 2 panic at the disco A Fever You Can't Sweat Out deluxe box sets for 99 cents each, a stokowski rca 14 cd stereo collection for 99 cents, they also have linkin park and staind fanclub shirt/cd/ other stuff combos 99 cents each. Other people say there is 99 cent queen the cosmo rocks vinyl box sets, depeche mode Sounds of the Universe collectors edition boxes for .99, but the best buys I went to didn't have any of those. I checked some other box sets like Paul mcartney ram, rolling stones some girls, but those rang up at full price. Out of the 4 I went to only two of them had any discounted box sets for sale, the prices are in the system so regardless of what the price tag says it should ring up as 99 cents.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Beatles - Help! [VHS]
The Beatles - Help! [VHS] by John Lennon (VHS Tape - 1995)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (548)