Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Portal 2 - Xbox 360 forum

Am I the only one that can't understand this game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2011 6:38:10 AM PDT
Jennifer says:
I read all the reviews and purchased Portal 2. Played the first few levels, then it became hard. I then bought the first Portal off XBox Live Arcade after reading if you played Portal One first, you'd understand Portal 2 more easily.

This game should have been right up my alley. I'm an adult, I love puzzles, I play XBox a lot (33000) gamer score), etc. and I just can't figure this game out!

Any ideas of how to think when you play it? I just picked up the orange/blue gun and haven't even reached the 'goo' that's referenced. Should I just sell it back?

Posted on May 10, 2011 4:50:43 PM PDT
benjamac says:
DEFINITELY play the original portal first then- you are not yet thinking with portals, and the original does a WAY better job of getting you to understand what the game requires. Once you really "get" the new physics, the puzzles are a challenge, but remain fun and completable.

Posted on May 10, 2011 5:16:46 PM PDT
John E-Smith says:
It's all about experimenting with and properly observing your environment. Many times I got stuck because you need to "think with Portals" as the popular new tagline states. Think of the Portal gun as your first means of transportation, walking and jumping second. Playing the first Portal game (several times through in fact) definitely helped prepare me for Portal 2.

Posted on May 11, 2011 7:21:51 AM PDT
I never played this first one and jumped right into 2. I was stuck one or 2 times, but that was it. Youtube is filled with video walkthroughs if your stuck. I admit I used it 2 times but other than that, you have to look all around you to shoot portals. And remember to use gravity, so you may have to get to the top of a ledge and jump down into a portal to shoot you out somewhere else. I had to sketch some of the scenerios out in my head before I did it. Also, it doesnt hurt to just play around!

Posted on May 14, 2011 2:40:57 PM PDT
V. Row says:
I never played the first one and still havent but completed portal 2 single and coop no problem. Yeah I may have gotten stuck at some levels for 5-10 mins, but eventually I figured it out. I recommend not using youtube vidoes or other forms of hints as you are basically ruining the gameplay experience. I'm a FPS guy, and this was basically the first puzzle game I played. Sad to say this but if you are having problems with this there is something wrong. I thought the game was pretty slow in a good way in the beginning to teach each technique individually.

Posted on May 16, 2011 9:14:18 AM PDT
James says:
Look around the levels for hints (white signs), and like the other posters say - just experiment. Look for the big white signs with the level number, the icons on it will give you a clue as to what major tasks/hurdles you'll need to accomplish.

Yes, some levels required 10-15 of messing around, especially one of the later training levels where you have to get 3 of the "redirection" blocks and yourself up on three different ledges and redirect a laser beam back and forth across the room.

Another thing to remember when it comes to thinking with portals is that portals aren't just for YOU to pass through. :-)

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 11:29:13 PM PDT
D. Goldman says:
The art directors have done a great job of giving visual hints if you look closely: There are often subtle "spotlights" to indicate where you might need to portal next (particularly in later levels). They might literally be x's painted on various spots, or they could just be brighter areas of a wall, etc...

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 10:21:38 PM PDT
Cynth M. says:
I personally have not played the first Portal game, and it did take me a few tries to 'get' the Portal device. Once I did, it really did get me to find creative solutions to the puzzles. I'm at level 10 now but that's because I just started playing last night. If you're not sure where to shoot portals in order to move some of the game elements (avoiding some spoilers here), keep in mind that as long as you notice the details such as tile placements and use the portals to spy into areas that are difficult to view, you will go a lot farther along a lot faster.

I know that it worked that way for me.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 1:40:20 PM PST
is not that I don't understand it, is that it's really hard for me (i was playing it at my friend's house and he had to tell me like 40% of the things i had to do), at least for the time being

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:07:52 AM PST
NEVER play a sequel without playing the original game. That doesn't even make sense to do that!

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 9:42:36 AM PDT
Chap says:
game not suitable for chicks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Portal 2 - Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  May 10, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Portal 2 - Xbox 360
Portal 2 - Xbox 360 by Valve (Xbox 360)
4.7 out of 5 stars (772)