Is this a real power meter as opposed to some of the cheaper estimators?... I ask because a good power meter costs about $1200 just by itself.
[UPDATED] asked by Dennis Hinkamp on November 19, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
I'm not sure exactly how the power meter in this machine works, but as somebody who works with power often, it seems fairly accurate to me. Probably not quite as accurate as, say, a power tap, but I get numbers accurate enough to work with over the winter months. My guess is it estimates power based on gear (resistance). and rpm, but im not entirely sure.
asmwilliams answered on November 19, 2012
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't know, but I would assume not. I didn't look much int the mechanics, but I think this was a magnetic resistance trainer with a motor that adjusted incline according to input from the computer. Most likely, power estimates are calculated, as like you say, real power meters cost as much as this unit. And remember, I had mine for ten minutes useful life plus all the rest of the time it took to send the whole defective shooting match back. OH, and Mine was LAST YEAR; 2011. Hate to bad mouth the company if they are making better stuff now. ;-)
JRC answered on November 19, 2012
Comments (2) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Its an electronic power meter that calculates/estimates power based on the rpm and the gear. I don't know of any power meter that does not use computer to calculate/estimate power output.
Lyle Kimms answered on November 19, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sorry for the late reply:
I think the wattage is calculated using an algorithm (speed, incline, etc.). I have never used a power meter before so I am afraid I cannot comment on how accurate it is.
Dylan answered on November 28, 2012
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product