Customer Discussions > Abbey Road forum

outrage over hhgregg advertisement brutalizing song"Help"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 50 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:50:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 10:13:18 AM PDT
Ninja says:
I feel like I'm listening to a highschool girl argue......are you even focusing on the issue anymore or are you just trying to figure out ways to attack people Scott?

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 10:11:52 AM PDT
Ninja says:
Any writing from any "writer" is biased, and any report from any sourse that is PAID for is also biased; for instance, Consumer Reports. The Taylor Swift comparison is perfect, loving the Beatles and outrage over using the song, hating Country and outrage over using a country artists - two sides of the same sword. Both are the same point, do these things really affect the service you're going to get when you walk into the store to purchase your products? No!
I don't agree with the fact that Nike, Adidas, etc use millions of dollars for pro athletes to be in their marketing campaigns but it's not going away.

Scott, Brie never said the positive reports were or weren't biased, all she mentioned was that there is plenty of info out there that can be posted to combat one post verses the next, genius.
I didn't state that people on this blog or anywhere else couldn't read your posts, I was simply making a point that I can't stop your emails from coming to anyone but me....as you were claiming that I somehow could do and that that was why you were getting no responses to you wonderfully transcribed emails.
You really need to start reading more slowly before responding to things Scott. Yes I realize I am not the most pragmatic these days, but I guess you attacking me just brings out the best in me. The rest of your comments don't even credit a response.

I could also post hundreds of great links about hhgregg and horrible ones about our competition or vise versa, but the end result would be the same. Every company out there is going to have some unhappy customers at some point in time. You could find hundreds of posts on any one of the retailers you tried to look up.
You're welcome!

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 10:44:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 11:21:51 AM PDT
Scott says:
Well, Kara; as you can see if you actually read my posts, it is *I* who keep bringing up the issue, and it is *You* who attacked first and have continued to, since I responded to You.

Again, the issue here is your company's poor taste and lack of judgment in accepting what its ad provider used, and your company's ad provider's poor judgment, and lack of creativity--which has resulted in anger against your company.

Your responses to me indicate that you believe that contributors to this thread are incapable of understanding my points--by feebly trying to spin them--which is understandable for a person who is unfortunately in your position.

It's funny--because You KNOW I'm right, and you genuinely DO believe that negative responses to ads result in people making purchase decisions, or you wouldn't continue to try to spin and muddle The Issue.

Your arguments are weak and silly, Kara--and here you are, attacking me again--even though I tried to assist you with your career prospects. I note that you're using my original "You're welcome" at the end of your diatribes, which reflects your own lack of originality as well as the lack of originality of your company by using the song.

You can't successfully defend your company, Kara.

But you sure can waste a lot of company time, eh?

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 10:57:27 AM PDT
Brie says:
I wouldnt suggest to anyone boycotting anything actually it was merely a gesture to get a response from you and maybe raise awareness as to what the real issue is and why you aren't doing anything about that. I personally boycott several large retail chains more along the lines of supporting local business then choosing something as simple-minded as not liking a song they used in a commercial. Your logic continually proves how elementary you are in your thinking. The comparison to Taylor Swift and Best Buy is completely relevant and accurate to this discussion. It is the exact same thinking that you are pursuing which is why I laughed when I read your statement. I agree its awkward as hell to suggest that a song in a commercial can make people do such random elementary things.

Yes I study the market place all the time due to my line of work and I can assure you that every column you ever read is biased. There will always be someone with another side of the story and reasoning why they feel a particular stock will rise or fall. Some are paid to sway buyers and some are genuinely trying to do a long term true assessment which is what I do before passing my opinions onto my colleagues, clients and friends. All retail stock is dropping greatly over the last 2 years however hhgregg is the only one that has an increase of approx 20% growth annually in new store openings and total revenue. What this means for their stock holders is that HGG is investing substantial profits back into the company (in the form of new locations, warehouses, employes, mgmt, etc) in an attempt to become national instead of leaving profits idle in an attempt to appease shareholders. Who knows if they reach that plateau or not but what is for certain is that all their stores are profitable, the company is profitable and they are growing faster than any other retailer in the market. However this should be irrelevant as to the topic of this thread. Im not here to defend them as a profitable company. I never writeon threads but this one has just irked me for some reason. Probably the same reason you were irked by the ad. You had seen enough misuse (in your opinion) of the Beatles music and decided to take a stand. On the other hand, I have seen enough stupidity recently as it relates to people thoughts on commercial content that I had to take a stand.

You want to make a true statement and impress yourself (since this seems to be what your after) then why dont you organize a Beatles fan group across the world and raise money to buy the rights to their music from Sony/ATV? There are millions of true fans, some who have big money, who would help you in your cause but as its stands, Sony/ATV is going to continue to make the money off allowing companies to do what they wish as long as they have shown them the dough! Im sure with a cool $1 billion+ offer, it may be all yours.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 11:21:09 AM PDT
Scott says:
Good enough, Brie--and thanks again for backing off from (most of) the insults.

I am familiar with bias in financial articles as well as investigations regarding stock "analysts" who are compensated for providing positive (although inaccurate) reports.

The Taylor Swift comparison is Utterly Simple-Minded and inaccurate. You Have to come up with something better than that, because as it stands, it proves that you miss The Point.

Strange that you would describe exercising free speech as "elementary."

And thanks for suggesting that The Dollar is more important to you and businesses than common sense.
It takes a lot of work to try to defend companies for angering so many people, including their own target market.

It is astonishing how those who count money and sell dishwashers not only ignore the opinions of their customers, but defend their cross-eyed allegiance to the very entities that caused the trouble to begin with.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 11:55:39 AM PDT
Brie says:
Ill keep this one simple for you so you dont get confused with the point again. So in your humble opinions which customers opinions are right: The 99%+ that do not care or may even like the commercial, or the 1 out of every 100 or less people who choose to let it offend them? I would almost be willing to bet that you are not or ever were an hhgregg customer if you let something like this bother you and that is why they dont care and would never entertain such ignorance.. Hey Kara if you want to lookup any records of who he is, his full name is Scott Mackenzie from NC.. Feel free to check him out and see how much he has really purchased (I checked him out and he's harmless- just loud). His brother is Paul Mackenzie and seems to be the better of the 2 photographers. You figure with his background in art appreciation that he would let hhgregg's artistic impression go. Like you do with most things you dont appreciate- just let it go. He must be the kind of guy that hates remakes of any kind although I kinda have to agree that the new Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland were both quite lame. Maybe we should boycott Tim burton and Johnny Depp!

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 12:29:37 PM PDT
Scott says:
Well, Brie, I appreciate the plug.

It's not surprising that you have done this.
Simple searches can expose quite a bit.
If you really are a friend of Ninja, aka. Kara E Shenk, aka salsalitta1, and if you really LIKE her, you might want to drop this post.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 12:46:57 PM PDT
Brie says:
Hey no problem on the plug! I advise you drop the thread continuation all together. I could care less about Ninja or Shenk to be honest with you but I admire his/her willingness to actually speak up to your group. It takes courage to jump in the fire when you know you are out numbered and actually speak up. Do you see how quickly your back up dropped out of the conversation? It takes a lot more to actually be smart about doing things the right way so you can make a difference.

As far a simple searches go, there is nothing simple about the way I get my information about whoever I need. Its pretty hard to google just a name like Scott and see what transpires dont ya think?

I do have to admit I like your passion for the Beatles but dont let your adoration cloud the fact that we are all just human and everybody looks at things and takes things in differently. Music just has a way that brings out strong emotion in people. Learn from everyone and grow as a person and leave the hatred behind..

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 1:16:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 1:29:40 PM PDT
Scott says:
Thanks again for the plug.
Although it is obvious you did it to create ill will, spam and the like.
As you can see from our galleries, we volunteer in our communities quite a bit. Photographing and posting tens of thousands of images of the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure (breast cancer) ALONE, has kept us busy over the years.
Then there are the Other Numerous Charities to which we donate our time, money and resources as well, which are also posted on both of our gallery sites.
Do You volunteer for Your community, Brie? Are you recognized by the US Department of the Interior for volunteering?
Do you donate pheresis at Your local Red Cross? How many Lives have you actually helped or saved? Do you know (without looking, now--be HONEST if you can) what pheresis Actually Is?
Again, simple searches can expose quite a lot. It can actually be ADVENTUROUS.

Hiding behind "Brie" is cowardly, but that is not surprising.

Before you showed up and started attacking me, the issue was two companies coming together and using poor judgment and bad taste that has angered their target market--and our refusal to shop there until they drop the commercial.
It's ironic to think that your earlier post to me this morning that Amazon deleted included your take on Ron Jeremy and my mother as well as name-calling and you insulting everyone on this board, calling them names as well--and now you say "learn from everyone and grow as a person."

Thanks for your advice, but I would rather continue this dialogue without personal attacks as long as the commercials continue, if you can possibly do that.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 2:02:55 PM PDT
Brie says:
No honestly I do not know what pheresis is without looking it up (I will shortly though as Im curious). Not sure how its relevant as Im sure I know plenty of things that you havent been exposed to. Listen, I fully respect anyone who donates time and resources to their community and country. I am a Veteran of the Armed Forces (no combat time) of 3 years prior to the current engagements. I do donate a great deal of personal time and supplies to habitat for humanity as well as monetary compensation to several others. I could list everything I do but again, its not about you and I Scott. The purpose of this thread was to bash a company who you felt misused or had somehow tainted the legacy of the Beatles by using them as a background music choice in an ad campaign. Being that they have the rights to do so should not allow you to judge an entire company based on their idea of artistic impression and how they decided to use it to connect with the general public. You of all people should know how important a personal connection is with artistic sense. There isnt much dialogue here as you try to defend artistic impression on one hand then bash someone else when they use theirs because you dont agree with it.

But you know what I will do for you Scott is humbly bow out of this thread and concede defeat. You win and your views on someone else's expressions will forever be victorious.

Cue Scott's victory monolouge

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 5:14:55 PM PDT
digitscd says:
The use of this song is obscene

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 3:04:22 PM PDT
P. Beach says:
Shame on HHGregg - the licensing of the Beatles "Help!" and the subsequent cutesy, insipid jingle is offensive on multiple levels - and shame on Zimmerman/Omnicom for their stunning lack of creative vision.

Never shopped there and never will.

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 4:28:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2011 6:07:17 PM PDT
Scott says:
Well...It turns out that Kara E. Schenk, K. Schenk, Ninja, salsalitta1 and Brie are all The Same Person.

If another clinically psychotic person shows up here, we'll know she's back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2011 5:55:07 PM PDT
Brie says:
This is Brie. It is short for Brienne. I am not anyone else but Brie. I guess you couldnt tell by the difference in writing styles or difference of opinion. I told you I could care less about hhgregg or the people who work there. I was just sticking up for artistic rights and freedom of expression all the while pointing out your childish unwarranted boycott because your a so-called Beatles fan.

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 6:02:09 PM PDT
Scott says:
LOL! Whatever, Kara.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 6:51:54 AM PDT
Russell Dean says:
Brie, Freedom of Expression includes the right to criticize, boycott and complain - without it, all there would be is promotion and advertising. The advertisers for this jinglefied version of Help used the Beatles song specifically to push emotional buttons of their potential customers. That it rubs some of us the wrong way to be manipulated in this manner is not childish but rather an adult recognition of the processes advertisers use to market services to an increasingly dumbed-down consumer.
As for your defense of artistic rights, shouldn't that be reserved for the creators of the art and not the corporations who are able to buy the publishing rights out from under said artists and then use them in ways that the original creators might find objectionable?
And finally, your assertion that someone is just a so-called fan of anything because they love their art and object to it's crass use to sell a product that has nothing to do with it's original intention - proves you dont really understand the issue but are rather like a corporate shill, why else would you care?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 3:14:55 PM PDT
bravo & thank you Russell.I couldn't have said it any better.Dan( Beatles fan ad-infinitum!)

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 12:25:12 PM PDT
C. Riddick says:
All of this animosity seems completely misguided. Why aren't you guys criticizing The Beatles for selling their publishing rights to begin with? If they really cared solely about the integrity of their music, they wouldn't have sold the rights to a publishing company they started, which they did so that they could conceal their royalties and revenues as corporate capital gains(in order to be taxed less). A seemingly economic/profit-driven motive.

Singling out HHgregg is arbitrary and childish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 3:12:53 PM PDT
c.Riddick.You absolutely do NOT know what you are talking about.It is a very long and complicated set of circumstances dating back to when the Beatles first achieved fame and their publishing interests were controlled by some other folks who turned out to be a bit unscrupulous.Bottom line;The rights to most of their songs ended up with ATV & through back room dealing & secret negotiating--Michael Jackson.The Beatles recorded music still is controlled by their respected companies but the rights to the song melody/lyrics are not.They did not ever wish for them to be in the hands of commercial companys who don'.t give a rats ass about artistic integrity.This was NOT a publishing company they started.Get your facts straight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 6:38:31 PM PDT
C. Riddick says:
Danny. I apologize if my knowledge of The Beatles' history isn't encyclopedic, I didn't mean to incense you. And while its true they tried to get their songs back before Northern Songs was sold to ATV, the Beatles DID agree to sell the rights to Northern Rights and take an ownership stake in the company because it would be far more profitable and they could save on capital gains tax.

They should have never agreed to start Northern Lights without a controlling interest. True, they trusted the wrong people, but it wouldn't have even been an issue if it weren't for their greedy economic interests.
Art and Business don't mix well.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 2:53:27 PM PDT
Mr.. Riddick,Again this is NOT about who owns what or who has the right to...etc.This again is about showing some respect and artistic integrity.The Beatles did not set out to write commercial jingles and purposefully never intended their music to be used as such.As for their "greed",the British taxation system in the 60's took much of what they made and I would venture to say that if anyone deserved a lot more for what they gave the world,it would be them.Thanks for listening.Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 11:21:58 PM PDT
Bill says:
I agree with you. There are more important reasons not to go to a store than the ad didn't suit your tastes (unless the content is absolutely malicious). And only a few employees at the company are responsible for the ad - is it fair that boycotting because of an ad can cause employees not responsible for the ad to lose their jobs? I don't think so. I'm a Beatles nut but the ad still puts a smile on my face because I still like the song. I just bought a Beatles CD today - I have the cassette version, but now I can repeat Savoy Truffle and Good Night with ease. These people go ballistic over minutia - if they ever faced a very serious problem in their lives, they'd crumble. I didn't realize HHGREGG has been around since 1955 - I thought they just opened up a few years ago. I wouldn't go to HHGREGG - not because of the ad - but I really don't have any big ticket electronic items to buy and there aren't any HHGREGGs near me.

It would be a pleasure to go to a store with knowledgeable employees like the ones at HHGREGG. I'm tired of going to stores with ignorant, cackling teenagers who don't know what they're doing. If you're a teenager reading this and you're good at your job, no offense.

You know the Beatles' version of Help! is the best by far
But what is sweet now, turns so sour

I guess the new rendition of Help! and nice apple tart are both sour!

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 5:35:40 AM PDT
Scott says:
Cool video from "Music Matters" re: The Beatles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_MeHq8o-o&feature=player_embedded

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 7:18:43 PM PDT
Ninja says:
Wow! It's been a while since I've been on here it makes me smile a little. Riddick, Bill, and P.Beach, it's reassuring to hear there are others out there that have the same point of view we do. P. Beach, you're right about Zimmerman, I'm glad you were the one to pinpoint them on here. However, Scott hasn't caught on yet and is still sure it was all of the employees at hhgregg that are responsible. Instead he's still harrassing me and petitioning to shut hhgregg down across the country by not shopping with them.
For future reference, I am not Brie and maybe in future posts you can focus on educated opinions and information instead of attacking anyone who doesn't agree with you.
Thanks ~ Have a great day everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 1:59:31 PM PST
Clayton says:
GET A LIFE.........................................................................................
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Abbey Road forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 13, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Abbey Road [Vinyl]
Abbey Road [Vinyl] by The Beatles (Vinyl - 1995)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,597)