5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely laquer

1.0 out of 5 stars Sandpaper tipped
Published on September 29, 2010 by tangy

1.0 out of 5 stars Sandpaper tipped, September 29, 2010
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
I am an Asian, Ive used chopsticks all my life. Ive never encountered a pair of chopsticks with sandpaper tips. Thats what these chopsticks have, a 2 inch rough sandy tip. I guess they did it to make it easier to grip food, but its gross because the sandy tip actually chips off as you eat with it. Normal chopsticks are smooth throughout, but this one is not!! I think the other reviewers dont know much about chopsticks and think that that sandpaper tip is normal but it is most definitely not! and definitely NOT HEALTHY to be eating pieces of the chopstick along with your food.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite bad!, November 26, 2011
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
When I read another review describing the chopsticks as sandpaper tipped, I thought that (s)he must be exaggerating. (S)he was not...

These are QUITE bad! I suppose if you enjoy crooked, sand papered chopsticks, then these will suit you perfectly. Otherwise, avoid these like the plague!

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., November 25, 2011
Coeurl (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
They look very nice, i'll give them that.

There is no excuse though for the odd smell coming off of them. Even after washing them and simply trying to get used to it, the scent of something like acetone is just galling. The tips of them also have a weird sandpaper-y texture. Overall these things aren't worth it unless you never plan to eat with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars yuck - decor only, January 11, 2012
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
Don't buy these if you actually plan on eating with them, they use spraypaint to color them. The smell of paint was overwhelming when I took them out of the package. Waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy. UNSAFE!, December 21, 2012
Katie H (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
These chopsticks might be pretty. However, if you run your finger along the rough edge (that comes in contact with the food you are eating) it flakes off. This means it VIOLATES health safety laws in most states. "Corrosion-resistant materials" means those materials that maintain their original surface characteristics under prolonged influence by food contact, and the normal use of cleaning compounds and bactericidal solutions, as well as other conditions-of-use in the environment." This item is not corrosion resistance the sandpaper flakes off with a slight touch--just imagine what splinters you would consume while eating rice! Seller is abrupt and unhelpful in response to refund requests. have filed an A-Z refund claim as seller refuses to cooperate. What a waste of time having to file a claim and wait 3 weeks for a $3 refund on an item that seller REFUSES to inspect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, September 25, 2012
Miles McCoy (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
Was really disappointed when I got these. Not only are they cheap-looking plastic, but they have textured tips. Plus, they have absolutely no weight to them - I feel like I could snap these in half with no effort at all. I bought these for the cool designs and the price, and well - I guess I got my money's worth. Lesson learned: won't be buying from this seller anymore. Or at least this brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely laquer, March 24, 2012
Ashley Dorsino (WHITESBORO, NEW YORK, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
I'm truly not sure what the others mean by a peculiar smell and "sandpaper tips". It's classic lacquered chopsticks. The bottom/rough side makes it easier to hold onto slippery foods like egg and noodles and it's something that's common with what I find here at Asian stores. If you actually examine them you know that the actual bottom/tip is smooth like it's supposed to. I bought these because I thought they were lovely and they really are. The art at the top of each consists of beautiful colors (my favorites are the crane and the sakura). They smell like regular lacquer-ware going back to the smell. I'm not sure if the others are used to a lot of Chinese and Japanese products but my boyfriends family brought a lot of stuff back with them when they came here from Japan and this just goes very well with it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars very very nice, February 23, 2012
Autumn Witch (San Francisco / Inverness) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
Just got these today and they are quite pretty. I just love them.

Two things make them really great, they are very light weight so they tend to stay in place and because of the black base and different coloured patterns I can almost wear them with any outfit. Really nice stuff.

The only thing I might change about them is they are really long, I think they would be slightly better if they were just a bit shorter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the absolute best chopsticks i have ever had, July 23, 2014
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
Not the absolute best chopsticks i have ever had, however having read the former reviews i do not understand how it is being said that the paint flakes off, this is not spray paint and i cannot smell anything. Spray paint would not be as smooth as these are. Furthermore the tips are rough due to manufacturing it looks as though it was done on purpose with the intention of assisting with picking up food. OVerall things like these are display peices anyway they are meant to be cute not to eat with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and well made, February 26, 2012
This review is from: 5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK
I was really happy to see that these were well-crafted. They are also quite beautiful. I love throwing my hair up with a pencil, but now I have beautiful chopsticks to use and have received several compliments from colleagues.

5 pair Japanese Chopsticks Gift Set Scenery BK