Does a pedometer work while using an elliptical machine? I work out on various machines such as an elliptical machine or recumbant bike as well as walking outside when weather permits, will this be accurate between them all?
asked by KJK on January 17, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 answers
A
This is what I've noticed about the pedometer with various machines -
30 minutes on the treadmill, 2 miles ... registers about 2200 steps, registers all 30 minutes as aerobic
30 minutes on the elliptical, miles ... registers about 2000 steps, registers all 30 minutes as aerobic
30 minutes on the recumbent bike ... no steps registered (or minimal, less than 20)
30 minutes walking outside (with stroller) ... 2 miles, about 2000 steps, registers less then 30 minutes aerobic (maybe I'm having to stop sometimes for the kids or to chat with a neighbor)

I think the longer stride and less impact of the elliptical cause less steps to be registered, but I like that it still registers the consistent time as aerobic. I've found this the case with almost all pedometers (register more steps on the treadmill then the elliptical even though the elliptical says a greater distance has been traveled).

JenB
*JenB* answered on April 16, 2008
Comment | 8 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I use mine on an elliptical machine regularly, and have found it to be very accurate. Based on my understanding of how a pedometer works, I would not expect it to work properly on a recumbent bike, although I have not tried this myself. Great pedometer, BTW. Most accurate I have used.
J. R. Jones answered on March 1, 2008
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Mine works on my elliptical and when I'm on my recumbent bike...I put the pedometer on my shoe and it measures half the "steps" since only one foot is "going" up and down.
Christa L answered on April 17, 2009
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
it works on an elliptical I use it daily.
Dawnn Burfoot answered on February 18, 2008
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Most pedometer count steps by using an accelerometer that detects the impact of each step. Therefore, the count will not be accurate for non-impact exercises and some other activities. Out of curiousity, I used the Omron HJ-720 ITC while on the elliptical machine and noted a wide discrepancy between elliptical and pedometer step counts.
Cal Astrin answered on January 21, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Mine works on the elliptical but not on a recumbant bike (i.e. it doesn't count any steps at all), likely due to the position of the seat relative to the legs and feet.
M. Clark answered on April 8, 2008

A
My Omron HJ112 did not work with a treadmill. I don't know about other machines.
An Amazon Customer answered on April 14, 2008

A
Tested mine today, I have the HJ720ITC, and it measured pretty accurate on my elliptical
Patricia C. Aday answered on January 18, 2009

A
I wonder why it doesn't work on my gym's elliptical then.
Books2Read answered on March 22, 2009

A
I have a Smoothfitness elliptical and it works with mine. My elliptical has a stepping motion whereas some ellipticals have more of a shuffling motion. Maybe that makes a difference.
Kimmiegirl answered on April 10, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product