Customer Discussions > The Departed forum

How come people review the movie on here, but not the product?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2007 11:10:57 AM PST
I just find it amusing that people come in here and review the movie and obviously haven't bought the product itself. Amazon lumps all reviews together so it might get confusing (though they should probably indicate which version the person posted their review on sort of like they do with the hardback vs softcover book reviews), but it would be nice if someone would comment on what exactly is on the DVD itself rather than just doing a movie review. Yeah, I saw the movie in the theater, but that doesn't mean I feel like I should review the DVD.

Do a review of the DVD people in addition to a movie review. We can all go out and read the reviews on sites like Rotten Tomatoes to gauge whether the movie is any good.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2007 3:45:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 3, 2007 3:45:51 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2007 4:07:25 PM PST
E. Moulton says:
Here here. I'm searching through all these heady reviews trying to find out if the HD-DVD look is worth the HD-DVD price tag, and all I can find is a bunch of reviews I can find on any old news website. Reviews should be about video, audio, extra content and price tag.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2007 2:59:12 PM PST
Xanna Don't says:
Yeah. I already bought the widescreen DVD only to discover it doesn't have the bonus features of the 2-disc set and is not in HD. I want all of the above! How do I get it...??? Anybody know?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2007 12:32:44 PM PDT
Pat Shand says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2007 10:48:17 AM PDT
sailfast says:
While you are actually buying the feature, Amazon.com is not the correct place for you to make your introductory foray into move criticdom. There are hundreds of blogs and other sites devoted to just that topic. What I would like to see here is a review of the DVD itself: Is it high quality? How's the commentary? Is it worth buying the special edition? Most times I've already seen the film before buying it on DVD so I've made the decision the feature is worth the investment.

Amazon - please find a way to make this work!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 10:02:52 PM PDT
R.K.M. says:
"All the audio and video concerns should be addressed by Amazon itself, not by reviewers." I could see your point if this really was the case, but Amazon does not provide much/any information about the DVD content so it is left to reviewers to provide.

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 2:49:32 PM PDT
M. Joy says:
Here Here Mr. Meeker! Amen and Amen.

I am sooooo tired of it too. The movie's storyline, performers, or even performances are not the critical aspects to be critiqued HERE. The format IS.

Important considerations might be - How is the Blu-Ray picture quality, transfer, and audio when compared to the DVD format? What is the surround audio format.... LPCM, DTS-MA, etc....? Features? Extras?.... and so on.

I will admit that Amazon is terrible about passing on these details - or even realizing the importance of them to those who searching for the information. Just as they ignorantly group reviews to mix them across different media formats - which are actually DIFFERENT and separate products.

I have written customer service asking them to consider such things - and I hope others do as well.

If people are not seriously concerned with the audio and video details they obviously don't understand what the improved format was created to achieve. They are definitely wasting their money to buy Blu-Ray and should instead Buy the DVD, especially if they don't know the difference in the quality or resolution - or if their equipment can not reproduce it. Those who do care will want to know the details. Maybe someday this will be corrected.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Departed forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions