Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > The Blackening forum

For the people who HATE "The Blackening"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2007 11:16:32 AM PDT
C. Wilson says:
Can you explain what you don't like about it, besides the fact that you don't like them live. Is it blind hatred for a band that flirted with the Nu-metal craze before going back to making good metal, or is it just your sheer inability to understand a good metal cd?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2007 2:20:49 PM PDT
Aaron Lamb says:
I attribute it to a lack of good taste in heavy metal.

Machine Head have been doing their thing for a very long time, and at this point they are better than they have ever been.

Also, as a response to people saying they suck live. I have seen Machine Head twice live, and both times were two of the best concerts that I have ever been to.

Hell, I even saw Machine Head when they were touring for Supercharger, which is by far the worst cd release in the 90's. Machine Head still put on an amazing show, even though most of their new material at the time was horrid.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2007 1:24:03 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2007 3:03:08 PM PDT
C. Wilson says:
I have been a drummer for 12 years, and I don't think their metal drumming is the easiest ever heard. There is a big difference between showing off and actually playing an instrument that complements the music. Just because he isn't doing sixtuplets through a whole song or doing a fill every two beats doesn't mean he sucks, it just means that his drumming contributes to the overall sound of the song. Every musician in that band is really talented and can create a "song" better than 95% of current metal musicians. Don't hate because you haven't hit it big and need to bitch about a great metal band on message boards. idiot.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2007 5:44:18 PM PDT
Aaron Lamb says:
I would also like to call Anthony Charles Wieck an idiot.

Machine Head is known for their stage presence. I believe it is impossible for Machine Head to have a dvd displaying their concert skills that has sold as well as Eligies, and still manage to completely suck on stage.

Plus, I have seen Machine Head a few times, and like I said before those were two of the best concerts I have ever been to. I'm not some daft 15 year old puke on amazon.com defending my favorite band. I'm simply calling your bluff. I don't know what you have against Machine Head but they are one of the better metal bands out right now. They haven't always been amazing, which could attribute to your reasons for hating, however they are doing what they do very well at this point.

I've been listening to the Blackening for the past month and it is easily one of the better metal discs I have picked up for quite a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2007 5:08:42 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2007 1:24:09 AM PDT
D. Flynn says:
how can you call this album crap? its a MONSTER. its the new master of puppets so to speak, the new reign in blood if you will. a new cast from which all metal should be molded from(metal would rise from the underground if that happened) I say lose any pre concieved notions of previous albums and listen to this one real good. although I love all of their work except maybe supercharger.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2007 12:42:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2007 12:43:12 PM PDT
I don't know if I would neccisarily call it the new reign in blood though...I would say that Machinehead at this point is better than Metallica simply because Machinehead has gotten better in the twilight of their careers. As for Metallica...who? Oh forgot, they pretty much don't exist anymore except on the oldies station. The blackenning is a nice example of current good metal.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2007 12:47:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2007 12:57:35 PM PDT
N.Rogers says:
For me there is nothing specific I can say I dislike about this album, its just the whole sound of it doesn't do much for me. As far as 2007 and metal go - the best albums for me have been Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos, Kamelot - Ghost opera (both released on the same day. Coincidence.....), the new Epica album - Divine Conspiracy(gotta love promos), Machine Men - Circus of Fools.....I could go on and on and on...like the energizer bunny....but you get the idea of my metal tastes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2007 1:12:07 PM PDT
C. Wilson says:
That makes sense. Some people might not get into this cd based on that, but few can admit that it sucks. I can see if it's not your tastes, but give credit when credit is due. The song structure, complexity, and overall musicianship is amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 9:54:24 PM PST
Mags says:
My only complaint of Machine Head live is that they aren't playing for long enough... 8 songs live just doesn't cut it... I realise the songs are long but they have too much quality that isn't getting played (i.e. A Call To Arms, Days Turn Blue To Grey, In The Presence Of My Enemies, and thats just off the last two albums, not to mention the champion The Burning Red Title Track)... They should be going out by themselves not with package tours... I realise that these are probably more financially viable but I'm just speaking from a fans point of view... I want more songs live...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2008 4:36:54 PM PDT
Dont get me wrong this is a great album, to me though a bit over hyped. This cd front to back every song os absolutely solid, I would give every track a 4.5 out of 5. I was honestly more impressed with empires, it snuck out the gate with out a word of hype and had dominating 10/10 songs like imperium, wipe away the tears, bite the bullet. Those tracks to me just rained down pure machine head. I do love this cd I just think the expectations where not ment compared to empires which had none and just came out the gates burning with anger and rage.

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 4:23:40 PM PDT
C. Wilson says:
I loved Empires too, but I thought some of the songs were a little simplistic. I'm referring to songs like Bite The Bullet and Wipe Away The Tears, which are cool metal songs, but they don't have many layers to them. They're more straightforward metal songs. My favorite two songs on Empires are Imperium and Descend the Shades of Night. Those songs just kill. Can you tell I'm a fan of epic Metallica-style music? Guilty as charged.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010 7:19:07 AM PDT
Who says that Machine Head Sucks live? I dont even own any of their albums, I probably couldnt name a single song of theirs, but I've seen them headline a packed show(opening for arch enemy and sanctity) and I hadn't seen that venue get so crazy since I saw in Flames there back in '02. I dont know much about Machine Head, but I know that they were GREAT live, and I wasnt even familiar with the songs. I am thinking about getting this album "the blackening" because Metal Hammer listed it as THE #1 best Metal Album of the last decade.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 6:58:51 AM PDT
Jae says:
The Blackening is a fantastic album, period. I saw them on tour and they did a great job. "Halo" live was incredible, as was Aesthetics of Hate. Their covers of Hallowed be Thy Name and Battery were spot on. The 'Maiden cover, imo, is simply fantastic. Sure, it's different then say More Things Change and Burn My Eyes, but it is what it is. The album in of itself is great and I hope they keep it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 6:36:07 PM PDT
Robshock says:
I agree. I didn't think they could top "Through The Ashes" and then came "The Blackening" Truly a Masterpiece.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 10:57:37 PM PDT
I just recently listened to it. It isn't terrible, but it just has that lame metalcore sound to it. Uninspired anger, cheesy tough guy growls followed by whiny melodic vocals that seem to always hit that same aggravating "emotional" note that every uninspired band uses. Accompany that with boring chug riffs that just kind of run together. There are moments of inspiration, but overall it just has that mediocre quality. I actually enjoyed Machine Head alot more live than on the album (I saw them live long before hearing any recordings). But then again, I had quite a few drinks that night which always enhances a show.

I dont hate the blackening, it is probably a 3 star album, with something like Fallout boy being a 1, and mastodon's Leviathan being a 5(just my opinion) It is just underwhelming and generic metalcore with slightly more creative song structures. Hilarious that Metal Hammer named it album of the decade. (what were they smoking?) then again, metal hammer is a super lame publication.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Blackening forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Apr 9, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Blackening
The Blackening by Machine Head (Audio CD - 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars (124)