Would these perform well trying to identify snakes hiding under rock ledges? I would be within 10-20 feet of them.
[UPDATED] asked by Nicole on June 15, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
Yes, absolutely. You can be standing 6 feet from them and focus down on the top of their heads with great detail...Hope this helps.
Mike H. answered on June 15, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You could easily used these to see a snake 10-20 ft away safely. I would also suggest another trick to use. If you can, you pack a small mirror metal or glass compact. And you reflect light under the ledge at the spot you are trying to look at. You get better clarity with more light as well, but only if there is not enough light. The binoculars work really well at close range and quite well at medium to long range. Just not as much magnification at longer ranges like some of the big ones.

I use them for hunting and spotting look at the occasional lizard pumping at me.
Weylan Wang answered on June 15, 2013
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I own those binoculars and I have been on several herpetology field trips in the "snake country" of the southeast U.S. The short answer is no. It's dark under rock ledges, and fallen logs - or at least dim, and binoculars of any kind are of very limited help. If you were to be still and just observe they might help you distinguish fallen leaves from adjacent reptiles say, but under those circumstances you would be better off with a small telescope.
N S. answered on June 15, 2013
Comments (3) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I consider these binoculars to be high resolution and optically clear. They provide sharp focus on insects and vegetation as well as inanimate objects from as close as 2 1/2 feet (approximate) to many yards away. The answer to your question depends upon your knowledge of snake species, your ability to ascertain distinguishing characteristics, whether the snakes are on the line of sight, and a host of other variables. Are they good binoculars? Yes. Those with whom I have shared them have remarked "these are amazing; I've never seen binoculars like this".
Lyle L. answered on June 17, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product