4.0 out of 5 stars Super compact; only two flaws

Published on April 12, 2011 by Double Duty Momma

4.0 out of 5 stars Super compact; only two flaws, March 24, 2011
J. Yi (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: phil&teds Lobster Highchair, Black (Baby Product)
We love how compact this travel highchair is. We can put it in the basket of our stroller and whip it out as needed; it could probably even fit in a regular backpack or a very large diaper bag. The foldaway design is genius and we like the fact that it comes with/fits in its own small bag. We sold our Chicco 360 seat after getting this one, since this one is so much more portable.

That said, the two downsides to this otherwise very nicely-designed product are:

1) The included tray doesn't lock to the seat. While it's GREAT that a tray was even included, we would love if it locked into place with the seat so our little one couldn't push it out and overturn/fling it.

2) Because the way it connects to the table are basically two heavy duty clamps, it only works on tables without a lip. We've found we're able to use it only 50% of the time when dining out due to this, plus the regular restrictions when using a hook-on chair (not on a tippy pedestal table, etc.). This is a pretty big downer because not being able to use it in so many instances defeats the purpose of having it and the convenience of its small size.

3.0 out of 5 stars Might as well stick witht he Metoo, April 12, 2011
This review is from: phil&teds Lobster Highchair, Black (Baby Product)
After owning this for over a month I haven't been able to get much use out of it. Like the other reviews said, it doesn't work everywhere. This seat has more of a clamp than a hook so if the table has a lip it won't fit around it. so far I've only been able to use it about 40% of the time. The tray is also mostly useless. It doesn't clip into the seat. It just kind of sits in between the clamps. My 15 month old knows this so I stopped using the tray to just avoid having to pick up the tray and the food that was on it off the floor.
It does have some upgrades over the Phil & Teds Metoo chair. Extra padding and the storage bag with handle (although a very short handle) are a plus. I had a Metoo for a couple of years and have no complaints. After it was stolen I decided to hold off and wait for this one to come out. But in my opinion you might as well get the Metoo and save a bit of cash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, sturdy with some flaws, February 29, 2012
I agree with the other reviewers re: the limited use of the phil&ted's Lobster Highchair given that it's a clamp design and won't work with tables with lips or tables that are too thin (like the kind you find at Chinese banquet halls where they place a large round table top over their smaller table to create a larger table). I suppose this is for safety reasons, but still, it does limit the use of the chair. I really like the fact that it folds so compactly and comes with its own carrying bag. Also, the tray is an added bonus, though as other reviewers have mentioned, it doesn't clip on to the chair so it's fairly easy to remove by the kid, which defeats the purpose IMHO.

I'll focus on few things that it appears no one else has mentioned:
1) The seat is quite deep. I guess this is good because it means it has room to grow with the child, but we use it on our 11-month old, who is in the 75th percentile in height and he sits REALLY low in the chair. The first few times we used it, he did not like it at all as it seemed to be sunken in the chair. We have since placed a thick blanket in the bottom of the seat for him to elevate him, and that has helped.
2) There is virtually no space between the child and the table, which again, might be for safety reasons, but it makes the child's chest butt up against the edge of the table, which doesn't seem particularly comfortable to me. Luckily, we have a fairly skinny child so he fits fine in the chair, but I imagine that if you had a chubbier kid, this might be a bigger issue for you.
3) Like the other reviewer said, I wish the bag was zippered. However, to add to that, I also wish the bag was just slightly bigger so that it wouldn't be such a snug/tight fit when trying to put the chair back in it. It cant be a bit of a struggle. Perhaps a bag with some stretchy qualities to it might do the trick.

So, given these few flaws, I think I'd still recommend the chair. It's quite stylish, easy to take with us and the clamps feel very sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Decision we ever made, January 10, 2014
Have you ever been to a restaurant with a toddler? I have. The question is.. have you ever been to a restaurant with a toddler and felt like giving up on life and crawling back to your dank dark apartment and never leaving again? Because I have been there too. My toddler is the kind of child who wants all the attention at all times. She wants to get into everything and never let me do what I want to do.. even if what I want to do is the simple task of "eating." Do you remember "eating?" Like before children? Because to me it seemed like this blissful fairy tale that never actually existed but I had created in my mind to help me get through the dark times.

Then I bought the lobster chair. Red. Beautiful. Sexy even. It's got a soft, luxurious seat and claws that clamp so hard, aint nobody falling off that table. Trust me. I tested it myself. I do love my little gremlin, don't get me wrong, I want her safe. I just want to eat too.

The first time we took this to a restaurant it was like a miracle. Not only did she actually SIT in it.. she liked it. She sat in it swinging her legs and eating rice and smiling and never wanted out of it like she did with all those stupid wooden pieces of crap they call high chairs at most restaurants. I was so happy I almost cried. I actually got to eat at the same time as my husband and didn't have to wrestle an unruly demon child who wanted to say "hi" to every stranger at every table and then go back again for a second round of that.

If you're on the fence about this chair... do yourself a favor and take the leap. Worth every penny. I will never go back. I keep this in my trunk and feel panicky if I ever take a different car and forget it. It's a priceless tool that every parent should have.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylish but Too "Deep" For our 8-month old, September 16, 2012
I had already purchased the Inglesina Fast Chair. Our daughter has been using the Fast Chair since about four months and loves sitting in it. We get compliments on it when we are in restaurants and its fairly easy to clamp on with big rubber top and bottom clamps to protect tables.

But we decided that we'd probably prefer a snap on table with a tray as our daughter enters the "messy-eating-by-herself" stage. Enter the P&T Lobster. The P&T looks more stylish, is sleek, and has some serious clamp-on ability -- I certainly liked it better than the Inglesina. The only problem I had is that my daughter didn't! She's now 8 months old and a little over 26 inches tall. When she sits in the Inglesina she can easily see and manipulate items on the table in front of her, rest her arms on the chair sides, etc. There is still room to grow but she fits in it. In the P&T Lobster, the seat is so deep that she was drowning in it and while her head was still higher than the table top, she could no longer see things as well to interact with them. As a result, she doesn't like being in the chair and we've had to return it.

It's possible the P&T will work beautifully for older children, but for our sizeable 8 month old, it was just too deep.

One last thing, while this chair does have a tray, the tray simply slides in (and back out!) easily and has pretty small sides for holding food in. I didn't see a way to clip it to the chair or cause it to stay put when you have a wiggling kid trying to move everything around. It didn't strike me as a particularly solid or useful tray. I'm going with a tinydiner mat and the Inglesina for now until I find something better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Baby Gift Ever, February 27, 2014
This review is from: phil&teds Lobster Highchair, Black (Baby Product)
The Lobster highchair is quite possibly the greatest invention known to parentkind. It has saved my gypsy self an inordinate amount of trouble & stress when visiting coffee shops & friends for dinner. I wouldn't change a thing on this brilliant product… Maybe more colour options but that's really stretching ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice for a clip-on high chair, September 6, 2013
This review is from: phil&teds Lobster Highchair, Black (Baby Product)
We have had the phil&ted's lobster high chair for approximately six months and are very happy with it. It is attractive, free from the cheap, plastic, hideous color look that so many baby products have, and once it is clipped onto a table it is extremely secure. It also has straps to hold the baby in so he or she doesn't decide to jump out. It folds up nicely for taking to restaurants and friends' houses. We use it at home to clip onto the kitchen island so that the baby can be near us while we do jobs in the kitchen. Highly recommended.

Pros: lightweight, attractive, secure, folds up into a small package

Cons: tray can be pushed out by the child (we secured it with velcro) but it can be used without the tray as well, won't clip on to a table with a lip around the edge (but this is true of all "lobster claw" style clip-on high chairs)

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius design, it just makes sense, January 20, 2014
Todd Hebert "TH" (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
We take these with us to every restaurant and people are always amazed when they see our twins sitting in them. They are made of solid material and are easy to transport and put into place. The kids are always sitting at the perfect height to the table and get to eat "with us" rather than sitting in a high chair out in the middle of the walkway next to the table. They work best on heavy duty, square-ended tables, which just about every restaurant has, we normally just ask to choose our own table and they set up in about a minute. We'll really miss these once they outgrow them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it but baby needs to grow into it, September 19, 2013
This review is from: phil&teds Lobster Highchair, Black (Baby Product)
My 6 month old loves it but I think he needs to be taller since he moves so much and sometimes has hit his cute little chin. And then feeding is over. Easy to clean and assemble. The tray is useless by now but maybe later?

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for our 7 month old!, March 2, 2014
This review is from: phil&teds Lobster Highchair, Black (Baby Product)
We are about a week into using our Lobster and let me just say...AMAZING! We have gone through high chairs with 3 babies, and this is by far my favorite option!

Our 7 month old (who is on the smaller side) fits perfect. I love that she is right up at the same level as us at our pub style table. I usually leave it connected to the kitchen counter, and she is loves to watch me in the kitchen.

The first time I put her in the Lobster, she was content and comfortable to sit and watch me make dinner and snack on little puffs for over 30 minutes!

I also love that it takes up virtually NO place. It is so nice to have the old high chair out of the way!

I would definitely recommend this to everyone.

Thanks Phil and Teds for making another great product!

phil&teds Lobster Highchair, Black