Panasonic DMC-FZ150K 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $349.77
FZ150 photo quality compared to Canon SX40HS The Canon sx40hs has a bigger zoom and similar sensor, the FZ150 has some additional features like raw and faster burst, I wonder which camera has the better photo quality in regular light and low light. Ultimately photo quality may trump features for most of us. Which is really better? Anyone know?
asked by Roger James on October 9, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-17 of 17 answers
A
Thanks, Roger.

That's the way I bought my EOS 40D, but at least in that case I had a friend's 30D to play with first, and one could get the feel of the 40D in a store. You've confirmed what I described in my first post, with this camera, everything will have to be online. But, nowadays that's not necessarily a bad thing.
AH-1Z answered on November 20, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Amazon is now selling the Panasonic FZ150 for $629. (third party seller), and the Canon SX40 at $400. (Another Panasonic shortage like they had with the GH-2?). Is the price difference worth it? Is the price likely to drop back to where it was (about $430) before Christmas?
tborr123 answered on January 6, 2012

A
Wait.......It should sell about $419 to $429 when supply is normal. The low price was $389 for a short while during Christmas. I paid $429 back in November and thought it was a fair price...still do.
Roger James answered on January 6, 2012

A
Your right! the Canon SX40 at $350 is a much better value than the FZ150 at $495 but the SX40 is not a better camera. The Fz150 jpeg images are equal to or superior to Sx40. I used both cameras and stuck with the FZ150 because it was a slightly better camera overall but a significantly better camera for an advanced user or DSLR convert. The average user may do better with SX40 because it doesn't burden the user with advanced features that are on the FZ150. The bottom line is both cameras are great cameras and will take great pictures. Either one is a great choice...enjoy your SX40.
Roger James answered on February 13, 2012

A
Just saw some gorgeous photos (see: '1680mm handheld? Canon SX40HS makes it possible!'), where the guy is actually using the built in digital tele-extender at 2x. These hand-held images look awfully nice to my eye, and yes, that photographer mentions that he's heard a lot of great things about the Panasonic FZ150 as well. Seems those two are the best in their league. But check out those photos- I'm really surprised at the DTE function!
Joseph W. Szilagy answered on February 20, 2012

A
I purchased the Canon SX40HS for $350 in store. Best camera for the money hands down. Let them use the Panasonic FZ150 with RAW mode. Their just going to spend more time trying to turn that output into the JPG that Canon gives you right away. But they wont be able to because the Canon is known to have better JPG picture quality anyway. All for MUCH less money.
Joe User answered on February 13, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Canon has by most reviewers reckoning got better image quality. It does not handle RAW images but if that does not bother you, then you will get better results from the Canon
Harnser answered on November 13, 2011
Comment | 2 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product