Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale
Will this work to photograph the night sky on a GH2? Planning a visit to a dark sky site in Nevda. Thanks.
asked by R. Gonzalez on December 31, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
A Hoot answered on December 31, 2012
Comment (1) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Jim Hart answered on December 31, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Absolutely! The f/1.7 aperture is very good at the low-light surroundings like the Strip. GH2 is a great machine for vedio, try it out with this lens and you will be happy for it. BTW, I didn't know the price dropped to $340!!
C. Chen answered on December 31, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I used it in Maine a few months ago to get night sky shots and it worked well. You'll still need a long exposure (if I remember correctly, I was exposing for about ten seconds per shot). So a stable tripod is critical. But I was very pleased with the results.
B. Reichman answered on December 31, 2012

A
E. Mayer answered on December 31, 2012

A
Sure, depending on the shot you ave in mind you may want a wider angle. Key is to fix the camera and allow a long exposure... I guess any lens will do it, this one is brilliant for low light though.
Michiel Knoppert answered on January 1, 2013

A
Be sure to take a tripod; if possible, include some "foreground" objects, such as a hill or mountain. set the lens to f4 for maximum sharpness, use a shutter speed of 3 to 6 seconds. Before you go to Nevada, practice taking some night pictures at home or a nearby place first! Lou Toth
Louis D. Toth answered on January 1, 2013

A
Yes;but like others have said a wider lens may also be the ticket.
aaron answered on January 2, 2013

A
Will the 20 1.7 work for the night sky. The short answer is yes. The lens is sharp and is fast. No stabilization though and it is more or less a standard wide angle. The cost of the lens is low, when one considers the image quality and the fact it is a pancake, which is very convenient. I consider this a must have lens. Hope this helps.
johnreid answered on January 3, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I would think u still need a tripod. This is really for indoor situations.
S. Meng answered on December 31, 2012
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product