Is it easy to take pictures with shallow depth of field using the std 16-50mm kit lens?
[UPDATED] asked by blisslight on April 6, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
No. Kinda. The kit lens does not provide the aperture needed to get shallow but there are some effects built in to the camera that can create it to some degree. You will need a different lens to really enjoy shallow DoF. Sigma has come out with a compatible f1.8 lens that won't break the bank.
Rocco III answered on April 7, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm a bit of a newbie - so am probably not the best person to ask. I think to get really shallow depth of field you may need to look to add a different lens - but you'd really be better off asking an expert : )
MR PETER J KING answered on April 7, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, you won't get really shallow depth of field with the 16-50 kit zoom or the DoF modifications available in the menu. But lay out $50 or less for an old manual focus 50mm f/1.4 or 1.8 and an adapter, focus it manually with the peak focus feature, and you'll get fine image quality with all the DoF control you could want, easily. It's beautiful.
Ken answered on February 5, 2014
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The biggest aperture for this is F3.5, which is not that big. But it does give some bokeh effect. Whether it meets your definition of shallow DoF depends on you I guess. U might want to hunt around the web for sample photos?
Callandor answered on April 8, 2013

A
I am not an expert, but for my use, the 16-50mm kit lens does a job.
K. J. Lee answered on April 8, 2013

A
Sorry I have limited use of the NEX-6 so far. The range and depth of this lens has been very sufficient for the subjects I have encountered up to the present
Dennis Uskert answered on April 10, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product