Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

How does the game play using a regular Dualshock controller?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2011 1:44:37 PM PDT
C. Marshall says:
Hey guys I'm seriously thinking about buying this game in a few days so PLEASE tell me how good this game responds using a standard controller since I'm too cheap to buy a Playstation Move set. Any comments will be appreciated. :)

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 5:01:27 PM PDT
marshall,

i was concerned about this as well and until this game, i didn't have the move peripheral.

i just posted a full review, but to boil down, i did not find the dualshock to work well with this title at all. the shoot buttons are X and R1...it feels very akward. i wish it had been R2, but remapping the controls wasn't an option.

this game responds far better to the move. however, if you are exceptionally good at fps games, i would think you would adapt quite well.

i hope this helps! the game is a blast!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 6:07:09 PM PDT
C. Marshall says:
Thank you so much. I'll probably still buy this game even if the controls are a little clunky and bizarre(R1 and X to shoot..seriously?) Hopefully I'll adapt quickly to this great zombie game. I'll give my opinion on the Dualshock controller configuration when I pick this title up in the near future in order to help others out with this dilemma.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 6:15:42 PM PDT
you are quite welcome! the game is definitely still worth having, and you sound like you will get accustomed to it straightaway (i had to laugh at your comment on the controls).

i wasn't sure i was going to buy the move peripheral at all, but ended up getting it on sale just for this game (i'm looking forward to trying it out with littlebigplanet and heavy rain, as well).

happy zombie hunting! and let me know how you end up feeling about the dualshock. maybe i was just really bad with it...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 2:10:28 PM PDT
C. Marshall says:
Mindful Consumer, I will be buying this game tomorrow so I'll either have my review on Friday or Saturday at the latest(I wanna allow "trial and error" time to adjust to the configuration). I can't wait to play this awesome looking game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 7:51:17 PM PDT
Josh says:
I've only gotten a chance to play through the first couple levels, but I played through the original on the wii, and playing with the dualshock on the ps3 is definitely trickier and a bit frustrating at times. I don't care about using R1 or X to shoot (or square to reload). That felt natural to me. The real problem is that the zombies move so fast it's hard to aim and shoot accurately with the dualshock. Headshots and combos are definitely harder to come by, and it's a lot harder to shoot/pick up items in the background (since they're usually in view for less time than it takes to move the cursor over to them). I spent a long time and died a lot on the second boss (one of the 2 new levels) just because I couldn't keep up with its speed using the controller. Just my initial thoughts, though. I'll probably get used to the controls over time and might be able to experiment with the cursor sensitivity to make it a bit easier. It's still a lot of fun and worth picking up...and you do get unlimited continues if the controls do get you killed now and then.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 1:05:48 AM PDT
marshall,
you're going to have a fun weekend (and hopefully not a frustrating one)!

josh,
i agree, the dualshock was tricky, however my accuracy still came out better with the controller than with the move (and i have pretty decent hand/eye coordination). playing it with the move we could rarely get good combos and rarer still get a 'goregasm" (which i can't believe i just typed on the internet). as for that second boss...yikes. with two of us playing we both died a couple of times and we were using the move. i feel like the bosses in this one are ramped up a bit with being harder...but only in that it takes far more repetition than before. i'm also not a fan of the new 'target' moments. i read that someone said to disable the magnet detection(?) for the move peripheral on the playstation menu (i assume either under settings or controller settings). they said this helped with the drift issue. i'm going to reset mine tomorrow and see if it works better for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 5:36:04 PM PDT
C. Marshall says:
Mindful Consumer, I have an update on the game. Unfortunately, my local Wal-Mart and K-Mart stores did not have the game in stock(maybe cause it was a port?) this really bummed me out. However, I have placed an order on Amazon and my game will arrive on Monday(cannot wait.) So.. instead of a fun weekend it will be an awesome zombie-filled Halloween bro. I will also post my review of the entire game as a bonus. Also, a quick thank you to ALL who have helped me with advice to this game, you guys are awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 5:38:33 PM PDT
C. Marshall says:
Thank you for you detailed review of the configuaration bro. You were extremely helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 5:54:11 PM PDT
marshall,
darn! i'm sorry you won't be playing until monday, but it seems you have an exciting weekend in store anyway. i will definitely check out your review when you post it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 2:14:35 PM PDT
C. Marshall says:
I just published my review of the game so check it out if you want to. Just look for "A truly unique zombie experience" as the title. I thought the the controller worked well with this title but there were a few issues I had. Headshots on fast moving zombies was nearly impossible as were picking up power-ups like health and slow-mo icons. My accuracy overall is around 65 percent...so I guess it's not great but still playable. Give me your thoughts on my review if you get a chance bro!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 2:19:27 PM PDT
marshall, i will check it out right now!
i concur on the headshot issues and forget the (this word is so...colorful) goregasm achievement. i was only able to really work at both with the move controller. and i hear you with the power ups. i could barely get any of them (and the slo-mofo one would have been the most appreciated!). and 65% with the controller is still good!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about