Customer Discussions > A Thousand Splendid Suns forum

please help i need recommendations

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2007 4:10:14 PM PDT
H. Khan says:
hey i read kite runner and splendid suns both and absolutely LOVED them
the problem is everytime i finish his books. i look for otehr books to read but whenever i find one it just doesnt compare?
does anyone have any sggestions as to what i can read next?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2007 4:50:07 AM PDT
Alyson D says:
Last year one of my absolute favorite books was Kite Runner. My other hands-down favorite was Shadow of the Wind. Have you read that one? It is not about Afghanistan, but the story is interesting and it's very well written and entertaining.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2007 6:13:02 PM PDT
"Fall on Your Knees" by Ann-Marie MacDonald. It's stunning.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2007 10:13:42 PM PDT
Chris says:
Try "All the Tea in China" by Jane Orcutt

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 10:10:40 AM PDT
Dimmi Khan says:
Read Shadow of the Wind or the Alchemist. Both are really brilliant and astounding novels, much better than the one dimensional cartoon characters of Kite Runner and Suns.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2007 2:32:54 PM PDT
Read If You Lived Here by Dana Sachs. The novel merges women of the American South with women of Vietnam. It is a wonderful book and was choosen by B&N Booksellers as a Discover New Writers pick.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2007 7:00:38 PM PDT
Hi,
I have read both Kite Runner and Splendid Suns and loved both. Some of my other top favorites include Memoirs of a Geisha and The Glass Castle. Memoirs of a Geisha will offer you the richly detailed writing that you find yourself absorbed in (similar to Hosseini's writing). Memoirs is obviously not in Afghanistan, but it is a very culture rich novel. The Glass Castle is a unique, fast reading memoir. Everyone I have recommnended it to has loved it. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2007 10:40:50 AM PDT
A. Reinstein says:
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. It is excellent!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2007 7:48:51 PM PDT
I also loved "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and was afraid I would not find another book that I could savor and enjoy, i have to say I was wrong. I just finished "The Blood of Flowers" by Anita Amirrezvannin and it was fabulous, set in 17th century Persia it totally comes to life. I would recommend this as the next book after Hosseni,but now what?
Leslie in Napa

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2007 8:27:11 AM PDT
INFIDEL It is non fiction, but has a lot of the same content as Hosseni's books. It is an unbelievable read. You will leave you with your mouth wide open and wanting more!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2007 12:29:53 PM PDT
Pino says:
Khaled Hosseini endorsed a book called The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by a young ethopian writer Dinaw Mengestu. That's a good place to start.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2007 9:29:15 PM PDT
lscollison says:
Yes, "Kite Runner" was great, and I was moved by the themes of friendship and betrayal, but "Splendid Suns" was so depressing for me. Maybe because it hits close to home. Although my novel "Star-Crossed" is about an 18th century orphaned British teen in dire straights, there is one issue central to both "Star-Crossed" and "Splendid Suns": Females were/are utterly dependent on their fathers/husbands, unable to vote, own property, follow a career. Had my character Patricia been born in Afghanistan, in any century, would she have been able to do what she did in "Star-Crossed"? I don't know!

If reading about an 18th-century teen who stows away on a ship bound for Barbados isn't to your tastes, have you read "Suite Francaise" by Irene Nemirovsky? I recommend it highly.

-- Linda Collison, author of Star-Crossed (Knopf;2006)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 3:01:38 PM PDT
Rach says:
I read The Kite Runner as part of required reading for my freshman composition class, and another book we read that semester that I loved was Princess by Jean Sasson. It's part of a trilogy, and I haven't read the other 2 but I hear they are wonderful, and I can't help but think of that book as I'm in the process of reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2007 9:18:00 PM PDT
L. Sheldon says:
a book a will never forget is "a fine balance" by rohinton mistry. takes place in India...........truly great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2007 9:43:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 20, 2007 9:44:19 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 12:08:47 PM PDT
A. Baldwin says:
"Cry, the beloved country," by Alan Paton. About South Africa apartied.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 12:43:46 PM PDT
Bee says:
I agree with Khan, the Alchemist is great, although pretty short. I also loved the Yacoubian building. It was fantastic, about Egyptian culture. Good luck! =)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2007 7:57:09 AM PDT
In 2006, I read quite a few books for someone as happy a juvenile reader as I am. My other favourites of last year were - "TIS" by Frank McCourt (sequel to Angela's Ashes) , "Million Little Pieces" by James Frey and the mightiest book, possibly the best I have read, would be "SHANTARAM" by Sir Gregory David Roberts.

Shantaram is life-altering and I can say that without thinking twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2007 10:16:25 PM PDT
Author Mary Renault's trilogy on Alexander The Great

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 1:46:57 PM PDT
Try God Grew Tired of Us by John Bul Dau. A heartwrenching memoir of a Lost Boy from Sudan. Documentary film narrated by Nicole Kidman has been released but read the book first. You'll never forget him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2007 6:17:03 PM PDT
K. Johnson says:
"Left to tell" is amazing-- life altering. About the Rwandan holocaust.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2007 8:45:50 PM PDT
anards says:
I loved both these books also and have the same problems. I thoroughly enjoyed Snowflower and the Secret Fan. Also, The Glass Castle was good and Life of Pi, for a real challenge, The Time Traveler's Wife. Hope these help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2007 4:42:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2007 4:43:18 PM PDT
Sarah says:
Devil's Playground by Said Zia, it is only available used on Amazon - but it is amazing! It is similar to The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, (as it is about a little boy growing up in Afghanistan) but it is a TRUE story... hilarious, heartwarming and exciting. I totally recommend it for anyone who likes Hosseini's books!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2007 4:46:39 PM PDT
Mirel's Daughter by Kay Gill is a wonderful read!!! It recounts the escape of the author's jewish mother from pre-holocaust Russia when she was a child. Mirel's Daughter is a moving, uplifting book and (this mostly true book) is very, very good!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2007 1:48:12 PM PDT
T. Yacko says:
I have read Kite Runner, Splendid Suns and Shadow of the Wind. Hosseini spins a moving novel about a land that few of us have had the opportunity to personally experience - other than what the media elects to provide. I found both of his books to be excellent novels and quick reads. Shadow of the Wind was an outstanding novel, even though it has been translated into English. I wonder if the original version in Spanish was as masterfully written as the translation. If so, he is a superior author to Hosseini due to his unique and descriptive writing style and characters.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  50
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Paperback - November 25, 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (3,512)