please stop all this hate toward the last airbender movie!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2010 11:38:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2010 1:49:35 AM PDT
JMC41 says:
The Last Airbender movie haters, please stop all these negative reviews to prevent us movie fans from getting sequels!!!

I have never seen so much hatred from fan boys of any other adaptations. Just because you don't like this interpretation doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. How many of the super low ratings come from people who have not seen the animation series and do not include comparisons between the tv and movie versions?

I never saw the cartoon before I saw the movie. It may be better but so what? I love the movie. It is so interesting and beautiful, filled with awesome real life bending effects and positive themes including peace and acceptance.

This is not the worst the movie in history, not even close. I have no idea what the critics are talking about and I am disappointed to see them making professional judgments that may have been clouded by their dislike of the director.

Now as to those critics who claim the movie is confusing, if they don't get this simple plot about a boy who needs to face his responsibility and keep the world at peace, how can they understand Inception (an interesting movie by the way and nothing against it)?

Apparently these critics have already decided that Inception is such a great movie no matter how disconnected or illogical some parts may be. So, in their reviews, they tell you this movie makes you think and if you don't understand, it means you can't think and therefore you must be dumb.

Of course nobody wants to admit they are dumb so... A+! 5 Stars! 10 out of 10!

On the other hand, the Last Airbender is just plain bad and so you must have bad taste if you like or understand the story.

Well, I think I have pretty good taste in movies and I think this movie is epic.

I have never seen prettier fighting or battle scenes.

The music was epic, and the special effects were epic.

I WANT SEQUELS!

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 12:53:14 AM PDT
PlanetHell says:
Your right. In context to the original series, some of the characters tend to be different races. But most of the characters were never clearly defined, some believe everyone should be asian which is utter nonsense. The ending was only different in that Aang didn't destroy the fleets, only stopped them. Less violent sort of. It covered the whole first season pretty much...

Back to the movie itself, some people just want to hate on M Night., which is ridicoulous. He has made many good movies (though Signs was bad).

Also any movie that isn't a brain-fart, or "art" is automatically considered bad by critics, who are beyond close-minded. Between them, the M Night haters, and whiney TV show fans, the hate will be all over. However they are definitely going foward with one sequel, with the intentions to close with a trilogy (to cover the second and third-last seasons basically). So, at least for "The Last Airbender 2", we have nothing to worry about.

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 11:50:04 PM PDT
I actually mostly agree with you and I'm an avid fan of the cartoon. I just consider them different animals, but I don't believe the movie was quite as horrible as people are making it sound. Noah is adorable and I love the way the bending techniques were done, even with the more complicated movements. I'm actually hoping for a "Book 2" sequel at the very least. With the inclusion of the Kyoshi warriors, M. Night might be able to fix one of the errors the fans are the most upset about. (It does disappoint me that the creators of the series apparently hate movie though - even though they haven't officially released a statement about it.)

I will correct you on one point, however. This series has a ton of fan-GIRLS as well. *points to self* ^^;

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 1:58:12 PM PDT
Vivian Rose says:
I'm definitely buying the Combo pack! I loved the movie! Yes, I've seen the series from the moment it aired on Nickelodeon and loved every bit of it BUT I did not let it ruin the movie for me.

I'm not a fan of cartoon to movie adaptations which was a big reason as to why I didn't bother watching the Dragon Ball movie. To me, it's enjoyable as an anime, period. I hold nothing against the movie though, unlike others who criticize it like they do Airbender. So when A:TLA was announced for live action I was unsure about it but then I saw M. Night as the director and LOVED the teaser and I decided that I would watch it, to support the shows creators, M. Night and the actors/actresses he would choose. This was his first try at something that wasn't his own, so he had my FULL support. I went in to the movie with no expectations and came out VERY happy. Yes it has it's flaws but that didn't ruin my enjoyment. I saw the movie on July 3rd in a Clearview cinema I have NEVER been to, which was empty aside from maybe 6 people, on top of the fact that I hadn't even been to the theaters in YEARS and even though I felt weird as the movie started...by the end I was comfortable and very pleased with what I saw.

Seriously, I had a crap load of issues when I went in to the theater, not including the fact that it was my dad's B-day (was his b-day present) and I had the constant worry that my family wouldn't like it. Aside from a few surprises (they didn't know about the name changes and my sister found Zuko ugly. lol Only because she's never seen Dev Patel before and we both have different tastes on "cute" & "handsome") they really enjoyed the movie. Which truly made my day.

And soon I can finally see the movie again as many times as I want in the comfort of my home while lounging on the couch. xD
I'm SO excited.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 11:45:08 AM PDT
People cannot hate the movie that you love. That's just common sense. They must be either dumb or have no taste. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the movie itself.

PlanetHell says: Some people just want to hate on M Night., which is ridiculous. He has made many good movies.

You do know in English the word "many" means more than 2, right? Can you spot this trend for me?

The Sixth Sense (1999) - 8.2/10
Unbreakable (2000) - 7.3/10
Signs (2002) - 6.9/10
The Village (2004) - 6.6/10
Lady in the Water (2006) - 5.8/10
The Happening (2008) - 5.2/10
The Last Airbender (2010) - 4.4/10

Yeah, there are many... And people think Michael Bay sucks for no reason too.

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 2:55:24 PM PDT
ShadowFalls says:
I think it is more that people are doing a direct comparison to the series and you can't do that. You need to see them as completely different representations of the story. It is the same when people compare books to movies.. There are always people who complain about not including something or something in the movie that isn't in the book. Rate at as what it is, not as what you are comparing it to.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 10:41:36 AM PDT
You're so right. I am a huge fan of the cartoons . . . and not very fond of critics. They usually don't like what I like. Evidence, comedies are almost never nominated for Oscars, but some comedy movies are just flat out brilliant. It's not hard to make someone cry with a sad story, but to make someone laugh takes skill.

But I digress. The Last Airbender rocked. I saw it with a friend who has never seen or heard of the cartoon, and we both loved it. It was exciting, it was to use your words epic, and I think that the translation to the screen was as good as squeezing an entire season of a cartoon into 2 hours could be.

My favorite objection is that the kids aren't Asian enough. Oh, I'm sorry . . . where exactly is Fire Nation, Japan or Earth Kingdom, Korea? I forget. They're not Asian. I'm not even sure if it's this planet. Seriously . . . people can't believe they're not Asian, but bending elements, that's fine.

Kudos for the post! And I agree that I'm not dumb either. I have two doctorates to prove it.

I WANT SEQUELS TOO! AANG USING ALL FOUR ELEMENTS TO FIGHT THE FIRE LORD WILL ROCK ON THE BIG SCREEN!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 1:18:48 AM PDT
Vivian Rose says:
I'm sorry but people who either love or hate something ALWAYS say "dumb" or "have no taste" when people criticize or enjoyed that something.

I don't care if people don't like M. Night's movies. That is THERE opinion. The issue is the DISRESPECT. If you didn't like a movie or found it disappointing for whatever reason then state those reasons in a proper manner. Talk about the positives and negatives but DON'T be a ass about it.

Otherwise you'll end up looking like the majority of IMDB forums.

Also, NO ONE knows how many people like and dislike a movie. It's all about numbers and those numbers can't be trusted when "silly" ignorant bias people have control of the results. Especially when they have more then 1 account.

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 12:38:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 8:08:45 AM PDT
It's true. But luckily we have a system called Capitalism. People vote their likes and dislikes with real dollars, so the suppliers know what to produce. The Last Airbender costs $280 millions ($150 millions on movie budget and $130 millions on marketing) and makes $290 millions ($130 millions domestic and $160 millions worldwide).

If I have $280 millions and if the first movie tanked, should I make a squeal? Or should I invest it in something else. Decision... decision... decision...

So if you all want a sequel, vote with your dollars and not your love.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 3:36:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 6:44:26 PM PDT
Andrew,

Yeah, cause heaven forbid someone actually having a difference of opinion...

I don't understand why people feel compelled to be so immature. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but insulting anyone who doesn't hold the same opinion is plain childish (ex. regarding your comment).

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 7:06:23 PM PDT
I wish we have more people like you in the world. It will be a much better place... Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya. Oh Lord, kumbaya. Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2010 1:59:38 AM PDT
Vivian Rose says:
So you assume people who say they liked the movie, are people who didn't bother 'paying' for the movie?

Then I guess everyone who dislikes it apparently didn't even watch the movie and say they hate it, just because.
Although, I'm sure there are people who actually did that.

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 12:07:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2010 12:24:16 PM PDT
There are families of 4 in NY would love this movie very very much but couldn't afford to go to the theater because of the economy. They may not even buy it on Blu-ray or DVD, and will wait until it hits to local library.

There are also lots of Mexican in TX would love this movie very very much but didn't go because there's no Spanish subtitle.

There are movie nuts who will watch anything under sun but they were traveling in the summer.

There are people who watched and hated it. Then forced to watch it again with their nieces and nephews when they visit.

There are people who watched and LOVED it. Watch it again with friends and family. Some of their friends and family liked it, some didn't.

Couples go out on a date, randomly picked this movie. Watched it. She loved it. He hated it.

So what? What's your point? Are we talking about should've, would've, could've or are we still talking about this movie barely breaking even. If these people hate it and didn't go, they didn't contribute to the $290 million revenue. So they won't matter, correct? Doesn't matter how loud and obnoxious they are, they can't possibly preventing a sequel. The bottom line is there aren't enough people who love this movie.

Is religious groups loud and obnoxious enough? They didn't stop The Da Vinci Code and The Temptation of the Christ, did they?

Is Caddyshack bad enough? Star Wars Eposide I? Revenge of the Nerds? How about all the Friday the 13th movies? They all get sequels. Do you want to guess why?

So if you all want a sequel, vote with your dollars and not your love.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2010 1:42:12 AM PDT
Vivian Rose says:
Who are you even responding to?

If it was to me then...
My post was in reply to this:
"So if you all want a sequel, vote with your dollars and not your love."

I should have quoted it before.

The movie in total made over 300mil whether people loved or hated it. So yea, most of those people DID pay with there dollars AND there love.

And this:
-- "There are families of 4 in NY would love this movie very very much but couldn't afford to go to the theater because of the economy. They may not even buy it on Blu-ray or DVD, and will wait until it hits to local library /(how about: premiers on TV)/.

There are also lots of Mexican in TX would love this movie very very much but didn't go because there's no Spanish subtitle.

There are movie nuts who will watch anything under sun but they were traveling in the summer." --

None of these people in those examples even saw the movie. So they can't really have an opinion on it if they never even saw it. If they do, then they are either just being positive or they know what types of movies they like, so they already knew they would without even seeing it. Still, they didn't see the movie nor did they pay to see it, so those examples have no relevance.

Now this:
-- "There are people who watched and hated it. Then forced to watch it again with their nieces and nephews when they visit. /(you have to feel sorry for these people)/

There are people who watched and LOVED (enjoyed) it. Watch it again with friends and family. Some of their friends and family liked it, some didn't.

Couples go out on a date, randomly picked this movie. Watched it. She loved it. He hated it." --

They saw it and payed for it, even if some didn't like it. The movie still got it's money. So again, these people 'payed' to see the movie. If they feel it was a waist of there money then that is there opinion and nothing else.

You assume that people who liked it didn't pay to see it. Which is how I took this:

"So if you all want a sequel, vote with your dollars and not your love."

Like I said before you can never truly know how many people like or dislike something. There are many people in the world who go to the movies and not all of them voice there opinion on the internet. So the people who like or dislike something and say so on the internet are the "minority".

A movie makes enough money for a sequel then good for them. The people who didn't like it the first time around will obviously not spend there money to see it. The people who did see the first movie will be happy and go see the next movie. If you don't like that fact then move on.

I haven't reviewed the movie even though I saw it because I'm not good at writing reviews and I only saw it once with my family who enjoyed it. Once I get the Combo pack of the movie and see it more then once then maybe I'll try to write a review.

Oh and:
"Doesn't matter how loud and obnoxious they are, they can't possibly preventing a sequel."

Who said they would?

and:
"The Temptation of the Christ" = The Passion of the Christ

this and Da Vinci Code are religious movies. There are people who just plain hate any movie that deals with religion, period. I mean, did you see all the negative people criticizing The Book of Eli because they thought it was a religious movie? Some people have some serious issues.

You know, you keep saying how people should use there dollars if they want a sequel. They did and are now waiting for the sequel to be green lit. They will buy the DVD/BluRays which will add even more money to the potential movie sequel. So I again don't see why your posting any of this.

If you don't like the movie then that is your deal. I'm sure there are plenty of movies out there that you like/love and should be commenting on those and not here.

I'm not the greatest responder since to me I don't feel like I'm very good at expressing my opinion but I still try.

Anyways, have a nice day and goodbye.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2010 2:43:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 3, 2010 2:45:43 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 10:28:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2010 10:35:47 AM PDT
"The movie in total made over 300mil whether people loved or hated it. So yea, most of those people DID pay with there dollars AND there love."

Does the word profit means anything to you? The movie did make $290 millions but it cost $280 millions. As I said, there aren't enough people who loves this movie.

"None of these people in those examples even saw the movie. So they can't really have an opinion on it if they never even saw it. If they do, then they are either just being positive or they know what types of movies they like, so they already knew they would without even seeing it."

So which one is it? Can people know what types of movies they dislike, so they already knew they wouldn't without even seeing it. I know I won't find Dinner for Schmucks funny before I go see it. I wonder why...

"Still, they didn't see the movie nor did they pay to see it, so those examples have no relevance."

Come again? Does the word profit means anything to you? If more people pay to see this movie, the profit will be higher than $10 millions. Doesn't matter if people didn't see it because it's untrue to the original; hated M. Night, the color is too blue; or price of tea in China is too high. They didn't go; they didn't pay. The movie didn't make enough money because there aren't enough people who loves to see this movie.

"You assume that people who liked it didn't pay to see it."

Did I say that? The movie made $290 millions, right? Except it cost $280 millions. There aren't enough people who loves this movie.

"Like I said before you can never truly know how many people like or dislike something."

Does the word research means anything to you? Movie studios paid marketing research firms to conduct marketing research and customer satisfaction survey. Do you ever wonder why some movies screens in Easter and some screens in the summer? Why some movie have a bigger advertising budget and some do straight on DVD? We might never know the details of the marketing research but this much we know: IMDB score 4.4, Rotten Tomato rating 6%, Amazon Blu-Ray sales rating 140. What was the phrase I am looking for? Oh yeah, there aren't enough people who loves this movie.

"A movie makes enough money for a sequel then good for them. The people who didn't like it the first time around will obviously not spend there money to see it. The people who did see the first movie will be happy and go see the next movie."

Thank you very much for agreeing with me. What are the percentage of people who watched The Last Airbender will watch The Last Airbender II if it comes out? Look at the scores above again. Will it be 100%, 90%... or 60%. Let's say 90%. Projected movie sales is 90% of $290 millions equal to $261 millions. Assume there's no inflation and no adjustment to labor and cost. The movie still cost $280 millions to make.

Will you spend $280 millions to make a movie that will make $261 millions on a extremely optimistic case? Decision... decision... decision...

""The Temptation of the Christ" = The Passion of the Christ"

Do you know what you are talking about? You don't even know what The Temptation of the Christ is, do you?

"You know, you keep saying how people should use there dollars if they want a sequel. They did and are now waiting for the sequel to be green lit. They will buy the DVD/BluRays which will add even more money to the potential movie sequel."

Please read explanation above. If you don't understand, read it again. The Blu-ray sales isn't impressive either. It made $10 millions so far. That's where your $300 millions came from. $290 millions from movie sales and $10 millions from media. Remember the new word we leaned today? Profit. $10 million media sales is about $5 million profit. The studio makes about $12 a disc. And the grand total profit is now $15 millions.

What's my point? Do you really think 90% of people who watched The Last Airbender will watch The Last Airbender II? Do you think the haters are really the minority? Do you think the studio can break even on the sequel?

What's the new word again? Profit. If the studio can make more money on the first, they will definitely not invest in the sequel. And it's very short right now.

So if you all want a sequel, vote with your dollars and not your love. Love can't even buy you a loaf of bread. And if they make a sequel with a lower budget because of the lower projected income. It's going to be crapper than the first one...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2010 11:07:51 AM PDT
Vivian Rose says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 1:44:53 AM PDT
There is a great deal of hate towards this movie because the director took a vast and incredible universe and did a very bad chop job on it. The Last Airbender isn't a bad movie if you take it by it's own laurels. The actors were decent, the martial arts and bending was good, the ideals were excellent, and on it's own it would be an excellent beginning to a trilogy. The problem so many people have, the movie has very little in touch with the series it's based on. The film left out several vital characters, several vital locations, and some incredible plot twists and turns. I would have been delighted with a two or two and a half hour movie that touched on some of these needed concepts.

*** SPOILERS FOR THE CARTOON ***

-The Kyoshi Warriors
-The King of Omashu
-Where the waterbending scroll actually came from.
-Jet and his band of miscreants
-Bato and knowing that somewhere Sokka and Katara's father is alive.
-The Northern Air Temple and it's new inhabitants, the 'war machines' most importantly.

The movie could have expanded on any of the subject, heck, it could have even worked a little harder at being true to the characters. I'm going to buy the movie, but I will always consider it inferior to the series. Not because of the director, not because of the actors, but because when compared to the rich and beautiful universe it was based on we didn't get our money's worth. When based on the universe of Catagators and elephant koi, bending masters and avatars of the elements, friends and enemies, lessons and morals... We got almost none of what made the series so successful and loved. I would give this movie five stars if it touched on the needed characters and felt more like a story instead of a montage. Instead, it gets three stars and a purchase. I'll watch it and enjoy it, but the film will never be as satisfying as the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2010 7:02:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2010 11:33:40 PM PDT
PlanetHell says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 7:07:10 PM PDT
PlanetHell says:
"$290 millions but it cost $280 millions"

The movie could easily make 50-80 mil on DVD, and this is not including merchandising, and the amount of DVD's of the TV show that will sell because of the film. The sequel could easily make far more money as well. Plus it made over 312 million worldwide...

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 1:01:11 PM PDT
People who didn't like the first are going to flock to watch the sequel. A movie has poor rating is going to generate more interest in the squeal. The sequel could easily make far more money than the original.

How did I miss that link?

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 2:12:50 PM PDT
S. Jenkins says:
Have you ever considered that the hatred is justified because it is his/her opinion?

Then again I remember people's dollars and repeated business is what will keep or toss further sequels.

I dunno...I shouldn't insert some common business sense or logic here....who am I kidding...

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 7:24:35 AM PDT
Dawn Avery says:
You guys can enjoy this movie if you want. I went to the theaters with my group of friends, all of us fans of the TV show, and we were horribly disappointed. You can claim that we didn't like it only because it wasn't exactly like the TV show if it makes you feel better, but the truth of the matter is that it's just not a good movie.

1. There's NO character development
2. We don't feel ANY attachment to the characters
3. The bending is atrocious - instead of being instant, people have to do a twenty second dance routine to do anything (It'd just be more effective to go punch them in the face while they are dancing instead of standing around waiting for them).
4. The people in the world are too dumb to live, ESPECIALLY the Earthbenders who were being forced to mine... in a mountain... MADE. OF. ROCK. Arrrrgggghhh.
5. Senseless cuts like the Kyoshi Warriors, who were removed at the last minute for some god forsaken reason.
6. Really bad acting all around (Few exceptions).
7. Having Katara Narrate the entire movie is probably the worst offender though. Instead of showing us, we're being told what is happening. We hear about them liberating other camps, but we don't see it. I know showing ALL of them is out of the question, but ANYTHING would have done better than just being told what has happened...

If you want me to compare it to the cartoon, my list would EASILY double in size, but I won't do that.

Basically, the film is bad because it fails at a lot of basic stuff (SHOW, DON'T TELL), and the like.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 6:26:27 PM PST
S. F. says:
I love the series, and I wanted to like the movie. I even watched the special they had on Nick before the movie came out (it still does not make any sense to me why M. Night would say that his favorite part of the movie was the Kyoshi Warriors, when HE CUT THEM OUT!!! How can you say that a part that isn't in the movie is your favorite part???). I agree that there is basically no character development in the movie. Sokka and Katara were actually pretty well cast, but Aang was just so one dimensional. He was just "Angry" Aang the whole time. I didn't see any of the playful kid that ended up growing up to be a true "Avatar". His acting reminded me of the kid who played, "Annie", in Star Wars: Episode I, it was that bad.
This was actually the first movie where I really wanted to walk up to the box office, and see if they'd give me my money back, in order to buy a ticket to any other movie that was playing.
And I know that a lot of people hate on M. Night, and before this movie, I was still defending him, saying that his movies may not all be Sixth Sense quality, but most of them were still pretty good. I've stopped doing that now.
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with most of Dawn's comments above. I can overlook points #4 and 7 (I can understand needing to narrate for time constraints), but everything else I agree with. If they do a part 2, I know that the group I went with will wait till it comes on Netflix to watch it. Maybe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 11:32:55 PM PST
There are a few points in your argument that a lot of people use to bash the movie that I think should be considered.

3. The bending takes longer, but it enabled the movie to communicate the "martial arts" aspect of bending without having to cover the entire story that Book 1 covers. If you just saw someone flick their wrist and move a boulder, it would look more like the force from Star Wars instead of a martial art. The show had enough time to detail the different styles of martial arts used in bending because it showed a LOT of clips of the characters practicing over a 90-episode span, but the movie didn't have that luxury.

4. In the series, the earthbenders were also supplied with earth they could have used to fight back. They chose not to for fear of what the Fire Nation would do if they tried to escape. Katara spent a lot of time convincing them to use the coal Aang had brought them, but they were STILL hesitant because of the potential for retribution. In my view, the similarities are there between that scene in the movie and the show.

5. M. Night explained that he cut the Kyoshi Warriors so he could build them up more in the next movie. He didn't see a reason to barely introduce a integral character. People who knew who she was still would have been disappointed because the movie wouldn't have spent enough time focusing on her. People who didn't know who she was would just be utterly confused as to why they introduced a character they didn't spend time to build up. I'm not saying M. Night will do a good job with the Kyoshi Warriors, but after hearing this explanation, I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding this aspect.

7. I agree with the fact that the narration seemed over-done. I think it was good during the parts that they didn't have time to expand on, but I think it was an overuse of the show's use of Katara as a narrator.

Your argument of "show, don't tell" doesn't hold the same weight when you're dealing with the limited time of a movie. Showing Aang freeing villages would take time if it's done right. Narrating over a montage saves that time. Honestly, I think they should have added 30-60 minutes more of footage - but even if they had, I would've rather they narrated those scene and included or expanded on missing or neglected elements of the plot (explaining more about the Avatar lives like Roku, for instance).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  36
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Sep 3, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions