Was about to buy until I plugged my existing surge protector into the Kill-A-Watt

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2011 7:12:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2011 7:22:05 AM PDT
Mmm says:
This is a great concept. However, "Phantom power consumption" is way overblown and something that manufacturer's of items such as this want you to buy into. Even the cellular phone market has come along and begun marketing no draw cords. Problem is, that the existing cords don't draw anything unless they're plugged into something. Think about it, what is going to happen to an unplugged phone charger, is the power going to leak into the air? As expected, when I plugged my kill-a-watt into my phone charge without a phone, the draw was 0 watts.

So I just went and tested my current outlet strip for my 32" TV, FIOS STB, DVD Player, Wii console, and Wii remote charger. 23 watts of power consumption with everything off. I unplugged the FIOS STB since that in theory would be an always on device to see how much this would save me (has a bootup sequence). Dropped to 3 watts being consumed. It would take YEARS of constant on at 3 watts to recover the cost savings.

I guess this product really is a YMMV, but in my case, it isn't justified, for any real savings, I can just flip the master switch on my surge protector if I wanted to deal with waiting for the bootup sequences to save a few cents. It would save me $0.05 a day to shut everything down, and less than a penny a day with this product, keeping power to the STB assuming a non use state for the day.

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 12:23:32 PM PDT
Sandlapper says:
Thanks for the interesting and informative analysis. However, most of the cost of this device is for the surge protection function (I assume). If you need a good surge protector anyway, the incremental extra cost for the power-saving feature may be worth it. It all depends on the current sale price. If the feature costs $5 extra, it could almost pay for itself in 3 months on power savings.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2011 12:20:06 PM PDT
Brant says:
I was just about to buy this until I read your comment. Nice research and thanks for saving me 30 bucks. :)

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 9:34:46 PM PDT
Thanks for saving me $35.00!! I'm glad I saw this!! I have great surge protectors, but I was going to purchase this for the envery saving feature alone. But, what you wrote makes so much sense!! Thanks for clearing it up!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Belkin Conserve AV Switch with Energy-Saving AV Surge Protector and Remote
Belkin Conserve AV Switch with Energy-Saving AV Surge Protector and Remote by Belkin
4.3 out of 5 stars   (61)