$53 for a pocket radio? Is it really worth so much? This may seem like the Macbook Pro of pocket radios. I do believe Sangean probably makes good radio, but at the same time, many pocket radios are $10, or $15, or $19... so this one at $53 I really wonder if it is worth it. Will they earn a lot of money from it that way? What are the reasons for that high price?

But maybe if it is durable, then people may buy this radio and use it for 10 years and 15 years. So it is not like the company can make too much sales from it. And maybe it uses the best material to build it, and hire the engineers who otherwise can work for Apple or Facebook like company in Taiwan.
[UPDATED] asked by Epsilon Delta on October 13, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
True, you can buy a credible Sony or Panasonic pocket radio for less than ten bucks at this site. But have you really priced Weather Alert (NOAA-type) radios lately? Most of the ones around $20-30 are junk and don't last. This Sangean model DT-400W has been with me for two years, both indoors and out, and is relatively easy to set program and reset -- basically, if you know how to set- and reset most other contemporary Weather Alert radios, this is going to be easier or about the same.

I consider the model handsome in its own right. That "rain slicker yellow" makes it easy to find (I have mixed feelings about Oregon Scientific's recent imitation of it). And it's anywhere you want it to be. Look at the "one" or "two" star reviews of other leading products from Sangean or Sony or Midland and in most cases, you will find that the downgrades were made out of painful experiences: models that couldn't be reset, weren't loud enough, pulled in FM poorly, or died after a year. I can say I have had good experiences with my DT-400 and like it more now that when I bought it.

BTW I actually paid a buck or two more two years ago than the model can be had for at this date and at this site.
Allen Smalling answered on October 16, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This portable,handheld radio is very nice.I understand what your asking in your question and this is true it is pricey,however its worth it.This radio can't compete with most am/fm handheld radios alone,plus you have NOAA weather on this with an alert system.The other big plus is the reception,this lil yellow radio can pull in some real weak stations as well. I am very impressed with the AM stations @ night time that it brings in.FM is also good and if your outside or by a window your going to be happy with the reception.True its higher priced however you get what you pay for ,and in my opinion this this one nice radio to own.
TJ answered on October 21, 2013
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, it is worth the price. I've had mine for four years now and I like it even more now than when I bought it. It's a good AM/FM radio (mono) through its speaker and even better using earphones other than the ones it comes with. It's outstanding as a portable NOAA radio, picking up clear signals in areas where other NOAA radios I've had wouldn't pick up a signal at all. It wouldn't be my first choice as a permanent NOAA radio: for that I'd prefer a radio that ran on AC current so it could be left on continuously, with SAME technology and the ability to have silent visual alerts as well as audible alerts. I still have an Oregon Scientific WR196T I bought 10 years ago which is a great stationary NOAA radio. I expect the Sangean to last at least this long.
Brian D. Hedges answered on February 12, 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I love this radio. It is my 4th. It is worth the price. It is long lasting. The only weak part is the plug for the headset which after a number of years becomes unreliable. One can attempt a repair, but the access and works space is a problem. This radio has the features I demand: power off after 90 minutes; long battery life; easy station selection; and, good sound (buy Phillips ACTION Fit earbuds).
S. Steve Adkins answered on April 24, 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product