Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2008 12:54:02 PM PDT
hi,
i have heard one cut by this band on XM radio.can anyone recommend a cd as an introduction to the band? thanks map47

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2008 10:16:15 AM PDT
J. Perez says:
Porcupine Tree's musical catalog is actually somewhat diverse so it might depend on what "phase" of their career you think you'd like best. What song did you hear from them on XM?

Anyway, if want an introduction to early PT and a very prog-rock, psychedelic sound flavored with Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream, I'd suggest "Up the Downstair" (their 2nd full album); if you think you'd like a more mainstream bent with hints of Radiohead, try "Stupid Dream"; and if you want to hear the best representation of what PT is today combining psychedelic-rock, atmospherics, pop and heavy metal angst all geniously crafter together, I'd suggest one of their more recent albums with "In Absentia" and "Fear of the Blank Planet" rising to the top in my opinion.

In any event, you can't go wrong with any of them and I would suspect that after hearing one or two PT albums, you'll be buying ALL of them soon anyway!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 2:29:06 PM PDT
You're right, I bought two albums and then decided I had to have them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 5:36:55 AM PDT
N. Gibbons says:
Totally agree with J Perez . PT and especially Steve Wilson , have changed the musical style over the years , even with Steve doing solo / other projects . Early albums are very keyboard and Floydish .Later , more guitar work and increasingly "heavy" , though not in a bad way . I enjoy the whole spectrum of what the band has done and continues to do . Start at the beginning and hear a musical journey that is still progressing . Really recommend "Voyage 34" , "Lightbulb Sun" , and "Fear o.a.b.Planet" Happy listenings and explorations . You'll be at a gig like the rest of us very quickly .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  May 24, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 15, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Porcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere
Porcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere by Porcupine Tree (DVD - 2006)
4.9 out of 5 stars (128)