Are the power adapters interchangeable if you already have a kindle? Thinking of buying my hubby a new $79 kindle for a gift. He would read ONLY on it, and not do anything else. Should I buy the adapter, or can we just use mine for both? Any ideas?
asked by Rita Reader on September 29, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 65 answers
A
Amazon has not been clear concerning these power adapters. The picture looks like the one that came with my second generation Kindle. Will my second generation adapter work with the new Kindle Touch, is the question?
Elliott Rogers answered on September 30, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The new $79 Kindle and the 2 new Touch Kindles both have a USB 2.0 cable that will plug into this adapter or something like Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger(not endorsing this, just using as an example). If your cell phone uses an adapter with a USB port you can even use that.

The only Kindle that I don't believe this will work with is the 1st generation Kindle which has a dedicated charger and doesn't charge via a USB cable. All the others charge via a USB cable and if you already have a power adapter from a K2 or K3 you don't need to buy a new one. It's the same thing.

@Rita Reader: Unless your Kindle is a 1st generation you will be able to use your old adapter for the new $79 Kindle.
Ellen Ripley answered on October 1, 2011
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ellen, Thank you so much, that is good news. I am still trying to convert my hubby to a Kindle and the new $79 one seems perfect for him, simple- he just reads, as do I. I have rarely used my keyboard except to look up an occasional unfamiliar word in the dictionary. The new price makes me want to get one for my husband and my son. But it is good to know my power adapter can be used for my husbands.
Rita Reader answered on October 2, 2011
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
@Rita Reader
Not trying to push my opinions on you, but if you haven't read reviews on it check mine out, I've tried to point out some positive and negatives of the NEW Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NJRC6XH88RBR/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3NJRC6XH88RBR
Ellen Ripley answered on October 2, 2011
Comment | 2 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My only concern is that the adapter states 0.85A as the current, while the new Kindle (the "Mindle") says "Max 500mA" on the back (=0.5A).

So, to use a quote from 'Marathon Man':

"Is it safe?"
J Douglas Burton answered on October 5, 2011
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for all this good information. I have the new Kindle 3G Touch on order and did not want to have to buy an unnecessary power adapter. I have a Kindle 2nd Generation (my wife's Kindle) and a Kindle Keyboard (my current Kindle). Both came with the power adapter and USB Cable. I normally charge my Kindle through the power adapter and not with the USB connection to one of my computers.
Raymond W Crowley answered on October 18, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I came here looking for an answer to this, also.

This charger: (4.9 volts) * 850 milliamperes = 4.16500 watts
Back of my Kindle 4: (5.25 volts) * 500 milliamperes = 2.62500 watts

o_O
Amazon Customer answered on October 18, 2011
Comments (2) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
USB 2.0 is a standard. That means an adapter like the Amazon Kindle power supply/adapter, and any device (power user) that has a USB connector like the Kindle itself must meet "USB rules". Those USB rules means that all USB 2 adapters, users, etc are compatable. Any USB 2.0 adapter can be used with any USB 2.0 device. This is so you don't have to worry about the different voltage, current and power differences.

By the way, in direct response to Ivan, the numbers on the adapter and/or devices are usually ranges or nominal, they all work together, because it is a standard. If you really do want to worry about the numbers, you can read the USB specifications, otherwise just know that all USB 2 adapters and devices are compatable regardless of what numbers are printed on the adapter or device, with the only exception being the USB adapter input voltage.....where an input voltage of 110v - 240v means you could actually use the adapter in europe, africa etc, where the standard voltages are 220-240v, and the standard voltage in USA is 110-120v. You CANNOT use a 110-120v input adapter in europe, africa, etc, because it would burn up. Regardless, the output is the same and compatable on all USB 2 adapters.

Ignore the USB 2 voltage, current and power ratings, just like you ignore the voltage, current and power ratings when you plug a 110v plug into the wall socket. USB 2 is a standard just like the wall socket.

By the way, just to add to your confidence, I am an electrical engineer who used to work with USB interfaces, I know a little about it.
Gerald
Lynn A. Keisler answered on October 19, 2011
Comments (5) | 74 of 78 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for your reply. I'm still a little wary about it, though. The reason being is that, while everything you've described points to the standard as the way USB works, in reality, devices regularly deviate from standards with some nasty and expensive results. There have been tons of stories of people plugging their phones into the wrong charger and killing their phones, assuming that a USB connector means standard USB power, when it often does not. The way the standard is supposed to work is that USB will not provide more than 100 mA unless the charging device requests more, up to the maximum of 500 mA. In reality, there are USB cell phone chargers that will push 1 A or more. Now, what I don't know is how intelligent many of these chargers are. As I mentioned before, they should only provide 100 mA unless the device requests more, so how is one to know which chargers are smart enough to adhere to that process? Will most devices have a failsafe where they'll limit current if it exceeds a certain threshold?

EDIT: It looks like that process is a bit older, and has now been augmented with a special standard for wall chargers. http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/4803
Amazon Customer answered on November 3, 2011
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2012 9:25:54 PM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next ›

See all questions about this product