Do you prefer the mono or the stereo version of Sgt. Pepper ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2009 1:10:58 AM PST
gil says:
Do you prefer the mono or the stereo version of Sgt. Pepper ?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:51:59 AM PDT
Mono

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 6:25:52 PM PDT
Agreed: mono. The stereo would be nice if it followed standard stereo conventions but the sound more like a 3year old fiddling with the balance knobs. You get voices hard panned to one side, classical instruments hard panned to the other... Terrible.

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 12:58:02 PM PDT
Mono, definitely. However, is it just me, or does the final banging chord of "A Day in the Life" seem just a little bit shorter on the mono version ?

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 2:12:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2014 2:16:17 PM PST
Maclen says:
The Stereo version. It's considered chic to say mono, and there are some interesting differences to be sure (I've got both), but the STEREO version let's you get closer to the arragements. The seperation of the instuments. Sometimes you get harmony vocals on different speakers, I think it's quite cool. Nothing wrong with the MONO version,
I prefer the STEREO version - and dispite the popular opinion that the Beatles were there for the mono mix and not the Stereo mix, that's a bit of a fairy tale. You notice the version that they put available for the general masses is the STEREO version. the mono is only available in the MONO box, what does that tell you about what the Beatles think? C.L. Messina what album are you listening to? The Sgt Pepper Album is a four track recording, the hard panning of vocals to one side and instruments to the other are on the Beatles first 2 albums only not Sgt. Pepper.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles (Vinyl - 1995)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,661)