price and availability -- what's up? What is up with price and availability on this thing? I've had it in my cart for a while (the delay in ordering was my own problem) and have seen it jump back and forth, for the most part, between $175 and $185. At one point it went down to around $155. Today it's suddenly $250.

Who's responsible? Canon? Amazon? And how long has the "temporarily out of stock" situation existed? If I recall, inventory got iffy on the previous model, too. Who keeps making this model difficult to get -- and why?

I'm ready to buy, but not at $250. Hell no. And I want to know when to expect it. Is it in production? Is it shipping? Someone, somewhere, knows the answer to these questions.
[UPDATED] asked by Chazzz on February 20, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 answers
A
UPDATE: Ordered it exactly a month ago, not having any idea how long I'd be waiting, so I'm happy to say that Amazon just let me know it shipped today. Price of course is still fluctuating, today it's $9 lower than what I'm paying, but I'm just relieved to be getting it. Too many projects have been on hold for too long. Very happy with this news.
Chazzz answered on March 24, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't understand their whole pricing algorithm (or philosophy even) but you can use the camelcamelcamel.com service to keep track of the price & when it drops down to what you prefer, you get an email or tweet(?) or other message informing you of the fact. Then you can go to amazon to lock(for a little while, at least, since it's OOS "temporarily") in that price. Amazon USED to do this for you, but that 'feature' just vanished one day.

I've been waiting awhile for this scanner to get down to my affordable price spot.

Still waiting...
V. Logvinov answered on February 22, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the help from the two of you. I did "buy" the unit yesterday from Amazon when the price was $199, but intend of cancel it, if I can find it somewhere else or at a better price. I did find a company called Adorama where the price is $174.95, so I put it on the Wish List there & they will email me if/when it is in stock. They were very co-operative when I emailed them, got right back to me about the wish list, but are at the mercy of Canon as to when any are available. I notice that they are $199 on the Canon site itself, but backordered there too.
P. A. Spencer answered on February 22, 2011

A
Still not available, but price is now $186.95 on Amazon....FYI.
P. A. Spencer answered on February 25, 2011

A
Andorama is a major Amazon seller - but watch the shipping. Sometimes they get silly - and arenot nearly as easy on returns as Amazon. If you're not 100 % sure you will love and want to keep this, a little more at Amazon might be a bargain in the long run. If that sounds like a lesson I paid for --- it is.
Pinupgirl answered on February 28, 2011

A
Agree. I've heard Adorama spoken of very highly, by people I trust, in regard to other products and services, and that $175 is certainly attractive. But when the Amazon price returned to $186 the other day, I placed my order here and will wait to see how long it takes for something to happen.
Chazzz answered on February 28, 2011

A
This scanner is made in Thailand. There were some disastrous floods in Thailand and for a year, I think, it has not been available. Now it's back on the market.
Old movie fan answered on June 23, 2012

A
Chazzz-buy now!
phonegeek answered on August 21, 2012

A
Never mind, I ordered it here on Amazon from another distributor who says has it in stock. We'll see!
sunshinegirl answered on March 24, 2011
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Wow... thanks for the info. I wonder if this will continue? I want the 9000 but was considering a lower version from Best Buy because I need it soon. What does anyone think?
sunshinegirl answered on March 24, 2011
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product