Samsung Series 5 550 Chromebook (Wi-Fi)
Used & New from: $313.00
At this price point why not just buy a tablet with a keyboard?
asked by Bill M. on July 1, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
Why buy a tablet and then have to buy a keyboard when this is all in one with much more functionality. I always thought the reason you got a tablet so that you didn't need a keyboard.
T. King answered on July 7, 2012

A
votes
When considering a tablet/keyboard combo vs. a Chromebook I think the Chromebook is better in these ways:
* bigger screen
* full-size keyboard
* bigger and better trackpad
* better CPU and more RAM

Tablets, even with keyboards, don't really give the user a desktop browser experience, but the latest Chromebook does. Also, if you need multi-user support, the Chromebook is much better choice than an iPad or Android tablet.
Jonathan Woodbury answered on July 14, 2012

A
votes
I also order a Nexus 7 for books, lite gaming and tablet needs but after years of looking at and researching tablets, I prefer this over any tablet including the transformer.
T. King answered on July 12, 2012

A
votes
You don't need a keyboard with a tablet, but you have the option to use one if you prefer. A tablet such as the Asus transformer prime along with their keyboard dock can be purchased for less than this chromebook. The Asus transformer keyboard also adds additional battery life to the tablet wich can bring the battery life to over 14 hours. The keyboard does also have slots to add additional memory.

You say that the chromebook has more functionality? I don't see it, maybe you can elaborate on that? The chromebook is limited to what you can do in the Chrome Browser.
From what I gather a tablet has more functionality, since you can also use apps offline. Also a tablet is slightly more portable and has better battery life.
Also if you really need more functionality you can purchase a full blown PC laptop for around the same price.

I think the chromebook is a great Idea and being a gadget junkie I would love to own one. I just can't justify this price for what it is capable of doing. I'd even rather get Google's new Nexus 7 tablet for $200, it has a chrome browser and should be capable of everything the chromebook does and it also includes bluetooth and gps.
Bill M. answered on July 8, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›