My problem is with this drive dropping out and demounting for no apparent reason. Anyone else?
asked by Birck on November 23, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
votes
There's no question that it's beginning to show signs of failure - the USB 3.0 interface board inside the enclosure, not the drive itself. I had this recently happen on mine after the 30 day warranty expired from the store I purchased it from. I could have very well contacted the manufacturer and RMAed it like you can, too, but I decided it was not that big of deal since I knew the HDD inside was still good. So I opened up the case, took the HDD out and put it in my media player knowing full well that it would void the warranty which I didn't mind. However, I would not recommend doing this for anyone else, especially if you wish to avail yourself of all options you actually paid for with this product.
Watcher answered on November 26, 2012

A
votes
I had that at the beginning, the drive was popping on and off however I am using a USB cable extension and it wasn't connected securely to the drive cable. Once firmly secured, no more issues and the drive is running 24/7 on a server.
Frenchyaz answered on November 26, 2012

A
votes
Yes, I have. I received my drive yesterday. I installed the drivers onto my HTPC and plugged it in. I set WMC to record TV shows onto the drive. It seemed to work ok. I put my Windows 8 HTPC to sleep at night. I came back today and saw that none of my scheduled shows were recorded. WTF? So I discover that the drive isn't being detected. I tried replugging the cables, restarting the drive, etc. Nothing. As a last resort I rebooted. That did it; but that's not a very auspicious sign. Another instance of this, I'm returning this drive.
Amazon Customer answered on December 20, 2012

A
votes
It did to start with, the slightest vibration made it disconnect, not doing so any more. I think it was the fact it was a new drive and a new usb3 card, got better the more it was unplugged and replugged which polished the connectors.
Ty A. Thompson answered on March 6, 2013

A
votes
Mine did the same after very light usage and within the first 6 months. However, it was not the usb interface board as I opened the case and tested it hoping that I could retrieve my data. With special external hardware SATA to USB interface, and power supply, the drive still would not respond other than making a buzzing sound (1 per second) trying to start. Sounded like a stuck head on the platter. I lost all my data due to this hardware failure. Seagate would not attempt to recover the data without a $150 additional fee, but they did accept a hardware return with a recertified replacement.
George Washington answered on April 15, 2014

A
votes
not so far...
Maxy answered on November 24, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›