the problem with the sookie books: CH is a pretty good storyteller but a bad writer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2010 3:49:17 PM PDT
opinionated says:
I'm happy to have found this forum. Lots of more interesting stuff here than on the CH site, which is disappointing, or on other book forums.

I have been reading threads on CH's handling of 'snotty' reader comments, Sookie's ultimate love, inconsistencies. This really digs into the books; that's a good thing.

I'll submit this: CH is a pretty good storyteller, but is a really a pretty bad writer. There are so many reasons to say this, and the very, very least of them are the striking misuse of vocabulary that one wouldn't expect from an a purveyor of the language.

1 - The wonderful beginning of the series - ordinary woman in extraordinary circumstances - is destroyed as the series progresses. I'm at book 6 DD and as an observer of this fake universe, it seems that there are virtually no humans left on the planet. No contrast whatsoever; it's all supes all the time and the depth is lost.

2 - Why all the boyfriends? Even in other series this is not normal. Man, it's like some kind of manic reaction or something. Can we please just stick to one or two guys and actually explore a relationship.

3 - This brings me to the bad writing. CH does whatever she feels will make an exciting story, and if that means major inconsistencies - far more than other professional writers - and incongruous behavior by characters (Sookie is smart but does some massively and unbelievably stupid things), then so be it, I guess.

4 - This leads to there not being a backbone to the series. No general guiding direction. We, the readers, don't need to be aware of it, but we should feel CH is functioning with a logic in her fake universe. It's like she's making it up as she goes along the way you make up a story at a campfire. The characters don't work then.

5 - She can do what she wants with her books - they're are hers, anyway - but she should take care of a good idea if she has one. She discards her good ideas the way other people waste food. A reader should be insulted by this; he/she shouldn't be insulted by the author.

6 - Finally, the careless/non-existent proofreading by editors doesn't help. It's like no one cares about the product.

So, that's why I say CH is not a good writer, though she can conceive a good story. Would love to hear any opinions.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010 6:42:20 AM PDT
Duh - this is entertainment. I read it as such (actually I listen the books on Playaway while walking the dog or performing some mundane task. It entertains me. If you want to read good writers, pick up Henry James or Jane Austen or Jonathan Franzen. Don't look for great writing in this genre!

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 4:19:59 PM PDT
Who says entertaining books have to be poorly written? Harry Potter is an example of a very entertaining series and, though not a masterpiece of course, is very well written. I was also reading book 6 but stopped at about chapter 5. The plot gets kind of boring after the fourth book and I can't really see it go anywhere after book 5... It's like nothing really new happens, Harris just keeps introducing new unidimensional characters and you just don't have the time to care for them anymore, and the storylines are really repetitive.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 12:16:54 PM PDT
Great conversation! And I agree with Nicolas - the HP books were incredibly well-written. That said, I love CH's universe and am willing to overlook the average quality of the writing. It is a little jarring to find the continuity errors (not to mention the typos - although maybe these are only on my Kindle version???), but I stick with the books anyhow. Book 9 was definitely one of the weaker books, and I would love a bit more character growth from Sookie on the whole (although maybe Eric changing/developing should be enough for me), but I'm totally addicted, nonetheless. As a wannabe writer myself, it always amazes me what a really good "universe" will do to keep readers engrossed. Hats off to J.K. and C.H. on that score!

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 11:12:13 AM PDT
PLEASE C.H. dont end up like Linda K. Hamilton!!!!! I have read both anita and merry books and the last books in both Sucked!( and not in a good way )Dont get me wrong, I love a detailed book, but if its just a smidge of story line filled in with a bunch of muck, not so good. (i.e. sex, muck, sex,sex,sex, muck, story line, sex...)I turned to sookie when anita and merry both lost themselves, and found another kick ass girl to follow. PLEASE dont make me find another!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 4:37:40 PM PDT
pixeestyx says:
Try the Jane Jameson books. Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs is the first one. They're by Molly Harper.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2010
Latest post:  May 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead And Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Dead And Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood) by Charlaine Harris (Hardcover - May 5, 2009)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (980)