Does a product exist like Leapster but for over age 8? My daughter is 8 and I think the Leapster is not appropriate for her age. Does anyone recommend a toy like Leapster for the over 8 year old set? I do not want to get her a laptop or a DS. Thank you
asked by szysgt on November 7, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
vote
Try an ipod touch. As crazy as it sounds there is a ton of educational aps that you can get for the device that are majority free are cost only 99 cents. There is a website called utech tips just google it with educational aps and it will list at least 50 aps free to 4.99. It even catagorizes them for you. If you think about it you are shelling out the same amount as much buying a comparable gaming system. Plus she gets the ability to store music, pictures, and movies as well. Hope this helps
D. clapper answered on November 8, 2010

A
vote
No problem. I understand that expensive gadgets in the hands of kids is not always a good idea, I have a 8 yr old boy believe me I understand. If you already own it I would not buy it just for the purpose of gaming for my child but if you decide to still get the free apps for your child. You can password protect your touch by tapping on the folllowing from the home page: Settings>>General>>Restriction>> you can switch off features like explicit ipod content, safari, you tube, and installing apps so she can play with what is already there but not add new content and view other things she should not under the guise of playing games. Also I know that there are some older leapfrog systems leapfrog i quest that are for 10-13yr olds and the turbo twist that you can buy by subject or grade. I saw some at the stores the other day and you can get them both on ebay.
D. clapper answered on November 8, 2010

A
vote
You might check your local game stop and look at a refurbished unit. The last time I was in there they had some units in there for 79.99. I bought a ds lite for my son when he was 6 and he is still using at 8 we just got a nerf case to increase the durablity for it. My niece got hers at 7 and is still using it and she will be 12 christmas eve. It is definatley a investment but she will not grow out of this toy for some time to come. There are very few toys that I buy for the kids that I can say they're still use on a weekly basis 5 years later, but this is one of them.
D. clapper answered on November 15, 2010

A
votes
Thanks for the suggestion! Since I didn't get my first ipod touch until age 46, I think 8 is a little too young. I also am not happy with unrestricted internet access for an 8-year-old. But I do appreciate the suggestion.
szysgt answered on November 8, 2010

A
votes
Terrific! Thanks.
szysgt answered on November 8, 2010

A
votes
Nope...once they get to age 8, that is about it for the learning toys/Leapfrog line. Didj may get you for a short while, but it was short lived in my house.
Can I ask why you don't want to get a DS? They have some great learning games for it!
Sl Judge answered on November 15, 2010

A
votes
Thanks for the info. The DS is a bit pricey, especially for an 8 year old.
szysgt answered on November 15, 2010

A
votes
my son got his 1st ds at 6 and still loves it. I think a ds lite is fine i dont think you need a dsi. It did break at the hinge (his fault) so we bought him a second hand refurb one for 70.00 aud.i can tell you he takes very good care of the hinge now after being without it for a while. Rather than buying mario etc games that can be expensive buy some non trademark games or pre owned games. my son is a tech head and loves his play station 2 and wii but i think he would say he loves his ds best. having said all that i agree also with the itouch or ipad as most of the apps are free and there are loads of educational apps available on the net.
Lisa M. Crofts answered on January 18, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›