on June 6, 2005
This book is easy and fun to read. While flipping through it, the first thing I noticed was that the recipes were well-rounded and looked really delicious. One of my favorites, grilled fish with mango-avacado salsa topping, is now a weekly meal in our household.

Some of the tips in here are so easy to follow -- for instance, she says when you are hungry, you should eat. It's what you eat and the portions that are important. I now keep healthy snacks at my desk for when my 3pm hunger rolls around.

I left Small Changes, Big Results on the living room coffee table and everyone in the house has picked it up and commented on how easy to read it is and how the tips are so useful.

This is easy to follow and it works. I've lost weight but more importantly, I've learned how to eat healthier. The excersizing is also easy -- the first couple weeks call for 20 minutes of walking 3 times a week(though you have options) but I find myself going for 60.

I've enjoyed all of the food I've been eating based on her recommendations. I recommend this book to anyone looking for easy reading and a way to lose weight without giving up fats and carbs.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There are plenty of kick a** boot camp books on the market. How to lose 10 pounds in a weekend, get your body for life in a few weeks etc. Ellie Krieger's book "Small Changes Big Results" is a refreshing change. Ellie's approach is a gentle one. You will over the course of 12 weeks baby step your way to a better body and healthier life.

Krieger who holds an MS in nutrition from prestigious Columbia University walks you through a simple program of change. Each week you will add on tasks that focus on 3 areas: eating well, moving your body and living well. Ms. Krieger gives you simple, very doable tasks for each. As you progress through the program you will feel better, slim down, and become healthier and you won't be killing yourself in the process!

The first component is the eating plan. Instead of a diet, Ellie instructs you on what to eat to encourage a slim body. Different weeks will find you filling your pantry with healthy foods, learning about grains, understanding hunger, getting the skinny on fats and more. For fitness you will add on walking (starting with a simple 20 minute 3X a week walk) and progress to strength training, stretching etc. The third component is all about feeling well. So many "diet" books neglect this essential tool to achieving a healthy slim body. Here Ellie will give you ideas to make your life more enjoyable from managing your time, to sleeping better to the power of play. I was delighted to see that Ellie even includes a section on clearing clutter. It's amazing how conquering your clutter can lead to better feelings about oneself and yes ultimately a thinner you!

Ms. Kreiger includes very simple delicious recipes like minestrone soup, lemon pepper chicken and banana-peanut butter smoothie.

The appendix includes a wealth of valuable information also. She explains how much of each food group you should eat in order to consume your caloric needs. She gives a list of sometimes, rarely and usually foods. She has included suggested supplementation. sample weeks of healthy eating and much more.
A list of resources and index rounds out the back of the book.

What I really love about this book is its doability. It's babystepping your way to a healthy body. It makes becoming slimmer and healthier a pleasure and easy. You work with your body to achieve your goals. Small changes do equal big results!
on August 11, 2005
This is a great book. It contains very common sense guidelines and ideas for nutrition, fittness and wellness and organizes them into an easy to follow, step-by-step process. The section on fat is very helpful. I finally understand what all the terms mean (mono-unsaturated, trans fat, etc). Another section on fruits and veggies by color and what they do for you is also well organized and informative.

I stumbled upon this book at the library and after taking pages of notes, decided to look it up on Amazon. Sure enough it was selling at a great price so I bought it and have been marking pages and highlighting passages ever since I received. It will make a great gift this Christmas for several people.

I believe that Ellie Krieger has written the best book out there on how to develop a healthy lifestyle.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I became curious about this book since I love Ellie Krieger's show "Healthy Appetite" on the food network. For those who are not familiar, the show teaches viewers how to prepare delicious meals that satisfy their appetites, while including healthful ingredients. In this book, she shares a lot of the same common sense wisdom that she dispenses on the show. One of the things I love about this book is that it is not about a fad diet, but rather about slowly making meaningful changes that you can live with long term. Essentially, the whole book is sound advice.
The format of the book is that for each of the 12 weeks things are gradually introduced. For example, each week the exercise gets slightly more challenging and you get new food principles to follow. I think this is great for a beginner or someone who might be overwhelmed at the prospect of losing weight and might not know where to start. (Not that this is a bad thing at all!!!) However, as someone who has been reading Cooking Light for two years and doing an intense workout routine 6 days a week for the past two months, much of this was information I had heard elsewhere. That said, the book is still peppered with some new good tips and sound advice that someone who has dieted before can find of value. For example, I like the way she organizes foods into "Usually," "Sometimes," and "Rarely" categories. It's much more pleasant and user-friendly than simply outlawing food. She also gives lots and lots of suggestions so you can accomidate with your own unique lifestyle. I also loved her recipes. There were some great alternatives for things like butter. My advice would be that if you're a beginner this is a must buy book, but if you're already a more experienced health nut or dieter you may find that you already know a lot of the content.
on April 27, 2006
Small Changes, Big Results put my health, nutrition, and exercise goals within reach. Ellie Krieger's style is upbeat and so encouraging - it's like having your own personal life coach! I was inspired to make little adjustments to my daily regimen, and before I knew it I was feeling better than I had in a long time.

I'm usually overwhelmed by fitness programs, but Small Changes, Big Results made lifestyle changes seem possible and approachable - we can all make small changes, and those changes can really add up to major results. I sent copies to my mother and sister!
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2007
I've never been a fan of Ellie Krieger's show on the Food Network, so I wasn't prepared to like this book. One thing I've noticed on her show is that the food she makes isn't really all that healthy.

But, I have to say this book was, overall, very well done. Many of the negative reviews point out that her tips are obvious and not original. I can't say I totally disagree, but they are presented in an easy-to-read format, concisely, all in one book. Sure, you can go online and find a chart that compares the fat and calories in a buffalo burger to that in a turkey burger, and you can also find guides on how to do her meditations or exercises online, too. You can probably also bring up all the research she included on the benefits and drawbacks of dairy, and the nutrients found in fruits and veggies. But you could also just buy the book and get all that info in one place, as well as an easy-to-follow guide on how to slowly incorporate nutrition, exercise and wellness into your life.

If you're a diet book guru and have read through a stack of nutrition guides already, this book isn't for you. It also probably won't enhance the life of anyone already living a fairly healthy lifestyle, as you probably do most of what she recommends anyway, and the few recipes included don't really warrant the purchase price.

But, if you're a newcomer to nutrition, especially one looking to switch to a healthy lifestyle, I'd say this book would be a perfect choice for you!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2006
A few months ago, I bought this book. Its easy-to-follow plan with great recipes inspired me to make some small tweaks to my eating habits and life style. I lost weight and found a bit more inner peace as a result. I love many of the recipes and tips.

I also caught the premier of Ellie's new show on the Food Network last weekend -- she is so cute and down to earth. If you love the book, you will love her show!
on April 12, 2005
Yes, there are hundreds of diet/health books available as most reviewers tend to point out. But what I can say about this book is that it is a practical approach to seeing results. Each step of the program is easy to integrate into your life and there are great tips and recipes throughout. I bought this book for my wife and I ended up reading it and applying it for myself. Once I began reading, I couldn't resist giving it a try. I've tried Body for Life and many others and I must say that for me this book made success feel easy. My wife who is a full-time working mom has found this book to be exactly what she was looking for in regards to getting back on track health-wise. Worth the money for sure.
on March 1, 2006
I have read this book twice and love all the practical tips that encompass all aspects of well-being.

Ellie has a great way of presenting her information in clear and concise terms and it is an easy and even fun read!

It gets me motivated to do more and continue down the path I have started several years ago.

She covers all levels of fitness and lifestyles and current 'status' from those just rolling off the couch and knowing there is more to life out there, to those of who have been aiming for a better lifestyle over the years and maybe need some more motivation and sound advise to get all the way there.

She writes like a good friend, who has your best interests at heart and knows how to convey it all without a preachy stance.

I hope she writes more books and will definitely recommend

this one to everyone I know.

p.s. I bought it online for $6 on Amazon, the best deal yet!
on January 30, 2007
I really like Ellie's TV program . I like that she gives lots of nutritional information about each recipe plus much more. In purchasing the book, it was the lay-out that I did not like. It serves its purpose if you are going to strictly stick to a 12-week program. But I also needed to be able to at a quick glance look up recipes according to category and lumped together for those times after going methodically thru the book. I like some of the tips on exercise, but they were difficult to find as they are blended in with so much other. Many of the exercise tips are found in every book. Please don't misunderstand, the book will be helpful, and I think Ellie is extremely helpful with what I think is highly important - Nutrition and good recipes. But I feel like I need to go thru and pull out the things I am looking for and put them in my own file for easier reference. I would love to try one of her other books, but feel like I need to wait awhile to save up a little more $$. But don't quit writing, I am still very interested!!! V