Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on November 16, 2001
The print and pictures are TINY in this edition. Definitely get the bigger books. But my 3 kids LOVE all these stories -- they're 8, 6, and 5.
on May 1, 2011
Much encouraged by my purchase of Vol1, I decided to collect the others in the same series.
Here's the amazon link to Vol1 I am referring to:

This one and other volumes of the same series are very different from Vol1.

Vol1 is printed in Spain, the others including this one is printed in China. This is not a factor that would discourage me alone and I only found this after I was surprised by the differences below.

Vol1 is bigger in both height and width than Vol2, about 0.5 inches at least. The pictures is Vol1 one are bigger, the font is bigger and bolder which makes all the difference.

The size of the Vol2 (and the rest in the series) although small by just a little makes all the difference between just small and unreadable small. I just could not concentrate on the tiny pictures and the font on this one. Its like going down on the eye chart, one small size you can read alright and the next smaller one you can't make out.

Returning these and will probably return the first vol too as now I can't complete the set.

There is a lot of conflicting reviews on these series regarding the size and I will not be surprised if at some point different prints were shipped and is the basis for at least some of the confusions if not all.

My advice if you haven't bought it don't !!
Volume 2 of "The Adventures of Tintin" brings together a trio of stories by Hergé from the late 1930s, right before World War II. This is noteworthy because at this point Hergé is refining his attention to cultural detail in these stories, but also starting to get more fanciful and away from what is happening in the real world. You will still find allegorical elements in these stories, but none of the events ripped from the headlines that you saw in previous tales such as "The Blue Lotus."

"The Broken Ear" is from 1937 as our hero and his faithful companion Snowy go it alone through a series of perilous episodes, although there are brief appearances by the Thom(p)sons and Professor Calculus. The title defect belongs to an Arumbaya Fetish at the Museum of Ethnography which is stolen and then mysteriously returned. When Tintin notices the sacred tribal object now has two perfect ears and our hero is quickly in full Sherlock Holmes mode. However, Tintin is not the only one in search of the real fetish as his path starts crossing that of a pair of mysterious figures. After a series of incidents involving the search for a talking parrot, everyone finds themselves on a ship bound South American way for the Republic of San Theodoros, which happens to be where the Arumbaya tribe lives along the banks of the River Coliflor. There Tintin becomes involved in the political turmoil of San Theodoros and eventually gets around to traveling up the jungle river to find the Arumbayas. Meanwhile, poor Snowy finds that his tail becomes a sore point time and time again. In "The Broken Ear" the mystery takes something of a back seat to the repeated perils faced by Tintin. I went back and counted them up and on average Tintin faces death or severe physical harm once every three pages in this 64-page story, which might be a record for our intrepid reporter.

For the most part I do not like the early Tintin adventures where there is a lot of slapstick and every other page our intrepid reporter hero is either holding a gun or having somebody hold a gun on him as much as the latter adventures. However, "The Black Island" is certainly the epitome of this type of Tintin adventure and Hergé really pours it on pretty much from start to finish. This might be slapstick but it is nonstop slapstick from Tintin trying to stop the Thom(p)sons from arresting him to Snowy getting the better of a gorilla (but not a spider). Tintin might end up unconscious more often in this story than all of his other adventures combined. The beginning is simple enough as Tintin sees a plane land with engine trouble. Noticing it is an unregistered plane he offers to help and is immediately shot (do not worry, the bullet only grazes his ribs). Of course Tintin wants to get to the bottom of this mystery but it is hard to collect clues when people are trying to kill you and you have no clue why. Besides, in this one Tintin gets to wear a kilt, not to mention a bonnie bonnet as the titular piece of property happens to be in Scotland. All things considered "The Black Island" has got to be the funniest of Hergé stories.

In contrast "King Ottokar's Sceptre" is an adventure in which our intrepid hero gets to do a lot of deductive reasoning. Certainly there are more actual clues than Hergé usually includes in his mysteries, which means you really have to pay attention as you play along this time. Tintin encounters Professor Alembik, who studies seals (no, silly, not the friendly little animals but the things you stamp into wax on official papers). This seems a harmless career choice but Tintin finds that both he and the good professor are embroiled with secret agents and a plot against the King of Syldavia. It turns out there is a major loophole in the laws of the monarchy, for if H.M. King Muskar XII, the present ruler of Syldavia, were to lose possession of King Ottokar's sceptre, he would lose the right to rule and have to abdicate. This would work to the advantage of the bad guys across the border in Borduria, where everybody seems decided Eastern European and probably pro-Communist or at least very much into Socialism, so it is up to Tintin and Snowy to save the day. They are aided in this endeavor by Thomson and Thompson of the C.I.D.; to be precise, they endeavor to aid. There is also Tintin's first meeting with Bianca Castafiore in this very solid offering from Hergé. This is an actual mystery, where clues need to be solved and mysterious developments need to be explained.

Some of these early adventures of Tintin have engendered criticism because of the way Hergé draws a Negro in caricature and I certainly do not want to suggest that a white male European was not representative of the inherent racism of his culture, but I would point out that Hergé, like Edgar Rice Burroughs writing at roughly the same time, relied heavily on stereotypes for many of his characters and that you will find "good" and "bad" types for every race and ethnicity Tintin encounters. Certainly the South Americans Tintin encounters in San Theodoros, with their heavy accents, fiery tempers and tendency towards extreme violence, are central to any such critique. But Herge also displays some sensitivity towards the native tribes of the area that is rather enlightened. If Tintin engaged in slurs or derogatory comments towards anyone, that would be something different, but our hero only thinks in terms of "good" and "bad," not "white" and "black". Anyhow, you can read these stories and decide for yourself where you stand on this issue.
on May 18, 1999
A random search on 'Tintin' on Amazon.com brought back powerful memories of my happy youth, when my brother and I would save up our pocket money every month to buy used copies from local booksellers in the musty streets of Delhi. The books would be marked with pen and sundry stains, but, to us, they were a reminder of what lay just beyond our reach.
We would be fascinated by Tintin's travels through the most exotic places in the world (and beyond!). What colorful characters Haddock and Calculus are! For some reason, King Ottokar's Sceptre was always my favorite one, but almost all comics in this series are classics.
I would especially urge any one with young children to buy every Tintin comic book in existence, but, really, these comics will please all age groups.
on August 3, 2005
I've read a little of the Tin Tin series, enough to make sure they are appropriate for young eyes, but my son loves reading them. They are colorfully illustrated and have lively stories and humor. My son is 11 and still likes to see pictures in his books. As far as that goes, I do too! This is a very fun series and I recommend it especially for kids who complain about reading in general. The Tin Tin series is engaging and fun.
on January 18, 2012
I am giving these books one star because I believe the ability to actual make out the text is a fairly important component to a book. My 9 yr old, who has perfect vision, sits with a microscope to read these books. The magic of the illustrations is lost printed this tiny. I don't typically look at the dimensions of a book before I purchase online - but there is no way I would have purchased these books if I had seen them on a shelf. I'll know better next time.
on November 28, 2011
I have loved TinTin books since I was a child, so I was thrilled to see they are being published 3 per book.
Overall well done, good quality - but why choose this format. The text is extremely hard to read, some actually might need a magnifier glass to decypher everything. Who made the decision about this format???
on September 8, 2006
Volume 2: The Broken Ear (1937), The Black Island (1938), King Ottokar's Sceptre (1942). This is the second instalment of my reviews of each of the seven volumes.

The famous slogan, "for young readers 7 to 77", already validated by the previous three adventures, is further endorsed by what follows.

The Broken Ear takes us to the Amazon, in South America of course, where we meet the Arumbaya Indians, General Alcazar, and, well, just read it. I don't want to give spoilers. This adventure is another outstanding one, and very well translated. In the English version, the Indians' talk, apparently in some mysterious language, is understandable if read out loud. Already five continents visited in four stories!

The Black Island, which takes place in England and especially Scotland, is not up to the usual Tintin standards (one central theme is revisited and far better handled in a later adventure), but a Tintinophile would certainly not want to miss it.

King Ottokar's Sceptre, however, is a magnificent creation. We meet the Castafiore (= "chaste flower") for the first time, a soprano with an ego that would make Callas suffocate, the only major female character in the entire series, and a truly amazing personage. But the real achievement is the creation of an entire fictional kingdom (Syldavia, and a rival neighbouring nation, Borduria, also fictional) with a `reproduction' of a tapestry giving its history, and an adventure that would be meaningless without it. This is a huge achievement for a 62-page children's comic book.
on January 25, 2000
I'm 13 now, I've been reading Tintin since about I was 8 I used to get them imported from Paris (now from amazon). They are an Awsemoe! series best I've read Funny, Sad, great drawings etc... A must buy for ANY age.
on March 12, 2016
Throughout the past 1-2 years, I bought the Tin Tin series for my son who was 10-11 years old. He loves each of these books and they will never be mistreated. The pictures are beautiful and the pages are high quality- a nice glossy finish. These books are perfect for any age, in my opinion.

These will be saved in the family for many years to come.