Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on December 15, 2010
The story sells itself, but the authors do an outstanding job of transporting the reader back in time to a city clouded by the darkness of the crime that stole Nashville's innocence. I could see the houses in her neighborhood. I could smell the dinner cooking on the stove the night little Marcia never returned home. I could feel the nauseating sickness in the pit of my stomach when her body was discovered. From the officer that carried out her body, to the detective that solved the crime thirty years later, my hat goes off in admiration and gratitude. There is a story within the story that offers hope in the midst of evil. While the murder of little Marcia Trimble is the sad reality which the book intentionally chronicles, the integrity and expertise of Detective Pridemore who solved the murder some 30 years later offers a beacon of light in the midst of a season of darkness. All is not lost, justice prevails, evil loses, and hope is restored. Not only does it make for a good read, the book offers closure to a nightmare that finally gets put to rest. Nashville can breathe again.
0Comment61 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2010
When I began reading the book I had to force myself to put it down before the sun came up. I have to admit that the authors did an excellent job of allowing the reader to relate and feel the sorrow of the family. Words could not describe the horror that the family experienced. I felt an unexpected and heavy sadness come over me when the poor little girl was finally discovered even though I knew the outcome. Such sorrow and tragedy. Perhaps there is some sense of justice (whatever that means) in the end, but more importantly the reader is left with a bit of hope knowing that there truly are people who care and work to make the world a better and safer place for us all.
22 comments47 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2010
Wow! What a recreation of our life in Nashville back in 1975. It is hard to imagine how one tragic event changed us forever but it did. It was eye opening to know how women were viewed at that time in the police department and had things been different.....Dianne Vaughn would be a hero because she was on to something from the beginning. How sad that she died so young before the evidence could be found. As for Jeffery Womack...how sad for him that he wanted attention so badly at first that he said some stupid things and the Metro police wanted to convict somebody/anybody that they believed him.
Great book.
0Comment26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2010
I lived one mile from the Trimble's and thought I knew all about the disappearance of Marcia until I read "A Season of Darkness". Gobbell and Jones tell the facts in such a way that I was transported back to 1975. An excellent read!
on December 15, 2010
I could not put this book down!! It covers the magnitude and depth of the crime but also brings the reader into the safe comforting town of Nashville in the mid 70's. Scientific details are given without delving into an abundance of gore. The beginning of the book is met with horrific sadness that involves the victim, family, friends, and town. But in the middle of the book to the end, I found myself cheering for the people that had the perseverance to solve this crime even though it had been a mystery for over 30 years!!!!!
on December 30, 2010
This book was extremely interesting. However, the kindle edition does not include the many pages of photos that the actual paper book contains. It was careless that the photos were left completely out of the kindle edition.
11 comment14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2010
I was a 30-year-old housewife in Nashville when Marcia Trimble was abducted and I remember standing in my home hearing the news on TV. My own little girl was two years old and I vowed never to let her out of my sight. When I began reading A Season of Darkness, the horror of that time came rushing over me and I read as if I didn't know the ending.
Jones and Gobbell have given Nashville a wonderful gift by writing this book. Their extensive research, careful consideration, and fascinating details offer a kind of emotional resolution for those of us who were carrying around lots of half-truths and unanswered questions about the case. Knowing the true story makes even great sadness manageable.
Most remarkable to me is the way the book brings to life for the reader its adorable little heroine--Marcia herself. Certainly the detectives, lawyers, and witnesses deserve accolades, but she's the unequivocal, innocent star throughout.
on March 21, 2011
An engaging read about the decades-old cold case of 9 year old Marcia Trimble's muder. The authors give detailed descriptions of Nashville as it was when it was founded, and in the three decades since Marcia's death. This is a comprehensive story of the killer as well. Marcia wasn't his only victim; another young woman lost her life and several were viciously raped. Emotional and disturbing, but their stories need to be told- Nashville lost its innocence when it lost little Marcia.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then look at the photo of Marcia's fourth grade class - with an empty chair in memory of their classmate.
on February 21, 2011
This is, without a doubt, one of the most riveting true crime novels I have ever read. Part of the reason is because I grew up in the Nashville area when this happened, so I am quite familiar with the story. The other part is the incredible detail and writing talent that the authors have utilized when conveying the story to novel form.

I was 7 when Marcia Trimble vanished, and remember vividly how my family would gather in front of the TV and watch the nightly news for updates on the story. This was at a time when people had very limited access to information, only local news stations, and in those times, the more grisly details were left out. The memory of Marcia's tragic story has never left me, and haunts me to this day.

Reading this book has brought SO much more information to me than I had previously known. The authors have taken great amounts of effort to cover every single detail and aspect of this story, and have taken amazing care with it. Never boring, always intriguing, this is a revelation and a book that I will forever keep. The ONLY thing I wish was that there were more photos in the book of the main characters. I don't know if maybe they weren't available to the authors, but it would have been nice to put more faces with names. That being said, it's still a must read for lovers of true crime, and for people who remember the story. I have purchased additional copies for family and friends.
on January 6, 2011
From start to finish, A Season of Darkness is engrossing, emotional, and informative. The story of the disappearance, murder, and investigation in the Marcia Trimble case is presented in a clear-cut and chronological fashion. I was "hooked" from the first chapter, as nine-year-old Marcia, an innocent nine-year-old Girl Scout, goes missing in her own suburban neighborhood - and leaves no apparent clues.
The story begins in 1975, when life in America was simpler, safer, and more innocent than today. The authors present a wonderful picture of the many changes in law enforcement, due in great part to cases like Marcia Trimble's, where we come face to face with pure evil. Scientific advances, such as DNA identification, are explained, but with language that all readers can understand. All facets of the crime, the suspects, the interviews, and the eventual trial are depicted - and with great detail. It's clear that the authors did an enormous amount of research, and it pays off.
A Season of Darkness is a must-read for those who follow true crime, those who enjoy a suspenseful story, or those who like legal sagas. In short, anyone who wants a good read should buy this book!