Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Restore Ford Tractors: The Ultimate Guide to Rebuilding and Restoring N-Series and Later Tractors 1939-1962
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on December 29, 2008
This is a great resource for the first time buyer or restorer of vintage Ford tractors. It is particulary focused on the most common 8N tractor developments but does provide a good history from the 9N of 1939 forward to the blue/grey models of 1964. A lot of the improvements from one year to the next could help the beginning collector decide on their next purchase. There are lots of detailed color photos to picture each model as well as excellent reference material to date the tractor and model based on the serial number. There is good advice about what to look for in a used tractor as well as chapters on engine repair, hydraulics, electrical system, cooling sustem and basic info you would want to know on other components. The only thing that prevented me from giving this book 5 stars was that the examples of the restoration work focused on the 8N series tractor and did not reference the 600-900 series. Since I happen to own a '56 Ford 961 row crop I found this a bit of a fault. However the many color photos document the development of all these vintage tractors including the hundred series and the ones that came after. Since many of these vintage tractors were modified by previous owners over the 50 years or so that they have been at work on the farm, the photographs of correct restorations are particularly helpful.
on September 12, 2010
Don't think you can buy this one book and restore that old tractor that's been sitting in the feild next door for 20 years. No one book can do that. This is a good starter book if you are interested in Ford tractors and think you want to take one on as a project.
on January 29, 2014
The book is good, but there are several things that I think should be addressed.

1 Clearances - specs for valve clearances

2 Crankshaft bearing specs.

3 Tourqe ratings, head, bearing caps, connecting rods.

3 tires tourque specifications

4 A little more information about the PTO and some of it's action with accesories.
on September 3, 2013
I bought this just to work on the 8N my son and I have for our 4.25 Acres, we bought a shop manual new in the package and it is a good book if you are able to buy an Antique Tractor off the show room. If you are really serious about owning one to use for real work then this is the book you want and need. I can't say enough good about this book. We used it to rebuild the brakes and all the photos are in color and the written explanations are so simple even I can follow them. If you own a Ford Tractor, Grey and Red, Blue, or Yellow, You need this book to keep up with it. Thank You very much.
on July 25, 2014
It's a good overview for Ford tractors. To cover several models there has to be some generalization. On overhauling, I probably get more from watching videos on youtube. It is always wise to read and view a variety of opinions before jumping into a project. The book is good bedtime reading for guys who love tractors.
on March 15, 2014
This is, quite possibly, the most useful book on Ford tractors ever written. In addition to identification and repair of tractors, it contains contact information for parts and services. A "must have" manual for anyone who loves and uses their old Ford tractor.
on April 13, 2009
it has held my husband captive for the past month. he is ready to restore my dad's old ford 8n now.
on January 26, 2013
I bought this to gauge whether my grandfather's old '52 8N in my garage was restorable or not. The book is not a Chilton or Haynes manual (you've been warned), but it does have lots of good color photos of a tractor in various states of disassembly/restoration. It helped me locate serials numbers to date the tractor I have and pointed out some problem areas to look at if considering restoration. It also includes a very informative history of the Ford N-series tractors. I also find this book very helpful for talking about and explaining this tractor to other people who don't have much experience living in the country or being on a farm. Overall very satisified with this book.
on February 25, 2014
I work on computers for a living and when I pick up "A Guide for Dummies" book about computers I shake my head in disbelief that anyone needs such simple information. I do my own wrenching around the house, so when I read the glowing reports about this book, I thought it must have some value. I won't go so far as to say I hate it, but I can get this kind of information off the Net. It ranks right there with the Dummies in my mind.

I bought the Kindle version, so I don't know what size some of the pictures might be in the paper version, but they are worthless in the electronic version. If I can get my money back I will.
on February 12, 2011
This book was my husband's first "self picked" purchase on Amazon. He has been restoring tractors for nearly 40 years and said this is a great informational book. Even though most people would describe him as an excellent/top notch painter.......he found many "painting tips" in this book. Probably the best addition to his book collection!!!
Pat in Ohio