Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Potty (Leslie Patricelli board books)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Board book|Change

on March 10, 2011
Ok, so after sabotaging my child's potty training by thinking that I could MAKE him sit on the little potty, my son no longer wants to get within 20 feet of a toilet. Yay for me setting us back 5 yrs! I read that I should start reintroducing the idea of potty training by speaking positively about it, reading him books, and just generally getting him excited about peeing somewhere other than his diaper. I read through reviews of many, many books for kids and decided on 3 of them. Heck, if I thought it would help I'd buy all of them! I got the books in the mail yesterday afternoon...and proceeded to read every one of them to my son last night! Can we say, "desperate mommy"?!?

Fortunately, my son (2.5 yrs old) loves to be read to and was thrilled to have new books. This morning I changed his diaper and put on his cloth training pants (much better, in my opinion, than disposable training pants because they give the feel of underwear, but the protection of disposable diapers!), which he happens to like wearing, and for the next hour and a half I offered the potty to my son several times. Each time he said no, I just said, "That's ok! Maybe later!". Each time he DID say yes, I immediately got the books out, and he asked for this book, "Potty", each time. While he sat on his potty, I read the book to him. He did this probably 3 times over the hour and a half and I was surprised that he kept his underwear dry this entire time (and completely shocked that he actually sat on the potty!). Then, he suddenly went over to the potty, and said, "go potty!". I think he was actually talking to his bear (that I had placed on the potty...another trick I read in a book), but I excitedly asked if he needed to go potty. He actually said yes, so I helped him get his undies off and he sat down and, again, chose the Potty book. We didn't even make it through the first page before he peed! I am so glad we got this book because it has helped to positively introduce potty training back into my kiddo's life.

The book is very nice because it has simple words. In the books for children that I have read, the vast majority of them are too wordy, and seem as if they are written for much older children (4 yrs). I would assume that the typical potty-training child is around the age of 2-3, and therefore benefit from easy-to-understand, short sentences or phrases, and clear, engaging pictures. This book has all of that, plus some extra humor in there for children who understand it, and adults who appreciate it.
11 comment|578 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2010
The arrival of Potty couldn't be more perfect. My husband and I are just starting to introduce the idea of potty training to our two year old who's recently shown some interest. My son is already a huge fan of Yummy Yucky and No No Yes Yes, both on regular rotation as bedtime reads. Since Potty arrived in the mail two days ago, both my husband and I have read it over fifty times. As soon as the last page is turned, my son will ask for us to read it to him again. With its bright and humorous graphics and simple wording, Potty is a perfect book for introducing a little one to the idea of potty training. It's not overwhelming like some children's books which can be loaded down with words and too many graphics. Instead, Patricelli's books capture kids because they are simple, to the point, humorous, and engaging. Kids get Patricelli, and Leslie Patricelli gets kids.
33 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2010
My son loves this potty book, and so do I. Unlike everybody poops and similar books this one actually shows the child what needs to be done...sit on the potty and wait! This was the fist book that my son actually got really engaged in, laughing at funny parts, responding to questions the little kid asks, and best of all asking "again?" when I get to the end. We just bought another of Leslie Patricelli's board books (Yummy Yucky) and the same result. She does really well in targeting the 18+ month super active kids, because the stories aren't too involved language-wise for them to follow, and really comes at it from their point of view. Will be getting more of her books.
0Comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2015
So as a pediatrician I should understand why this book works. In all honesty it is like toddler voodoo. The author knows kids and has created a book with images and dialogue at a very appropriate level for their understanding. I can tell you though when it arrived and I read it myself I thought Amazon had led me astray. However the first time I read it to my toddler I noted weird lights going on in his head. I saw them. He was very interested in this book immediately although I found the story ridiculous. Like other reviewers I thought what does a cat peeing in a litter box have to do with him potty training? We kept the book next to his potty and anytime he would sit there, even underwear on I would read it to him. He loved it. Prepare yourself people to read this horrible yet effective text over and over. This book helped him slow down and wait and created a consistent dialogue for us to use as parents. He potty trained with this book just before he turned 2 years old. Has consistently stayed dry since about 26months. There is no one answer for potty training as all kids are different. For us this book absolutely worked to help him develop the patience he needed to wait for business to happen. The reason I remembered to leave this review almost a full year later is because he and my husband were reading the book together at bedtime last night. He still likes this boring story! Be warned. You will read it again and again.
on August 29, 2014
I bought this book based on recommendations from others and what a waste. While it has colorful and cute illustrations, in my opinion, that is the only pro.

My main criticism is that this 26-page book has next to no story line and very few words, making it a very awkward read -- so you find yourself making up a story on your own for most of the book. The pieces of the story that ARE present simply don't make sense. E.g., the child has to pee so badly, they show him dancing around making "ooh, mmm, haa, eee" noises (which took up two full pages). Then, for the next 4 pages, he gets on the potty, only to sit, look at it, then fall asleep. You also see pages of "what does kitty/doggy do" which then show them going in the litter box or on a tree with no accompanying explanation. How should my child relate to a cat peeing in the litter box, especially if he doesn't have pets? Just silly. The very last page of this book simply says "undies!" with many pictures of underwear. Terrible, terrible waste of money. For those interested, the full "story" is listed below. Save your money!

I have to go potty.
I could go in my diaper.
Should I go in my diaper?
I don't want to!
What does kitty do?
Oh. (image of cat in litter box)
What does doggy do?
Oh. (image of dog peeing on tree)
I really have to go!
Ooh, mmm, haaa, eee! (2-page spread of child jumping around)
Should I go in my potty?
I could try...
- oops Bye-bye-diaper! (2 page spread of child sitting on/looking at potty)
(no words on this 2-page spread. Image of child and cat/dog falling asleep)
What's that?
Tinkle, tinkle, toot
I did it!
Hooray! (Image of happy family)
Undies! (2-page spread of underwear)
2323 comments|219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2015
This book is awesome! Made me and the kids giggle. This, in combination with fun underpants and a new potty stool, has given us another kick start to potty training! My two year old loves it.
review image
on April 1, 2016
This book shows (so you can decide if it matches your needs):
- A gender-less baby character (12 months to 24 months max)
- Child using a toddler potty (not the regular toilet)
- A naked baby with privates cleverly covered; one image of a bare butt (see pic)
- A dog and cat going potty outside and in cat box
- No actual poop or pee
- Baby running with toilet paper in celebration at the end (see pic)

The story, in a nutshell [I say he, but baby could easily be a girl]:
Baby has to go potty and wonders where he should go (in diaper or somewhere else). He asks where the animals go to the potty and sees where. He decides to try going on his toddler potty. You see a sequence of the steps (remove diaper, sit, read book, wait, wait more) before he succeeds ("Tinkle, tinkle, toot... I did it!"). He celebrates with his parents. Last page spread just depicts all kinds of underwear, presumably to help your little one can get excited about wearing them (boy and girl styles shown).

Verdict:
The book is adorable and I love the art. This book has short, simple sentences and clearly target the younger potty training crowd (definitely for under 2, though older toddlers may still enjoy). I'll working on potty training soon (hopefully around 18 months) so I really appreciate a young character. I don't see my son relating as well to preschool age book characters. We are reading this now, ahead of time to familiarize him with the concepts and he loves this one. I wish the baby in the book asked where his parents go potty and not just the pets. Though parents are easier to make a direct relation to, the plot does allow conversations about everyone/thing having a place where they go potty, and baby's place is on the little potty. Since we have dogs, that may help.

I'll be reviewing every potty training book I can get my hands on in the near future as I find the ones I like best so stay tuned!
review image review image
on April 29, 2014
NO joke. I am pretty sure she wants to pee just so she can have me sit in there and read. This book most of all. For an adult it is rather horrible. Don't get me wrong, its cute and creative...but there is only so many times I can muster up enthusiasm for this one...especially since she wants me to read it EVERY time she uses the toilet!
EVERY. TIME.
She has it memorized.

PROS: Obviously interesting for a toddler. Cute and simple drawings. Colorful. Few words so we talk about the pictures and what is going on in them often. 23 month old orders me to read it. "mama sit, read potty book". Kid claps and laughs through the entire book...EVERY. TIME.
CONS: The words and pics are so simple that for the parent it gets VERY tedious trying to talk about the pictures 10 times a day...which is not the end of the world...though it might be the end of my sanity.
on March 20, 2011
Bought this for my 18m old.
She enjoys seeing the baby and the animals.

I found it lacking. It spent so much time addressing if the kid wanted to use the potty that it doesn't really talk about what happens afterward (wiping, hand washing). It also bothered me how many times it shows the kid getting off the potty. My daughter looks at the pics and gets up to imitate him which is not the part I want her to emulate!

Honestly though, I haven't really found many potty books I am altogether happy with. This is probably one of the better ones, but I still am not thrilled about it. It lacks educationally. Guess you can't win them all.
55 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After a false-start and several frustrating setbacks it became clear to my wife and I that we needed back-up to help potty-train our 2.5yr old little boy. We never wanted to make potty time something intimidating but we both felt that we'd reached the end of our ability to keep the stress factor low.

Potty, by Leslie Patricelli, came recommended by a family friend with a few kids of her own. Honestly, I was a little skeptical that a book would do much. My son has hordes of other books that he loves and I figured this would just be added to the pile. Well, this book isn't a panacea for you potty-training angst. But it is such a fun, cute little book that my son adores. We read this book probably 5 or more times a day and he cracks up every time. We've even convinced him (with the help of this book, of course) that it'd be more fun to read the book on the toilet!

The book is short, very colorful, and extremely easy to read. My son adores this book and reads along (as much as he can). We're still making steady progress on the potty-training front but we're close! Definitely recommend this book and my wife has already picked up copies for our friends with small children.