Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 25, 2007
This book was recommended to me by a friend and I purchased it quite recently because I've become interested in a wider range of knotting skills than tatting, which is my main speciality.

The book when it arrived was a lovely surprise. The introductory pages contain a synopsis of Chinese knotting history accompanied by full colour photographs of the knots in use to make practical and decorative items. The diagrams are clear enough though the knots very quickly become rather elaborate for a complete beginner learning straight from the book with no teacher to demonstrate. However patience and taking time to study the very accurate diagrams carefully will alleviate this problem. The other difficulty I encountered, particularly when reaching the stage of learning the Pan Chang Knot, was knowing how much string would be needed. No indication of this is given next the knots themselves though early on in the book it is mentioned that most can be tied with a length of three metre cord. Admittedly the amount required would depend on the thickness of the cord used, but some guidance would be helpful.

A series of projects is provided in the third part of the book, giving inspiration and instruction in using the knots in different ways. The diagrams of the projects are rather small so you would have to practice the knots themselves diligently until you can do them easily before attempting one of the projects.

However this is a very attractive book giving an interesting insight into the ancient art of Chinese knotting and I certainly recommend it for anyone interested in Chinese culture and for anyone who would like to learn Chinese knotwork.
on May 12, 2014
It may seem easy but I still cannot figure out the basic of knots. Seems like the author might have left out the tips and tricks section. In any case I use it for the terms, information on materials, design ideas, and inspiration. It is a nice book to have in your collection. But if you really want to know how to make the knots I still say Youtube, however not every knot is found on YouTube. But if you can at least make a few of the knots it helps in creating some beautiful pieces.
on January 11, 2012
I saw this book almost 20 years ago at at a friend's house. Was happy to come accross it but found it very basic. Wish they had some more elaborate designs. I wanted to make mala beads and wanted to make a pretty knot/tassle end.
on March 27, 2015
I borrowed this from the library and decided there was enough in it to buy it. The diagrams are large and very clear. I took off one star because there were no enough examples of how to use the beautiful knots.
on October 14, 2010
This book is Sooo inclusive. I never done Chinese knotting before. i got on Amazon and bought 5 books , All are between 4 and 5 stars. this book is The best and i dont really need any other if i only wanna learn how to do the knots .
The other books didn't have all these knots nor the really nice easy way of making knots by using pins. The other books use hand only technique which is not that easy and i end up lossing my way while trying to do big knots .
For example the butter fly knot which is the hardest knots on the other books and mostly the top creative one, is really hard to do it using only my hand but its soooooo easy using pins which made me more enthusiast to do the harder ones like the dragon , the fish or the malty knots necklaces . I really advice any beginner or above to get this book.
If u need inspiration to use the knots on cool modern projects, like i phone bags, accessory or daily life items , This book is NOT for u :P . Its just show u the knots and its history and how to make it , but if ur looking for more bigger knots and easy way to make it , u Should Buy this book (Chinese Knotting: Creative Designs that are Easy and Fun! [Hardcover]).
Hope u like this book as much as i did and forgive me if u didn't agree with me . Heba from KSA/UK
This beautiful book gives a clear and approachable introduction to the Chinese tradition of decorative knotting. It starts with a few pages of the craft's history in China, and includes some gorgeous examples sure to inspire just about any reader. How-to comes next, with a discussion of the tools (few and inexpensive) and materials of this technique. After the basics, another section shows "compound" knots, built from repetitions and recursions of the elementary techniques. Chen ends this book with a gallery section. This presents a range of attractive and practical applications, not just lovely works in themselves but inspiration to the budding knotter.

You can approach the craft as a unique body of knowledge in itself, or as a complement to other techniques. Either way, this warrants at least a little of any crafter's time - or, in the author's case, a lifetime of fascination.

-- wiredweird
on May 20, 2006
I just started into Chinese knotting. Though this book has beautiful photos/ideas, the projects are more advanced so the instruction photos/directions were insufficient for me to grasp how to create the beautiful projects. If you're a novice, look elsewhere. I returned mine. Gave it 4 stars just because it isn't for everyone.
on February 5, 2011
I know some traditional macrame & love making my own string & bead jewelry, but I know absolutely nothing about Chinese knotting, so I got this book hoping it would start me off and get me up and running on my own. It's hard cover with glossy photos on every page, TONS of very clear, hand-drawn picture instructions with accompanying text, and lots and lots of photos of real examples. Being a beginner, it was great for me, starting off with the most basic and easiest designs, and gradually getting more complex as the book goes on. But even if you're not a beginner, it's still chock-full of excellent information for very intricate and difficult designs as well.

What I liked was that it also included some history about what decorative knotting was used for, and how it was used, throughout the ages in China. It was interesting to find out that most ancient knots were made with silk, and unfortunately hardly any from ancient times had survived, being that silk was so delicate and rotted so easily. It was also interesting to find out that certain knots were exclusive to royalty that only they could wear. I had no idea knotting was used so extensively, or that the art was almost lost completely at one point, saved in the memories of only a few skilled people who (fortunately) were able to pass the skills and information on, and revive the art of knotting.

This book isn't over-wordy or too lengthy, therefore it's not intimidating, nor does it talk down to the reader. It just gets right down to business and is packed cover-to-cover with excellent information and all the instructions one could need to be able to figure it all out with the book alone. I thought perhaps I'd need to get 2-3 books on Chinese knotting to really "get it," but once I got this book first (fortunately), I didn't have a need to buy any other ones on the subject. It covered everything, from remedial to expert level.
on May 14, 2015
When I ordered this book I had no idea that there was anything Buddhist about Chinese knotting. The best I can figure out now, some of the knots are Buddhist symbols and others are not. If this matters to you (as it does to me) just be aware. You may want to do some research for yourself, not take my word for it, because I'm not at all sure I understand it.
I want to ensure that others are not surprised by this, and that is the only reason I'm writing this review.
on February 14, 2007
Detailed pictures on how to do each knot, from begining knots to the more complicated knots. To a multi-talented crafter, a must have. Great book!