Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on January 25, 1999
This is a beautiful photo guide to the most popular anchorages of the US and British Virgin Islands. If you are planning a sail of the islands, this is a _must_ have.
I spent ten years growing up in the Virgin Islands, and went back to sail after several years away. The charter company included this book, with which I fell in love. It offers a bird's-eye view of the anchorages available throughout the VI. The clear waters and high vantage allow you to see the reefs on the page, providing the most intuitive navigation possible. It definitely makes cruising easier and more enjoyable.
Weak points are that it does not cover some major beaches (more focus on harbors) and it has little supporting text. You should also get Scott's "Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands" or another guide book for more information about restaurants, night-life and other attractions available near the anchorages.
on February 8, 2013
After reading the EXCELLENT other publication by Nancy & Simon Scott, "The Crusing Guide to the Virgin Islands"- Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands, many people suggested that we also purchase "Virgin Anchorages" by the same authors. As I looked through the Virgin Anchorages book, there was no additional information in it, and it was the same as the cruising guide. Even the aerial photos are identical and the text is a stripped down, near word-for-word copy of the cruising guide's descriptions. I expected additional detailed information about anchorages, including charts of bottom depth approximations and bottom types, how many boats can fit in an area of the anchorages and information on mooring fields. As with any travel book, information can get outdated before it goes to publication, but the reworking of their excellent book "The Crusing Guide to the Virgin Islands" to publish this one seems unnecessary to me. Had I known that the information in this book was practically the same as in the authors' Cruising Guide, I would not have purchased the Virgin Anchorages book.
on June 4, 2001
I agree with the previous reviewer that the photographs are of excellent quality. However, I do not think that they are a very good aid to navigation. Nautical charts provide all the necessary information (water depths, buoy locations, length scales, navigation hazards, etc.) in a more useful manner. In addition, there is very little supporting text to augment the photos. So unless you want a collection of pretty pictures, I recommend that you save your money and buy a cruising guide and a set of up-to-date charts.
on August 29, 2004
We first saw this book in the nav station on a Moorings boat that we chartered in the British Virgin Islands. We looked it over and thought "These pictures are gorgeous. Why do they include it? Maybe they want to sell it to us." The Moorings doesn't sell it and, as of Summer 2004, they are not including new copies on boats because too many people took them home. It is a gorgeous picture book of anchorages in the Virgin Islands. It is not just a pretty picture book though.

Overleaf from every photograph is a copy of the picture with lines to show reefs and the passage into the harbor. In our two trips to the British Virgin Islands, these pictures have been extremely helpful more than once to get a picture of what we were doing. While text descriptions are helpful, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words when you are looking for a bouy, and you sure don't have time to read a thousand words.

This is a great supplement to the Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands and I wouldn't go to the BVI without it.

Postscript added August 2014.
I had to buy the new edition because we were going to sail in the BVI and our older version is in storage. As expected, I was glad to have overview pictures of even familiar anchorages. The new version includes some extra harbors but I wouldn't have bought the new edition if the old one had been available and I would have been right.
on April 28, 2013
This is an expensive coffee table booklet to show how pretty the Virgin Islands are. It is not a cruiser's guide, is not an anchorage guide and has no real information of value to the cruiser, other than the photos. These photos are available in the authors' other book, 'Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands' which has some info for cruisers but still falls way short of what it should be. If you have that guide there is no reason to get this 'Virgin Anchorages' book unless you just want to look at pretty pictures.
on June 3, 2015
If you have the Cruising guide of the Virgin Islands by the same author, this is a waste of money. Most of these photos are in the cruising guide, as are a more comprehensive description of how to enter the harbors and what to do when you get there. We were disappointed in this purchase.
on June 8, 2001
We just finished a bareboat charter trip to BVI and found that we were frequently referring to this book. It was extremely usefull in locating moorings and anchorages. I would recommend it highly. The only negative is that there were some areas missing.
on March 28, 2007
We have chartered a boat the last two years in the British Virign Islands,this book was a great help when it came to visualizing the islands and where to find mooring balls. Others we have traveled with have also purchased the book.
on February 10, 2016
This is our second purchase of this product - after 10 years, the prior edition perished in a squall. This is an essential complement to the cruising guide. Suggest a gallon ziplock to save it from those sudden downpours.
on October 13, 2011
A bunch of pretty pictures of major anchorages in the Virgin Islands. Supposedly contains information helpful to navigation but I didn't find any. Nothing here that you can't get free from google earth. Also, it would be idiotic to substitute these "calendar shots" for a real chart. Just another entrepreneur preying on the uninformed. Would never have purchased if, as in brick & mortar store, able to look at first.