Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Psychology: Themes and Variations, 9th Edition
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 9, 2013
I use this text in teaching Introduction to Psychology at a Community college. We are on the quarter system so I use the 'brief' edition. Use the full edition with semester long classes. On line course? Use the brief edition. It is a good well rounded Intro book. Easily read and has all kinds of assist items for the student. Things like large print in color, boxed in summaries, chapter quizz and a good index. Like all professors some of my pet topics are not covered (Insanity) and I would like more from Evolutionary and Healthy Psychology. A little less on Freud. No problems have come up in reading difficulty. Students like it. With the DSM 5 coming out there will probably be a 10 ed. My only complaint is the cost. Our book store has it at $246. That is terrible!
on January 12, 2015
The material is very well presented and flows from chapter to chapter. Examples from life and previous studies are abundant and help convey the material. Checkpoints along the chapter review the concepts learned in the section. Very good use of images/graphs/data and they are usually properly explained either in the text or the caption. A few great tools for studing includes an end of the chapter multiple choice test and chapter summaries in two forms (web layout and summary of main theme of the chapter graphically).

MOST IMPORTANTLY, SAME CONTENT AS THE 9TH EDITION!! With the DSM-V out now, I believe that what the professor will cover in and intro class would be sufficient. The eating disorders and mood disorders are reclassified but they still exist. Easy stuff that should be in the lecture or at least Google-able.

Pro tip: Don't buy a used book and expect an access code. Just...no.
on November 18, 2015
My professor required this specific version for some reason. It arrived wrapped securely in shrink wrap, but there was no true cover (like with other paperbacks), and the loose-leaf pages are super flimsy (like old newsprint). After it arrived, I ordered a sturdy three-ring binder to go with it, which took care of my first concern, that of keeping the pages intact.

After the term was over, it's likely you'll be unable to resell this volume.
on May 6, 2016
It worked well as a text book for my intro to psychology class but it came almost half covered in pink construction paper taped over much of the cover with packing tape. I'm giving it four stars because to me personally, it wasn't very interesting and was a bit long winded, but it provided very clear, easy to absorb and understand information and is pretty great as a text book or if you're interested in psychology. I also appreciated the descriptive diagrams and pictures.
on December 25, 2013
I used this book for psyc 101 and it helped me understand the material well (A- in the course at a very well-known university). I liked the comics strewn throughout the chapters and the way pictures helped to break up the reading. Nothing sucks more in a textbook than walls of black-on-white text which blurs together. Illustrations help me find things when I need to look back at the chapters and keep me entertained. Great book!
on December 17, 2013
This Textbook is great it has helped me vastly understand psychology, I had AP Psychology for high school and when it was time for college and I had to take psychology classes again the knowledge this book branded on me had no price, I was passing test from prior knowledge in my 10th grade class. Would Recommend. Take care, Have a good day.
on February 19, 2013
This book is a great starter book for a student who want's to know what psych is all about. The book is very informative for the reader and easy to understand. Even if your not a student, you will still find the book very interesting.
on March 14, 2013
I am a student at Western Oregon University and my college professor taught us everything that was super relevant in our 10 week term. I has current up to date information that does a great job of allowing brand new students to psych to understand the concepts. Lots of pictures and current up-to date information that matters to everyone
on February 19, 2013
When received not in resell condition as stated: binder barely connected, can see on the pages where someone had written pages used as bookmark and left writing on the pages. Very hard to read and understand the way it is set up.
on December 2, 2012
The book looked good on the outside, but the top corner of the pages were covered in something sticky, like coffee. It wouldn't be that big a deal if all of the pages weren't stuck together at the top, making it a pain to flip through for a quick search AND if the price had been reduced to match the condition.