Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on July 16, 2011
Demons, Exorcists, Satan, Oh my!

I was a little skeptical about how good this series would start out, but so far it's good.
Right off the bat, this manga held my interest.

- The art is lovely to look at and conveys the story very well.
- The characters are likable and not so outrageous like some series.
- It reads well/flows smoothly. I'm never left looking at a panel trying to figure out what the hell I'm seeing.
- The story is interesting, tho probably a little predictable (so far.)
- On a technical note, I like how viz really prints out the ink nice and black. It's pleasing to my eye.

So far it's a good manga, I highly suggest it.
on June 5, 2011
I've been a big fan of this series since its initial serialization in Jump Square magazine a few years back, so you can imagine my excitement when I found out that it was being released here - and that Viz was translating it. So I dug in happily, and was quite pleased to find that Viz got it right, and it isn't even apart of their SigIkki line, so no special effort was needed. The English adaptation was more or less seamless - which was to be expected as this series doesn't really have many cultural notes to explain (it's based more on Western religion/mythology than Eastern religion/mythology), so that probably took a lot of weight from the translators' shoulders. If you're looking for a new series to jump into (no pun intended), and you like stories about demons, this one is most definitely for you. Good job, Viz! Keep it up. And don't let me down!

(crossposted to librarything, shelfari, goodreads, and [...])
on August 27, 2011
I purchased the first book of this manga, and I found myself going back to the store to buy the other 2 books the same day. This manga is a great story about a guy who finds out he is the son of Satan and has become a demon, and how this young man copes learning a truth that has been shielded from him for 15 years. I have listed some reasons why I enjoy this manga.
-The full story line/ plot of this manga is great. It is slightly predictable, but I have enjoyed every moment of it.
-The characters are well made and none of them are annoying or too much. I usually only like the main character and maybe one other character. But with this manga I found myself loving each and every single character, major or not.
-The artwork is done very very well and it is very easy to follow/ read.

They have already made the anime and it is still airing in Japan, but I have watched it on Hulu, and I gotta say I cant wait for them to dubb it and release the anime of this manga in the future.
Its a great story and so far it does not disappoint. So go drive over to Barnes and noble, and add this to your cart, because believe me, this manga is a must have in your anime collection.
on August 3, 2014
How have I overlooked this series for so long? Shame on me for not reading this sooner. I have known of the series but it has always been on the back-burner for me and not a priority. Guess what series is now on my to-buy more of list? Yep! This one.

This series starts off with young, adolescent Rin who seems to be struggling to find his place in life. No real objectives regarding school or life, he has just skated by. His younger brother Yukio is someone is is proud of and has recently been accepted to a prestigious school but Rin's future seems to be a mystery. One day he can suddenly see demons! His adoptive father, Father Shiro Fujimoto, explains that he is the son of Satan himself.

When Satan comes to collect his son his father dies protecting him and Rin vows to become an exorcist and to defeat Satan himself. However in doing so, he unleashed his own demon side. Which include a few physical altercations. He is sent to a special school which just happens to be the same school where his brother is at. And Yukio has a few surprises of his own!

I really enjoyed this intro volume. I can't help but love Rin. He can be perceived as a total slacker (and sometimes is) but his heart is in the right place. And now he has a huge chip on his shoulders! I can't help but empathize with him now! It is a good blend of paranormal, mystery, action and comedy.

The demons so far are almost amusing. Especially how many of them look! but I am sure I will get to see the scarier demons as we continue through the series. After all, this is the beginning and Rin is just a rookie in training. There is a bit of confusion with the timelines of when Yukio started school, to the death of Father Fujimoto to Rin attending the school. Otherwise I am quite impressed with this.

In addition to enjoying this manga, I now have the anime as one to see soon. I can't wait to see how they compare! I will definitely be continuing this series!

*I received this from Viz Media via Edelweiss for review. All opinions and thoughts expressed are strictly my own.*
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2013
I've seen the first couple episodes of this series, and I'd always wanted to read the manga. Just as I expected, the manga was just as amazing as the anime! 5/5 stars.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon August 26, 2013
Blue Exorcist follows the story of Rin Okumura, a teenager who finds that his abnormal strength is the result of being the son of Satan. When his foster father is killed, Rin draws the forbidden demon blade to try to protect him - but instead releases his demonic powers (deadly blue flame, horns/tail, etc.). These changes are permanent and Rin can no longer hide in the human world. His step brother and son of the foster father, the gentle Yukio, turns out to be a highly trained exorcist and was prepared by his father to protect and guide Rin away from become evil. Together, the two use Rin's power's to fight evil.

This very popular and well illustrated series does have some interesting twists in upcoming further volumes. And of course, there is great mystery to be found, especially with the enigmatic Mephisto Pheles.

This is a solid series and definitely a manga for Bleach and Naruto fans.

Received as an ARC from the publisher.
on May 27, 2012
I didnt get this manga from amazon but at a local store and I have to say I cant wait to get vol.2 I was really surprised how good this manga actually was. I kept me reading until the end didn't stop once (unlike one piece). I enjoyed this manga very much and I think I will stick with this series for a while. I had a hatred for any SJ series because Bleach was just getting really dumb (please no flames I just dont like Bleach that is my opinion) so I didn't read or watch any shonen jump for a while, but then I picked this up by my friends recommendation and I am glad I did you wont be disappointed and like I said I cant wait to get vol.2 hope that helps
on November 21, 2011
Rin was raised by Father Fujimoto in a church all his life. But he soon discovers that he isn't as normal as he thought he was, when an attack forces him to uncover that he is the son of Satan and the power of the blue flames runs in his blood. When Rin loses someone dear to him at the hands of Satan he swears vengeance on him and enters True Cross Academy, a school that trains exorcists.

The summary of this manga reminded me of one of my favorite manga, D. Gray-Man, which is also about exorcists, but after reading Blue Exorcist I realised it was nothing like it. I loved the mythology behind this manga, it wasn't too complicated but interesting to learn. The world consists of two dimensions: the first one is Assiah, the world where humans live and the second is Gehenna, the world of the demons. Demons can travel between the worlds by possessing the body of a human.

I really loved the main character Rin, he's kind and sweet and definitely my favorite character! Other characters introduced are Yukio, Rin's younger twin brother - who is the opposite of him in every way. Father Fujimoto - Rin and Yukio's adopted father - like Rin I also instantly loved his character even though we only saw him for a short while. Mephisto, the head master of True Cross Academy was eccentric and hilarious! More students are introduced later on in the chapters of this volume and the next. I definitely give high points for the characters!

The art is clean and clear-cut; it doesn't have any unnecessary things. The characters are very nicely drawn! The plot of the first volume was mainly an introduction of the world and characters and each chapter has its own story, I believe it starts getting into a storyline later on. But nonetheless I really enjoyed this manga and urge you to try it!
on August 17, 2015
(3.5 stars)

Rin Okumura lives with his twin brother Yukio at the Southern Cross Boys' Monastery in True Cross Academy Town. Their guardian, Father Fujimoto, wishes Rin to get a job, so he can someday become a fully functioning member of society. He sends Rin on a job interview to a local restaurant, but Rin encounters a group of troublemakers who harassed him that morning. But there's something very odd about them.

Rin learns the truth of his birth. His mother was human, and his father a demon, and not just any demon but Satan himself. Father Fujimoto gives Rin a choice--to run away or be killed. But Rin has other ideas, and ends up a student at the True Cross Academy, along with Yukio.

The first volume of the Blue Exorcist series feels a little disjointed at times, and maybe a little repetitive. Once Rin enters the Academy, the story becomes stronger, with the addition of Rin's brother Yukio, and the head of the Academy, Mephisto Pheles.

I'm a little confused at this point about the relationship between the two brothers. They are twins, but only Rin is a demon, and Yukio seems obsessed with Rin being a demon, although they have the same father. I hope we see more about this later, as well as more about the Academy and the Strange Mephisto Pheles.

One of the best parts of this volume concerned Rin accompanying Yukio to an exorcism, where he meets a young girl named Shiemi, who lies helplessly in her grandmother's garden.

All in all, it was a good first volume, and I intend to keep reading the series. If you like demonds, exorcists, and sassy bishounen, check this series out.
on March 19, 2015
Blue Exorcist is a holy grail of adventure. With a unique cast and proper amount of eccentricities (if there is such a thing), Blue Exorcist is original down to its core.

Rin and Yukio Okumura are twin orphans living in a monastery with the preist who raised them. Rin is the trouble child, always getting into trouble he doesn't mean to cause. Yukio is the genius, a smart teen and good boy. For Rin's entire life, he's been branded a demon child--but the truth about him is not so far from that mark. The Okumura twins are literally sons of the demon king Satan, and an incident including the death of the preist unleashes the hellfire within Rin, the only brother born with demonic powers.

With the promise of slaying his own father, Rin, despite the demon blood flowing in him, joins the exorcists in their academy for training. But if they found out the truth about their new comrade, Rin will in a hell'va lot of trouble.