Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on December 13, 2010
As a children's librarian, I have loved the Olivia books by Falconer and have watched hundreds of children love them, too. This is NOT that same Olivia. Olivia is a snarky little girl with a bit of the odd about her. She is charmingly offbeat and hilarious. Olivia Claus was not written by Ian Falconer. The little girl portrayed in this book shows none of the charm of the Olivia of the other books. In fact, this could be ANY little girl. The story is just a cutesy, schmaltzy Christmas story - not at all what is expected of Olivia. Buy "Olivia in Venice" instead and see how Olivia causes everyone to laugh out loud.
22 comments9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2010
Our boys ages 3 and 5 love Olivia and her sense of imagination. This Christmas book has a fun "giving" story line. I have seen it elsewhere for double the price! I was so extremely thankful Amazon had this item in stock just in time for Christmas.
on November 20, 2013
Ok, so yes it's not written by Ian Falconer, it's a "TV tie-in," and there's no wit or precociousness to speak of. But as children's Christmas stories go, it's darn hard to find a story line like this one. 1.) Olivia believes she already has everything she needs. 2.) If she was Santa Claus, she'd use her magic to return lost things to people, because long-loved stuff is better than new stuff. 3.) When she loses her lovie, her brother HELPS her look for it. 4.) Olivia MAKES her brother a christmas present -a puzzle piece to replace the one he lost, so he can finish his puzzle. These messages would be right at home in the 1930s or 1940s or 2010s. We'll be cutting way back on the commercial part of Christmas this year ourselves and this book helps set the tone for that.
VINE VOICEon December 20, 2010
I saw this book at a local craft store, thinking it was written by Ian Falconer. I thought we had read all of his Olivia books, so I couldn't wait to read this new book to my kids. We got about half way through reading it and I knew this book was NOT written by Falconer. It felt canned. It wasn't funny or clever. I stopped reading and looked at the front for his name. I didn't see a name on the front. So I turned it to the back and found "adapted by Kama Einhorn" and "based on the TV series OLIVIA".

This book is not good. The only reason I'm giving it 2 stars is because the pictures are pretty neat. They are slightly raised which gives them a 3D look. My kids loved that.
on January 28, 2011
We love Olivia, and she's done it again! We got this book for my daugher around Christmas time and she was thrilled. We read it constantly. The book is really big. It's the size of the other Olivia hardback books. I thought this was going to be a small boardbook, but we really like how big the pictures are and we can point out each word as we read. The pages are really thick, but still a paper. I thought she might rip them, but it's held up well to my 2 1/2 year old turning the pages. Great purchase!
on December 27, 2010
This is absolutely one of the best books! My child loves the show, Olivia, and this book is just perfect. The illustrations and textured pages are sooooooo NICE!! I just cannot get over the quality of the book. The pages are nice and thick, the colors are so bold, and there is slight texture to the pictures. The price on Amazon.com is GREAT...all other stores were selling for $17. If your child likes the show Olivia, this book is highly recommended!
on January 3, 2013
I was disappointed when I received this book to find it isn't an Olivia book written by Ian Falconer. Instead this book is based on an episode of the Olivia cartoon TV show. I definitely recommend Olivia Helps with Christmas (by Ian Falconer) instead of this corporate by-product.
on December 30, 2010
If your children or grandchildren enjoy watching Olivia, they will love this book and any other Olivia book. Even if they've never seen the show, they will enjoy the character and stories. They will fall in love with Olivia!
on December 10, 2013
A well written and illustrated adventure of the impish and exuberant porcine pixie, Olivia. Anyone who loves Olivia will love this
tale of Christmastime with her.
on May 3, 2012
Olivia is great, this isn't my fave tale but she's delightfully precocious. The construction of the book it super and pictures by Falconer are wonderful as usual.