Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on October 29, 1999
If you expect literature, read something else. This book is a classic is its own right, and is much better than the trash churned by other writers in this genre, such as Jackie Collins.
The Adventurers is the story of Diogenes Alejandro Xenos, or just Dax. The book follows his struggles against circumstances and for his country, how his family becomes the victim of yet another revolution perpetrated in the name of justice. Graphic sex and violent scenes are depicted here, but not unnecessarily. Every word gives an insight into the development of the main character.
You will be thrilled reading this book, you will have moments of elation, and of sadness. And you will realize the futility of the struggles of the subjucated people in a number of third world countries. Harold Robbins very poignantly points out that for many of us, the more things change, the more they remain the same.
Dax appeals to the hero in all of us. I recommend this book highly. I hope you enjoy it.
on June 2, 1999
If ever lived the idea of the men of men, Diogenous Alejandros Xenos is this character. Dax is a phenomenon which makes me wonder if this is an extention of Harold Robbin's innerself, or the ideal man which many men would love to be represented as. READ THE BOOK TO FIND OUT WHY!!! It is very violent, depicting rape and torture but these atrocities set into play the character Dax becomes. Set against the tale of a South American country's struggle for liberation, Dax becomes a foster child of the revolution, and this is only the beginning. A must read for every man.
on September 4, 2014
I expect there will be a Robbins renaissance now that his work has been Kindleized. People just dont write the way he did anymore, and looking back, it shows he was the master.

I read my way through his catalogue as young man when the stories were still freshly minted. The Adventures was one I read many times. It was captivating, titillating, and engrossing all at the same time.

Robbins had a gift for characterization that I dont beleive has been equalled. The story here follows the life of a young boy who witnesses the rape and murder of his mother and sister by revolutionaries in a small south American country. He is taken under the wing of the commander, and becomes one himself rising in the new regime. Later he is sent to Europe and becomes the darling of the social set, eventually taking over his fathers posting as consul.The story follows Dax and key characters he encounters (whose subplots are seamlessly woven into the framework of the book) through the middle years of the twentieth century.

In the Adventurers Robbins draws a poignant picture of a man who, in devotion to his country and driven by a desire to help the helpless, is used by the people he loves and trusts and ultimately cast aside in the bonfire of their own shortcomings.

We also have a love story, of two starcrossed lovers who because of who they are can never truly be together.

Not only is Dax a character that pops to life, but this is true of the secondary characters as well.

So in the Adventurers, we have an epic that spans time and continents. There is sex, intrigue, violence, all wrapped in a solid tapestry of great dialogue and narrative spun by the master of late twentieth century American story telling.

Finally, this was Robbins at his absolute best. If you read only one by him, make it this one!

You can't do better!
on July 2, 2000
I would be the last person to suggest that anything Harold Robbins wrote had any literary merit. I just had to write a paean to an author who made me realize, as a 12-year-old back in 1963, that I could make it through two large novels (this one and The Carpetbaggers) and come through it with a taste for fiction. Of course I was titillated and thrilled and thought Dax the coolest guy this side of the Man From Orgy. I only recall that there was a plethora of money, women and adventure, ingredients that would appeal to any 12 year-old-boy's imagination. It appears, from the dearth of reviews, that Old Harold's books are pretty-much neglected these days. They're probably too dated for a contemporary 12-year-old. I wonder what 700+ page books today's 12-year-old boys are reading?
77 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2000
Anybody who's read Robbins' recent work like "The Raiders" and "The Predators" would write him off as tawdry, degrading sex and that's about it. But not when you get this far back, gang. In those days, a Robbins book had a story--one you could sink your teeth into. And this one is one of the best. Nothing depresses me more than a book where the protagonist is the least disgusting of a number of slimeballs, and Robbins makes you like this one. Robbins was always best at stories that covered most of his main character's life. "Adventurers" is the epic story of the rise of a Latin American generalissimo from an embattled childhood through a playboy young manhood to the rule of his country. It's a great story, but one word of warning--Robbins has slight deficiencies in portraying nationalities not his own. In the early stages of the story when it's largely set in rural areas of the ficticious South American nation "Corteguay", characters tend to sound like a cross between Speedy Gonzales and Baba Looey. Dax's caretaker/ mentor Gato Gordo ("Fat Cat"), before he was played by Ernest Borgnine in the movie, made me think of the comical Sergeant Garcia from the Disney Zorro series. You almost expect policemen to declare that they don't need no steenkin' badges. In my opinion, once you tune that out, you've got a story on your hands of a magnitude that Robbins himself can't seem to manage anymore.
on July 19, 2007
I highly recommend this wonderful book. :)

Although I didn't understand a lot of the finer points, I was captivated by this story when I was 16, spending several weeks fascinated by Dax and his Latin American adventures.

Someday I'll re-read it to recapture the magic.
on October 6, 2013
What can I say? I read this book when I was 19 or so. I thought it was pretty sexy. But the second reading (last year) made me realize that there is a lot of interesting history in this book. History in the sense that it might have happened exactly like what's in the book. Or not. But it could have. Maybe it did. Anyhow, it is a very good, enjoyable read and at this stage in life, it's not exactly as sexy as I thought it was years ago. LOL
on May 30, 2014
Still one of my favourite Harold Robbins books! I have been looking for it on Kindle ever since I got one over three years ago. I was very glad last night when I finally saw that it was available for purchase. I have read it several times but not recently. Now that it is on my Kindle, I can read it whenever I feel like it. Great book!
on June 30, 2016
Thank you for this extraordinary story about Dax and the various events in his life. The escapades he lived were outstanding. His thirty plus years covered his lusts, love, appetite and power. The story, in itself, showed how lust, greed, power and violence took precedence over goodness toward your fellow man. I found this story very enjoyable.
on August 1, 2015
Great book by Harold Robbins. Though a long book, I stayed invested in the characters and kept wondering what was going to happen to Dax and the others. It had a surprise ending that I don't want to give away. I loved this book, and I feel bad that he is no longer with us to write more of this kind. Every bit as good of an epic as The Carpetbaggers. Tells the story of Dax as a boy and his rise to fame and power in a small South American country. Robbins' style of writing keeps the reader reading.