Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 3, 2013
I am disappointed with this text overall. I like the first chapter on everything's an argument and love the images for illustration and anlysis. But in teaching rhetorical analysis and other types of arguments, I have found that the text uses student examples that are too sophisticated to help my first year students who are taking the course for general education credit. Where do they get the student examples? I suggest taking some from various levels, not just the best.

The explanations of the arguments are thorough but troublesome in that the author's political assumptions are embedded. Some students have objected to them. My students are also having difficulty digesting the text and using it to develop their own argument papers. I find that I am supplementing too much to support the text. Bottom line: I won't use this text again for a general first year course.

On the other hand, I like having the section on writing and revision application with each chapter. It would help to show a paper in process from start to finish.
88 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed using this book in my AP English Language class as a Junior in high school. Some of the more negative reviews complain that it was over the students' head or that college students don't understand satire, but that was not at all the case in my high school class. The examples are relevant and engaging. The text doesn't talk down to the students. The only con is that the authors political views do come through every once in a while, which contradicts the book teaching against bias, but overall if the students can pick up on it as we all did very quickly, it becomes a lesson in bias, and in no way detracts from the book (especially as the students are learning to read everything with a grain of salt and engage all texts with their own point of view). Overall this is my favorite text book I have ever been assigned, and was always delighted to be assigned a chapter to read.
VINE VOICEon September 16, 2009
The book has great examples for argumentative writing and breaks down the different styles of argumentative writing.
on June 21, 2009
This book helps in every aspect of writing and understanding the issues of agrumentative papers. It also stays true to its title....Everything is an Argument!
on August 15, 2008
I had to buy this book for an english class... It is very easy to read and is informative on how to create an argument and stick to your points.
on January 2, 2016
Great book needed it for school and still have it, I like the variety of readings, and that's probably the biggest strength of the book; I don't know of a single other reader with such a range, and a well-chosen range at that. The organization (section naming, particularly) could use some work - lots of repetition and names that don't really tell me anything when I'm searching for something. I also don't see myself using any of the large amount of the book dedicated to talking about MLA, APA, or visual arguments given there's so many digital resources that do it better.
on April 25, 2015
Buying these books is ridiculous when you can rent them. We're broke college students so why spend $100+ on a book you barely use? This book was in such great condition the access code wasn't even scratched. I won't be scratching it and using it because I'm not sure of that voids the rental but it was nice to see. Don't buy text books unless it applies to your major and can be used for later reference. Otherwise you may end up like me with a stack of text books the school wouldn't buy back! I wish I would of known renting online was an option my freshman year; would of saved me a lot of money.
on September 14, 2014
Actually a pretty good book. I bought this for my English class and needless to say it has some very interesting ideas and topics for writing good annotated bibliographies. It's use of examples is flawless. Definitely worth a read.
on January 28, 2014
I bought this thinking there weren't two versions. But, there are. Though this one is handy and takes up as little space as possible it does not have the readings in it that some teachers, like mine, if you don't need the readings... excellent buy.
on February 27, 2016
4 Stars. I like this book but I don't exactly love it. It's now in a 7th edition. Written at a ninth grade reading comprehension level (as are most entry level/introductory/survey college textbooks). Most of my students report that the book is accessible, interesting, and "easy." They like the graphics. To me it feels a bit much like a high school textbook. In that way, it's a solid choice for students transitioning from high school to college. Or it's a solid choice for AP classes.

In opposition to some Amazon reviewers, I don't believe that the authors offer a political agenda. The book contains political discourse on social issues. Naturally, some of it will be biased. But that's the point. The so-called "political agenda of the authors" and "political assumptions" illicit analytical response from a literate audience. They're meant to have a rhetorical effect. As readers, we're expected to identify political language, bias, rhetorical appeals, etc and ANALYZE, CRITIQUE, AND EVALUATE it--the good, bad, and ugly. The authors are nationally recognized experts in rhetoric and composition. Much of the instruction + readings are intended for THINKING and WRITING... the authors don't peddle a certain political perspective...Rather, they offer diverse perspectives on social issues for our critical evaluation. The edition without readings is an affordable, sensible option for most college students... Since the publisher has gone to a new edition the 6th ed is no longer available via the publisher's website; it's available on the used market (in most cases students can still purchase the 6th ed but cannot rent it). There's also a free pdf version on the internet of the 6th ed with readings--