Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 14, 2008
OK well I admit I am a kid at heart. I've been around for half a century, and I read about 30 books every year, but when I heard Creepy was coming out in book form ... well, I haven't been this excited since I bought (stole?) my first Playboy back in 1970.

Then I went to a bookstore and looked at some of the so-called competition. I won't name names, but the compilation of horror comics I looked at was disheartening: cheap paper stock, bad reproduction, small pages. So, when I pre-ordered this book, I was expecting a letdown.

Not ... to ... worry.

Creepy Archives came in the mail today, and I couldn't be happier (I know, I know, this sounds like a publisher sales pitch; it's not).

The paper stock is thick, shiney, and much better than the originals way back in the early '60s. The reproduction is excellent. Page size is the same as the original. And -- completely unexpected -- each of the first five covers (Frazetta, gotta love him) is reproduced in glorious living color.

But of course, all of this is secondary to the main point -- the genius of Frazetta, Archie Goodwin, Reed Crandall, et al. The artwork and stories are unparalled for this kind of work.

Can you tell I'm a happy hiker today?
VINE VOICEon August 16, 2008
At last.

A cultural touchstone for thousands of young kids from the 60's and 70's has made its' way to the archive bookshelf, and that "touchstone" is Creepy Magazine.

Being, purportedly, a "grown-up" now, I realize that the Warren magazines like Creepy and Eerie were the sequela to the EC phenomenon. But back then, I was the wrong age for EC. Didn't know they even existed. I was absolutely the right age for Creepy. I devoured them right along with my Spider-man and X-men comics.

If you have ventured this far into the review, I suspect you:

1) have this fizzy glee after reading the words "Creepy Archives" and "now in stock".

2) have this carbonated sizzle in your brain noticing the words, 'volume ONE.'

3) are immediately recollecting those lazy days of reading and re-reading these amazing stories coupled with black and white artwork so good...so evocative...that whole color schemes formed in your skull. Sounds. Odors. These were mini-movies that we replayed over and over again.

4) are wondering if those glorious ads are included. Well, so far, they are. They were an essential part of that Warren experience. Leaving them out would be like leaving the jelly off a PB& J sandwich. It doesn't ruin the meal, but you don't get the intended flavor. It just wouldn't BE "Creepy" without them.

The book itself is lovely. The covers are reproduced in vivid color. The size of the book is at least as big as the original magazine; it somehow appears larger. The artwork is sharp and laser precise. I found myself admiring details that as a kid, you simply aren't that aware. Better said, I knew great art when I saw it when I was 9 or 10, but now I can see why I thought that.

A side effect of traveling back in time to when this sort of stuff occupied a significant portion of my free time, is that associated memories come flooding back. A certain type of candy bar that I liked at the time. The smell of model glue. The popular songs on the radio from that era. Those trips to South America to visit my extended family.

Like it or not, "Creepy" was around for a big chunk of my childhood. I have boxes of them stored in Mylar in storage somewhere.

This magnificent, luxuriously produced edition, has brought back wonderful memories, and at the same time has allowed me to further appreciate this singular phenomenon.

Dark Horse...bravo on a remarkable addition in the archiving of comic history.

Don't you DARE stop now!
on August 15, 2008
I was eight years old when I first read Creepy Magazine, then later Erie and Vamperella -talk about growing up fast! Creepy featured all the greats such as Frazetta and Wally Woods, professionally inked and shadowed in black and white. The intent was to scare and entertain with short stories featuring your sarcastic host Uncle Creepy -reminiscent of Tales from the Crypt. Just like in the movie Blade Runner, the visual aspect was so detailed, I found myself reading them over and over again. Many of the stories are predictable, but I fancy the thought of movies or T.V. shows we see today were inspired by these quaint little plots and characters. This hardback edition includes issues 1 through 5 with color covers and old advertisements - just like the originals. This is a wonderful treat for those nostalgic fans of fantasy or those who are a little afraid to unpack their collectibles. I hope they continue reproducing all the Warren Publishing Mags in the same quality binding and print.
on September 19, 2008
Wow! I've been waiting for years for the Warren magazine archives, Creepy and Eerie. I wonder, though if Dark Horse is going all the way and reprint the whole series. After issue 17, Creepy became really bad for a couple of years until about issue 30, when "new talent" like Richard Corben, Bill DuBay and Bruce Jones came around and the magazine went on to become the best horror mag of all times (sorry EC buffs, but the Warren magazines from the 70's were tops). Let's not forget the Spanish invasion later on, with the top spanish artists contributing to the magazine.

I wonder also if other Warren magazines will ever get their archives (Blazing Combat is being done by Fantagraphics), but what about my fave sci-fi mag, 1984 (later on, due to copyright issues, 1994) and stuff like The Rook and so on.

The main problem I see with these archives (which are beautifully reproduced, they are even better than the original issues printed on pulp paper), is that, as I said before, some time down the line (when most of the good artists and Archie Goodwin quit) they were really terrible (lots of amateur art and even spelling mistakes in the sophomore texts). Should they also be reprinted to continue the whole run of the magazines, even if the artistic quality was below average? Uhmm, dunno... Let's wait and see what Dark Horse has in mind.

Anyway, now I can finally put away all my old copies of the magazine and read the stories once again in pristine condition.

Kudos to everyone involved in this project!
Will all due respect to Playboy, Creepy may very well be the greatest magazine ever. Premiering in 1964, Creepy filled the huge void for true horror comics that was left when EC Comics was essentially forced out of business over a decade earlier. Because it was a magazine, it did not need to be approved by the Comics Code Authority and thus could showcase stories filled with monsters, ghouls, and gore that regular comics could not.

Warren Publishing, already well known for their Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, put out the magazine. Creepy brought together a collection of artists unparalleled on a single title. These included former EC comics alums Frank Frazetta, Reed Crandall, Al Williamson, Jack Davis, George Evans, Joe Orlando, and Angelo Torres in what was, for all intents and purposes, an EC Comics revival. Creepy was headed by Editor Archie Goodwin, a long time EC fanatic and its stories were in the "EC Style" meaning they were 6 - 8 pages in length and utilized satire and irony,

The first hardcover volume collects the first five issues of Creepy. It's a magazine-sized book so the original aspect of the art has been maintained. However, you not only get the stories and cover art, but also the original letter columns and even original ads with all those great Captain Company products you could mail away for.

The first issue features an incredible rarity as it includes the last illustrated comic story that Frank Frazetta ever did before he would go onto produce primarily covers. For those who only know Frazetta for his covers, it is a rare treat to see just how good he was as a comic artist. Without the conveniences (or need) of modern computer enhancement techniques, Frazetta simply puts most modern artists to shame. There simply is nothing finer than outstanding black & white comic book art. The story "Werewolf" isn't anything special plot-wise, but the power and elegance of Frazetta's art is the attraction. Frazetta would go on to produce the covers for Creepy # 2 - 5, with Jack Davis getting the honor for the first issue.

Like EC's horror comics, the magazine had its own host, Uncle Creepy, who introduced each tale with puns or humorous quips. Beginning with the #3, each issue adapted a famous horror tale. Issue #3 featured "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe; #4 included Ambrose Bierce's "The Damned Thing"; and #5 featured Bram Stoker's "The Judge's House".

There's not a great deal of plot diversity...lots of stories with vampires, werewolves, and zombies and such, but it's the ride that is the thrill. One of the better tales finds a comic creator who pays three creators to do the work for him while he takes all the credit. When the three discover his ruse they are killed but the ghouls will have the last laugh in the end.

Dark Horse has given fans a wonderful gift by obtaining the rights to republish these classic stories. There simply isn't anything else like Creepy Magazine in today's marketplace, at least not yet! Dark Horse will be coming out with an all-new Creepy Magazine in 2009.
on September 7, 2008
Awesome book and a great way to read some of the best of the Warren horror books for a LOT less than the individual back issues would cost. The forward is informative and fun but the main attraction is the issues themselves. Issues 1-5 of Creepy are included as well as the ads and the covers! The reprints are outstanding quality on nice gloss paper, these books have never looked so good and the artwork really shines. These archive editions will continue with volume two of Creepy slated to ship in early December, if you are looking for a gift for the Horror fan who has everything I heartily recommend the first two volumes of the Creepy Archives, I can't wait for Volume two and wait with anticipation of the reprints of Creepy's sister publication Eerie. Dark Horse will also be publishing a NEW series of Creepy books in 2009 with new stroies and art from some of the best in horror comics today, should be great. I only hope the ads will be for real, I need a Venus Flytrap and a giant rat.
on November 2, 2009
I will admit that (1) I was a little late to the table on this book, yet (2) I was (and continue to be) a huge fan of the CREEPY (and like) titles of my youth. I picked this book up for Halloween, and have to say that it was a purchase well made, bringing me back to those long-lost magazines of horror that keep me sane (insane?) in the sad horror reality of today, where we see vampires that sparkle in the sunlight...

For fans of the genre, this comic collection is a must have. I also strongly recommend the following 2 titles, especially the first, which is the complete collection of the FIRST Frankenstein horror-specific comic book ever published.

The Monster of Frankenstein

Zombie Factory: 27 Tales of Bizarre Comix Madness from Beyond the Tomb
on February 3, 2016
I'm glad that the Warren Archives are here and presented pretty much as they originally appeared......however the reproduction is very "light" and not as impactful and intense as the original magazines that were printed on more absorbant newsprint.....the collection should be darker heavier blacks..... Whoever proofed these pages to print, should have known this, obviously was not a connoisseur of the original magazines...at least the collections exist in hard cover, but are only 85% of the original impact that the original magazine reproductions delivered.
on October 16, 2008
I did a search on the off-chance that I might be able to buy an old Creepy magazine from Amazon. To my amazement, the first five issues were compiled into a beautiful, shrink-wrapped book available from Amazon. I am thrilled that I have a part of my past back again. (I think my mom tossed my magazines on one of my family's many moves.)

The descriptions given by the other reviewers were right on the mark! After reading them, I did not hesitate to buy this beautifully done volume and am anxious for volume 2 to be released. I am thankful that this book arrived in time for Halloween--perfect!
on January 5, 2015
There's some great artwork to be found here and some good stories as well, however the inability to zoom and scroll hinders the enjoyment of the content. The double tap to zoom function works on only a small section of the page at a time and is awkward to say the least. The archive is good, the interface is not.