Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM

50%
50%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 31, 2008
There's something very weird about "Johnny Boo."

No, it isn't the brand of oddness that assaults the senses, or leads to bad dreams. It's more the sort of uniqueness that leads minds into unexpected places, the eyes to see clear yet not-quite-familiar images and circumstances. "Johnny Boo" resembles a favorite children's book from your own childhood... and yet, manages to classify itself into its own little niche genre. It's a children's book, without all that dull narrative prose tucked away on the page. And it's also a children's comic, wherein the characters don't quite know that they're being read by anyone (adding to the sense of the unknown, i.e. the characters aren't "performing" for the audience).

In short, "Johnny Boo" is the book children of this generation will read a few times, put aside for many years, and have such clear memories of it that they'll hunt it down again when they reach adulthood. "Johnny Boo" is the book that people will be posting Internet queries about in the future: "When I was a kid, I remember reading this really weird book about ghosts and ice cream monsters... Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about?"

Sure, it follows some children's literary conventions - the concept of adventure, treasure, strange new creatures, and the ability to use one's special talents to succeed in the world. But in recent days, there hasn't been any book that makes the conventional so... so downright nutty and unique!

And the best part about it is that "Johnny Boo" allows kids to indulge in James Kochalka's (typically grown-up themed) visions.
on January 6, 2015
It was very cute and silly. I have read this book before and I loved it. :) :) THE END
on February 21, 2014
This is a fun book filled with a 'can-overcome, can-achieve' flavor that my four-year-old grandson giggles to hear with every reading.
on November 29, 2014
My 5 yo daughter and 3 yo sold love these books. Perfect for loading on my phone and reading at restaurants before our meals come.
on March 16, 2012
I has been a long time since both my 8-year-old and I shared a good laugh over a book. We just loved it all. And the story isn't scary or mean at all. Just fantastic fun. We had borrowed it from the library, but i think i will buy all the Johnny Boos. Just realized the same artist did Owly, which was also sweet.
on May 31, 2013
This book is pretty good and I liked the drawings and stuff but the book was really short. And I liked the part where it showed the baby.