Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on October 30, 2005
Most of us moved into our first unfurnished apartment with a collection of junk furniture that we picked up from our parents, from garage sales, flea markets and who knows where. Later we upgraded a little at a time, buying new things that we thought would better fit the image we were trying to create.

The theme of this book is that you can do just as well, maybe better by staying with the flea market stuff. Ms. Chalmers has a sense of style that makes her collection of junk look a lot better than mine. I really liked where she decanted the bubble bath into an old Vodka bottle.

The covers of the book pretty well illustrate the nature of the book. The front cover shows a dinner table, all the chairs match and so on. On the back is another, none of the chairs match each other.

You would never, of course, match what she did in the book. You'll never finc the exact items. But the ideas she puts to geather to show what can be done are excellent. A very enjoyable book.
0Comment47 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2006
I live in suburbia, in a newer development where all the homes pretty much look the same. I am always on the look-out for creative ideas on decorating because I don't want my interior to look like it stepped out of one of the well-known home decor stores and catalogs. This book was an inspiring find! Lots of pictures and informative text...I have looked at the pictures over and over again. I'm not much into the step-by-step instruction books on transforming found objects so this book was right up my alley. For me, its purpose was served in that it filled my head and notebook with creative ideas for my home. A great book to look through before you head off to the nearest architectural salvage yard, flea market, or out for a day of garage sales.
0Comment28 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2008
This book rocks-it has funky ideas and is beautifully presented, not like many of the other recycled furniture books out there.I mean, do you REALLY want to learn how to make a distressed-finish-powder blue-decoupaged candlestick holder out of fence pickets?If so, this is not the book for you..this one shows how you can TASTEFULLY decorate your place with some original pieces and not spend a fortune.Accept no imitations-this book is awesome.
on June 25, 2006
My mom sent this to me at college- what a wonderful and inspiring gift for anyone who enjoys antiques, flea markets, design, and the like! Chalmers brilliantly presents the different categories of flea market finds and ways of tying them together to create masterful spaces (check out the table of contents to see what I mean). Treloar's photographs are inspiring; even without reading the text, your mind will absorb countless revitilized uses of 'junk', and begin to piece together unique ideas of its own. A very stimulating find!
on March 31, 2007
i found this book on Amazon after searching for another by Emily Chalmers called Style On a Budget. I bought this one blindly and really loved the ideas. The photos and layout are beautiful and the ideas are creative and fun. i love the combination of colors used, which is lively yet still maintaining a mature ambience. I do think these "finds" are not as lucky for just anyone unless you are an avid flea market goer. But still it will help me keep me motivated, with eyes open.
on July 8, 2007
This book has some really good ideas as far as example rooms set up for you to go gaga over, but only an upholsterer could really carry through with a lot of these ideas. It shows some samples of remarkable flea market finds though. I personally thought that a lot of the spaces that were set up in the book were too cluttered and not usable realistically.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2009
This book contains a lot of nice pictures of flea market findings - first categorized in type of object (furniture, glassware), later on type of room (bedroom, kitchen). The pictures are wonderful and are beautifully styled. The good thing about this book is that it actually covers a lot of different styles (retro, factory, shabby chic) as well as the other themes. This book makes me want to run out to the nearest flea market and totally remake my home!
on February 16, 2007
Very creative and innovative! Low cost and stulish ways to add beauty and charm to your surroundings. There's alot of Flea Market & Junk mavens out there, but at an actual cost that's out of this world when you delve into it. Nice going!
VINE VOICEon June 13, 2011
If you have a knack for putting things together and a love for bargain hunting, this is a good idea book. Some reviewers love it, others find it disappointing, a sure sign that's it's not a book for everyone.

The many spaces featured in this book reflect an eclectic, personal approach to design, definitely for those who eschew the West Elm/Pottery Barn/Ikea design-in-a-box mentality. There is also a definite bias toward old-world European styles. As stated, this is not a book for beginners, b/c flea market hunting requires the ability to not only see an item's potential, but to make an unexpected find work in your living space. This is hard when you never know what you'll encounter, which is standard fare at flea markets.

That said, for those with the confidence (and patience) to pull a room together with found objects, it is worth a read. It's not glorious, but good and I found most inspiration in some of the smaller vignettes within a single photograph. Recommended to a select audience.
on November 1, 2009
One of the most engaging home styling books I've ever read, and that's a lot. It has that certain Euro-feel that is so charming, especially to this Dallas, Texan who is a follower of several international design/stylist's blogs as well as ones here in the USA. So if you like that type of thing, you will adore this book.