Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on January 7, 2001
I received the Garmin 12CX for Christmas, replacing my older Magellan 2000XL. The Garmin is definitely a more versatile unit, having the ability to upload/download topo map waypoints and routes. However, the color display is difficult to read unless facing the light source. I am also not completely satisfied with the contrast adjustments for the colors. When you get a good contrast with one, the others seem to be "washed out". I would like to see more icon symbols that are related to hiking rather than boating. The icons can save time in establishing an easier method to find a saved waypoint. Overall however, I would say that this unit is very user friendly and has a much better use (with power saver) of battery power. I will be using rechargable (1650 mah) AA batteries in mine to save $ over the alkaline variety.
on May 8, 2001
I'm a wildlife biologist in Montana, and use GPS units daily. I originally purchased 5 of these units for my research, and had 3 units malfunction -- with three different problems. One would shut off if tapped, one would shut off if you hit the page button, and the light stopped working on a third. Because of Amazon's great service, and my need for quick and compatible replacements, I ordered three identical units to replace the broken ones. I just had a fourth unit die -- the same problem where it shuts off if tapped. Features are nice, interface is intuitive, but quality is sorely lacking.
on December 9, 2014