Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sega Dreamcast Console
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 4, 2000
I purchased a Sega Dreacast last Christmas and couldn't be happier. The graphics are jaw-dropping and there's a truckload of games, 200 or so by Christmas 2000, some titles like Shenmu, Ecco the Dolphin, and Soul Calibur could be classified as works of art. As an engineer in the hi-tech field I'm always impressed by a design masterpiece, you can be assured I'm impressed with the Dreamcast. Now let's talk about the PS2, I've studied the Dreamcast and the PS2 for over a year by researching numerous design articles on the Internet and unfortunately for Sony, the word is getting out, the PS2 is a bad design. Sony had great plans for a powerhouse machine, but they all fell apart due to a serious design flaw that traumatizes the entire system. Here's the bottom line, the PS2 is severely limited by an anemic 4 MB Video ram memory in the graphics subsystem, this is the pipeline that controls video output to the screen, everything must pass thru this pipeline before it appears on the television. By comparison, the Dreamcast has twice the size of the PS2 pipeline, or 8 MB video ram memory. This still does not tell the complete story, the Dreamcast has a superior graphics engine that makes it's 8 MB pipeline perform more like 10 times the pipeline in the PS2, yes, that's right, I said 10 times. This gives the Dreamcast the ability to produce screen output the PS2 simply cannot match. This probably sounds hard to believe after all the hype you've heard about the PS2, but sadly, it's true. In a nutshell, Sony built a 750 horsepower Ferrari and then fitted it with a Ford Pinto exhaust system. No matter how much power the PS2 engine can deliver, the entire system is choked by the restricted output and software developers are left frantically scrambling trying to work around the problems this causes. Surely you've heard the PS2 is difficult to develop for, this is the main reason why. The results are quite revealing, if you compare the top games on both systems, you'll notice the Dreamcast is at least as good as the PS2 and many time's it's superior. The best example of this lies with two different fighting games, Tekken Tag on the PS2 compared to Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, both games launched with the respective system. Namco, one of the finest game development companies on the planet, developed both titles. If it was within Namco's power, you can bet they wouldn't let the spanking new Tekken Tag on the PS2 be outshined by the 18-month-old Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, but that's just what happened. Soul Calibur is a masterpiece that dwarfs Tekken Tag in any comparison. Another good example is EA Sports Madden NFL 2001 for the PS2 compared to NFL 2K1 for the Dreamcast. EA Sports has everything riding on the PS2 and cannot afford to be outdone by the Dreamcast. In direct comparisons, some say Madden NFL 2001 has slightly better graphics than NFL 2K1, but read almost any review you want, even some on Sony biased sights, and NFL 2K1 is the better game. Moving on, some Dreamcast games are thought to be impossible on the PS2, these are Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Ecco the Dolphin, and perhaps a few more. These games either have incredible detail and texturing, fast moving free roaming 3D environments, or both. Because it's choked by it's design, detail texture and fast moving free roaming environments are all difficult for the PS2. In other words, some things the Dreamcast can do with ease are near impossibilities for the PS2. Chances are you haven't heard comparisons like these before, but they appear to be true. A few more things to mention if your considering purchasing a new game console, the PS2 can play DVD's, the Dreamcast can't, that may be a selling point to some. On the other hand, the Dreamcast has an ACE up it's sleeve, it's internet ready out of the box and online gaming for the Dreamcast is here, right now, today, no fool' in. How good is online gaming on the Dreamcast? I've heard nothing but praise and worship for SegaNet, they use a system that reduces lag over an analog modem that makes an opponent across country seem like he's playing in you living room. In the online department Sony has completely botched up, Sega has a much better plan in place and Sony will never fully catch up. One last point, the PS2 plays old Playstation games with the same quality as the Playstation, a certain selling point. On the Sega side, a new software product called Bleem! will give the Dreamcast the ability to play around 400 Playstation games thru emulation, with 4X the screen resolution, graphics filtering, and jagged edge removal that the Sony machines can't accomplish. The Dreamcast will be a better Playstaion than the PS2, even a better Playstation than the Playstation itself. In conclusion, if you're a Sony fan and you don't mind the high price, go ahead and buy a PS2, the games will get better as developers master the system. The PS2 is an adequate machine and will be a smashing success with the following Sony already has, it's just not the revolution in console gaming that all the hype predicted. Now, if you think you want a PS2 because it's a superior machine, forget the hype, save yourself some money and go buy a Dreamcast, you won't be disappointed. The PS2 is vastly overrated and over-hyped, the Dreamcast is underrated and it's time for the truth to even up the score. Lastly, if you are a budget conscious consumer, buy a Dreamcast over a PSone anyday, it's 10X better.... Bottom line, the Dreamcast is a masterpiece of design engineering and it easily rivals the PS2, in many ways it's the superior machine, much to Sony's dismay.
2121 comments|356 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2000
For the upcoming holiday season, this is the system to get. Nevermind the PS2 - at this point in time, the best games on any console system are for the Dreamcast. Sure, PS2 games are going to get better, but if you're looking for something that's a lot of fun right now, the Dreamcast is your system. I'm a college student who just purchased a Dreamcast last week, along with Jet Grind Radio, Rayman 2, Power Stone 2, and Street Fighter Alpha 3, all of which are incredible. If you're looking for great platformers, arcade translations, and innovative new games, look no further. The quality of games on this machine are simply incredible, and even though the PS2 boasts more powerful hardware, keep in mind that the most powerful system dosn't necessarily have the best games.
While Sega's future may be uncertain, they're definitely giving their best effort with their push for SegaNet. Any PC gamer will tell you that it's infinitely more satisfying to play against other people rather than CPU-controlled opponents. One other thing to consider is the cost of a PS2 (assuming that you can find one).
With a lot of promise on the horizon (including, finally, some quality RPG's in Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2), the Dreamcast would make a great gift or purchase.
on November 23, 2001
Dreamcast is no doubt the most underated console on the market...Everybody is talking about the "BIG" 3 PS2..Xbox..and gamecube...but they seem to forget that dreamcast is in the same league as those systems...The graphics are excellent, the game play of it's large library of games is excellent.. it comes with a build in 56k modem.... I have had a blast playing quake 3, Alien Front online, the NFL2k series etc over the internet..
The Dropped price of the dreamcast is more than amazing, I have had my dreamcast since may of 2000, I will buy me another one. Just in case the one I have breaks or get brokens...
I will soon own a playstation 2 (hopefully)..but i will not stop playing or buying new games for my dreamcast...
GET THIS SYSTEM, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN OR PLAYED THE NEXT GENERATION GAMES YET....DREAMCAST IS IN THE SAME LEAGUE WITH THE NEW SYSTEMS, AND IN SOME ASPECTS IT'S BETTER...
on December 5, 2000
Both Sega Dreamcast and Sony Plastation 2 are incredible 3-D gaming systems, and have relatively identical hardware specs & expansion slot options (ie: net ready). Yet, your decision on "which" to buy should be Dreamcast....
Sure, PS2 will allow you to play DVD movies, but what if you already own a DVD player? Why spend the extra money? Dreamcast plans to release an adapter that will allow it to play DVD movies too (according to The Official Dreamcast Magazine). I'm sure most people will prefer this "optional" adapter, rather than being forced into paying twice as much for an additional DVD player that's built in the system.... Bleemcast enables Playstation 1 games to work on Dreamcast. Here's the best part - Bleem for Dreamcast will actually IMPROVE the quality of resolution of first generation Playstation games (at least double); PS2 will not.
By far, with Dreamcast's already incredible library of games, in addition to the incredible library of Playstation 1 games, there is no question on which gaming system is the hottest.... Sega Dreamcast. Nothing against Sony; it's the truth.
- IMA Pisces
on August 4, 2000
If you're in the market for a next generation console right now, your options are pretty limited. Buy a Dreamcast or wait for PS2 to come out in October. Well, I'm here to tell you to buy a Dreamcast. Sony is marketing the PS2 as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and many people are believing it. But when you take away the hype, the PS2 is just a machine, as is the dreamcast, and it comes down to which machine will provide you with more enjoyment. First and foremost, you are not going to enjoy coughing up .. bucks for the PS2(... for the console ... if you want a game). Dreamcast is rumored to be cutting it's price ... , which should be taking place some time very soon. You will certainly enjoy saving yourself, or santa, .. bucks. But would you then be getting an inferior console? The answer to that is surprisingly "no." When making a side by side comparison of Dead or Alive 2 (a game on both Dreamcast and PS2) one realizes that the Dreamcast version is actually better! Another comparison can be drawn from games like Sega GT and Gran Turismo 2000. Many game critics are saying that Sega GT looks like the better game at this point, and this is saying a lot given Gran Turismo's reputation as a great racing game. Also, the PS2 only has two controller ports. Looks like you'll have to give sony an extra $30 if you want to play a game with 3 friends. People who are all about the PS2 seem to all say the same thing. "You can play DVD's." This is a great feature, but it's really not that big of a deal. PS2 will cost about ... more than Dreamcast, and DVD players are dropping in price, so you might be able to find one for around .... anyway. The whole DVD thing is just part of all of the hype that Sony is feeding to the public, making something that's not a big deal seem like the greatest thing that ever happened to humankind. Once PS2 is out, its actual performance will be measured instead of the hype, and people will then find that it's not any better than Dreamcast, so don't put all of your eggs in Sony's basket just yet. Wait until you could try both systems out, and weigh out the positives and negatives yourself. You'll be surprised with what you discover.
66 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2002
The Sega Dreamcast revolutionized the standard for gaming when it was released almost three years ago. The DC was the first and only 128 bit monster with turn-key internet access for online gaming. The X-Box, PS2, and Gamecube are also 128 bit machines, and at best may offer slightly improved graphics when compared to the Dreamcast. I just purchased a Dreamcast for Christmas after trying it and all three of the newer consoles, and I did not find a noticable improvement in gameplay or graphics display - certainly not enought to justify spending five times the price! Unfortunately, Sega did not do well in the marketing of the Dreamcast subsequent to its initial launch, and now they are paying the price by ceasing production of the Dreamcast. What that means is that with over 10 million units sold, and well over three hundred first class titles available like Soul Caliber, Dead or Alive 2, Shenmue 2, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, and the best-in-class Sega sports series all available for $10-$35 a piece brand new, the Dreamcast is an absolute steal. For the price of a bare PS2 console, you can pick up a Dreamcast, extra controller, memory cards, and about 8 really great titles to get you started. The gameplay is amazing, and you will not run out of great games to explore and keep you entertained while Gamecube and X-Box users frustratingly wait for decent games to buy at $49.99 a piece. Believe me, I did exactly this at Christmas, and now I have over 25 games, some of which I haven't even tried yet. By the time I have gotten through everything on the Dreamcast, the next generation machines beyond X-Box, PS2, and Gamecube will be hitting the market. The Dreamcast is an amazing machine at a more than amazing price, and it can go toe-to-toe with the X-Box, Gamecube, and Playstation 2 and hold its own.
on November 27, 2000
Yes, I am serious. I was hoping to blow over ... to purchase a PS2, but I couldn't find one. I was looking for a PS2 in a retail store when I noticed the displays for both the PS2 and the Dreamcast. The PS2 had Madden 2001 on, and the Dreamcast had NFL 2K1 on. I was astonished to see that the Dreamcast was graphically equal to the PS2. Could it be? I had heard that the PS2 was going to blow the socks off the Dreamcast. With the PS2 shortage and my money (saved since January specifically for a PS2) burning a hole in my pocket, I picked up a Dreamcast.
In fact, for about the price of the PS2 with one controller and no games, I got a Dreamcast, an extra controller, a VMU, and five incredible games (NFL 2K, NBA 2K, Crazy Taxi, Soul Caliber, and Sonic Adventure were each 2/5 the price of a typical PS2 game).
Maybe the PS2 will live up to expectations...but for now, the Dreamcast is well worth the price. And if the PS2 is great in two years, I will buy one then, without the headaches and for half the price.
Do yourself a favor and get a Dreamcast. Equal graphics and gameplay, better game selection, lower price. Buying a PS2 doesn't make sense yet.
on November 20, 2000
I haven't played much video games lately, but when all the hype surrounding PS2 started, it got my video game juices flowing again. I was hoping to get my hands on a PS2, but I didn't. Then I began to read reviews online about the Dreamcast. Everyone was saying that it's better than the PS2 and the games for the system are amazing. Then I was reading the review of games and most of it was very positive. Finally the price of the dreamcast really was a no brainer. For a fraction of the cost of getting a PS2 (mainly through auction sites), I could get a DC console, and games.
I couldn't wait to get the DC. When it finally arrived, I went out and rented two games I have heard great things about, Jet Grind Radio and Crazy Taxi. Both are very fun games, and I was very impressed. I was more impressed by Jet Grind Radio. It is such an innovative game. I played it for 5 days straight before I had to return it. The graphics, music, and gameplay are all amazing. Then I bought NFL2k1, which is the best football game I've ever played. Granted, I haven't played Madden 2001 for the PS2, but alot of people have been saying NFL2k1 is better.
I am so glad I got a dreamcast. For the price it is definitely worth it. Plus they have a wide variety of excellent games out. Plus if you get the DC, it'll definitely keep your mind off trying to get a PS2. I know it did for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to get a PS2, but I'm going to wait till next year when the price drops, but for now, if you want a game system, then the DC is the best choice.
on November 6, 1999
Sega has made the most amazing system ever with Dreamcast. I have been playing video games since the days of Final Fantasy 1, Space Harrier, Out Run and Donkey Kong, and I generally have very high expectations and a beleive-it-when-I-see-it attitude. I am an extremely tough person to astound but I must say Dreamcast is astounding. It is very powerful and very affordable (for being brand new - Playstation was $300 at launch, remember). The machine simply rocks. But what really matters - games right? of course. Sonic Adventure is the best adventure/platform game I have ever played. Soul Calibur is the most visually stunning game ever, and I'm talkin' game play not movies, game play. NFL 2k is the best football game ever, period. And there are more amazing games for the system. Plus, when Shenmue comes out it will changes the face of video gaming forever and it's exclusive to Dreamcast. The VMU is one of the coolest things in video game history, and the way the controller is designed for you hands is a beautiful thing.
You've probably heard about PS2 but forget that for now, it's a year away. Also it runs at about 16 of 17 million polygons per second not the 75 million bs number that Sony was trying to tell people.
Bottom line: It's worth your money and your time, don't wait, once you've experienced Dreamcast you won't ever play your old games again.
on November 23, 2000
I HAVE PLAYED VIDEO GAMES SINCE I WAS A KID, I AM 29 YEARS OLD NOW AND I STILL LOVE TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES. I WAS THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A SONY PLAYSTATION 2(I HAVE BEEN PLAYING A PLAYSTATION 1 FOR A FEW YEARS NOW). AFTER RESEARCHING THE PRODUCTS ONLINE I DECIDED TO PURCHASE A DREAMCAST. I AM SO HAPPY I BOUGHT THE DREAMCAST, THE GRAPHICS ARE AWESOME AND THE GAMES ARE INCREDIBLE. I CURRENTLY OWN NFL2K1, NBA 2K1, SOUL CALIBUR, 4X4 EVOLUTION, RAYMAN 2, READY TO RUMBLE 2, NAMCO AND MIDWAYS ARCADE "CLASSICS." (AND THERE ARE MANY MORE GAMES I WANT TO BUY) I FIND MYSELF PLAYING TILL 4 AM ALL THE TIME. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE GAMES SEGA RELEASES IN 2001. GAME CREATORS FOR SEGA HAVE HAD SOME TIME TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE DREAMCAST SYSTEM GIVING THEM AN ADVANTAGE TO AVOID "BUGS" AND TO TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF THE DREAMCASTS' CAPABILITIES. THERE IS A LOT OF "HYPE" CONCERNING THE PLAYSTATION 2, AND IN THE FUTURE THEY WILL PROBABLY CATCH UP AND POSSIBLY PASS WHAT THE DREAMCAST HAS ACCOMPLISHED, BUT FOR NOW THE DREAMCAST IS WAY AHEAD OF SONY. FOR MY HARD-EARNED MONEY I CONSIDER THE DREAMCAST THE BEST DEAL.
P.S. WHO WANTS TO PAY FOR DVD CAPABILITIES IN A GAMING SYSTEM? I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE A SEPERATE DVD PLAYER. FOR EXAMPLE: WOULD IF YOU WANT TO PLAY GAMES WHILE OTHERS IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD WANT TO WATCH A DVD DISK? WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO AFFORD AN EXTRA DVD PLAYER, IT'S JUST NOT ECONOMICAL OR PRACTICAL TO HAVE BOTH YOUR DVD AND GAMING SYSTEM IN ONE MACHINE.