on July 2, 2000
This is currently the only laserjet multifunction machine on the market, and it's a surprisingly good, economical product. Copying is excellent, and text print is BETTER--and faster--than on an HP 2100 laserjet. The flatbed scanner/copier accommodates an 8 1/2 x 14 page (unlike most of the "personal" models, which have only an 81/2 x 11 bed, which is true of every other multifunction machine). Set-up is easy and intuitive, and the tech staff has been surprisingly responsive. I have been exceedingly happy with both quality and ease of product. It makes a lot of sense for those who do a lot of black-and-white printing (much cheaper to run than an ink-jet for that function), but who want copying and color scanning capabilities as well.
on May 18, 2001
I bought this to replace an aging HP 5L that no longer fed paper properly - had to feed one sheet at a time.
In the past three months I have printed over 3,000 pages (am ordering the Brother 6,000 page toner unit from ... as I type this and another box of paper ... and I have been very pleased with the results so far. Printing is fast, quality is good. The room does not smell of toner. The only problem I've had is when I inadvertantly send too many copies of print job and the output bin overflows (80+ pages) jamming the machine. I just need to send fewer copies at a time.
I also bought this for the copier feature. I was sick of going to the neighborhood pharmacy to make really bad copies. The copier works great on a variety of items. Driver's license, documents, etc. The quality is outstanding, and I am pretty picky about copies. The sheet-feeder is amazing. I was very surprised by how adequately fast the sheet-feeder was feeding pages to the scanner. The feeder also allows you to scan items longer than the scanning bed, since the paper is moving and not the scanning device. And there is always the flatbed scanning for books or when you need that "higher" level of quality.
I believe there are other laser multifunction devices out now that might be competitive with the Brother, but at the time I bought this, this was the best cost for my set of requirements. The stories of Xerox toner life sort of kept me from those. It looks like someone was planning a fax module since there are holes (not jacks) for phone lines in the back. Just thought that was interesting. I already have a standalone fax, but could see how the lack of fax capability would prevent a purchase.
I use Windows 2000 and I still think the Brother 1200 is great. I did have to download drivers that were not obvious to find (though they are on the Brother web site). I have done scanning and OCR without problems with the Brother TWAIN drivers. But these were initiated from the computer. I don't know how much functionality is retained for the scan/email buttons on the device itself. But then, I haven't really needed them. You may need a Brother background app to run for those to function.
The device is connected to my parallel port because the cable was 10 feet long. The USB cable is only 6', otherwise I would have used that. I stopped buying parallel port devices (besides printers) about 3 years ago, so I'm guessing the multi-device on LPT is less of an issue for most people now.
Some other negatives: The supplied OCR program doesn't retain formatting, so I stuck in another program into the PaperPort app they supply. The device is kind of big, but it doesn't seem like the size is gratuitous.
Some other things about my situation. I already have an inkjet for color printing. I would not consider an inkjet multifunction for anything but the light printing needs. I am a IT contractor, so my tolerance for driver searches may be slightly higher. I print about 1,000 pages a month since my wife also goes to law school.
In conclusion, this has been one of the most satisfactory purchases I have made in a while. I've also recently purchased a LinkSys wireless cable modem router, and that has been much more disappointing. Maybe I'll write a review on that.
So that's my first review. Hope it was useful. Wow. This was much longer than I had originally planned.
on May 10, 2001
Purchased a DCP1200 after looking at many other competitor's choices. Nothing comes close to the price Brother offers. The toner refills are reasonably priced too, and last a long time(unlike a competitor's model that starts with X).
Feature wise, this combo copier/printer is great. The scanning is quick and quite intelligent; documents and photos neither come out too dark nor too light. Surely beats the pants off using a computer based scanner with a regular printer as you do not have to calibrate anything, nor even have a computer hooked up to do the copying.
The 12ppm rating is quite true. I've timed it to be from 10ppm on up on regular document pages.
Unit has a power saving mode which I most certainly appreciate in this day in age of energy conservation. However, when doing a print job from a cold-start, it only takes about 30-40 seconds for the unit to warm up. Impressive!
There is a full 4 megabytes of memory available as a dedicated win printer device; that's enough to drive even complex PDF files to print. There is a memory upgrade available but alas, it is proprietary and expensive for a measly few extra MBs.
The only real "negative" I can give is the LCD does not have a backlighting so you can't see the status if the room is dimly lit. That's really all I can say that's bad about this unit, though.
Some hints for the buyer: If you're in the market for one of these combo units, remember to be careful about pseudo-multifunction units that come with an ink-jet printer instead of a laser -- the cost of operation will be exceedingly high and perform slowly as well.
on February 22, 2001
The DCP 1200 is a a good device IF you will never have need to use another printer or scanner, or any device that requires a parallel port.
The 1200 not only hogs LPT1 but actually uninstalls all other devices you may have attached to any LPT ports. The manual tells you that the LPT1 port will be used by the 1200 but it does not go into the gory problems you will discover the hard way.
The installation is next to impossible if you use any kind of a network for your peripherals. It will install properly ONLY if you do no more than connect the device directly to your LPT1 port.
The manual and instructions represent a NEW LOW in software instructions. It is incomplete, example sighted above, it is misleading. It omits numerous steps. It is not in any logical sequence. For example, information needed in steps presented early, is not provided until much later. (No cross references)
This unit is not worth even the LOW price it is going for. STAY AWAY from it unless you will never use any other LPT peripherals.
If you bought two of these machines you could NOT use them both. They would be mutually incompatible!!
on September 20, 2001
I've onlu just begun to use the DCP 1200 but it is a godsend. It replaced an HP 1100 Axi and replaced it with all the goods you could ask for.
You have to recognize that Brother is not going to offer a lot more support for this item as they have moved away from it rather notably. However, the usefulness of the product as it sits is just wonderful. The speed is great, the print and copy quality are outstanding and the scanning feature is useful.
The scanning piece is probably the weakest link in the operation owing to the use of old Paperport technology, but it is still funcitonal. I plan on experimenting with the new ScanSoft software to see if it is compatible with this version of the PaperPort scanner.
There's just not a thing about this printer that I can find in error, but it is early. Great price too.
on February 15, 2001
I recently purchased a Brother DCP 1200 for our office. I liked the multiple functionality idea. Set up and installation went smoothly enough. I went to the Brother website and downloaded the drivers for Windows 2000. After installing the printer I realized that the software to support the scanning feature had not been installed. I called customer support and was informed that they were not planning to fully support the features of the DCP 1200 in Windows 2000. That's not the end of the world but it is frustrating. I bought the printer because I liked the USB port, the fairly low cost of toner and drum, and the idea of a low volume copier, laser printer and scanner in one. I get annoyed when companies arbitrarily refuse to support industry standard software. I was planning on purchasing a few more of these if things went well but I am going to re-think that in light of current developments. If you are not using Windows 2000 or another unsupported platform you would probably enjoy this multifunction device.
on December 15, 2001
This machine has very nice print quality-- especially on photos. I wanted a plain copier (laser-- not ink jet), and needed a back up printer for my small home office. I was prleasantly surprised at the ease of set up (for all the print and scanning drivers), and was very pleased re: the print/copy quality. This machine is especially nice because it works w/ BOTH MacIntosh machines and Wintel machines. It's great for those of us do not want to duplicate equipment (bc we have both platforms). I have had this machine for about a year, and am quite pleased w/ it. I don't use if for heavy copying, but have gone through about 3000 pages so far. And the print quality is still very high. Even the color scanner worked as it should have (although I don't use the scanner much). I don't like the Visioneer software (it's more confusing than it needs to be). But as a back up color scanner, it is more than adequate.
I really like this machine (so far).
on October 31, 2001
Since I bought this item mostly for B&W Scanning, Copying, and OCR, I am very pleased.
However, color scanning is at least 10 times as slow as B&W. I can scan a B&W page at 1200x1200 dpi in about 10 seconds. The same page could take well over a minute or even two if scanned in color. The ADF rules, but I am truly disappointed with the lack of picture control supplied with the twain drivers! Um, I'd like to turn down the exposure, please! My color scans are thin magazine sheets and the bleed from the opposite page print is terrible! What about B/W threshold? What about saturation? Hello? Is anybody in there? This IS a scanner!
Well, I'm still happy but would be much more thrilled if the drivers were improved for much faster color scanning and much more control. Without it I may need soon need another machine. DOH!
I bought from a great online e-tailer and received a rebate from Brother so my total investment was very low for this level of product! Free shipping and no state sales tax was a great advantage.
on October 28, 2002
I have used the DJP-1200 for a little over a year as my main copier. I teach physics and run off about many of my short run jobs on this machine. I have run 16,000 prints through the machine with no problems. I am still on the original drum. I started with the TN4300 cartridge and have since gone through two additional TN4600 cartridges. The cost per print on this machine has been very low. For a teacher this machine is an absolute boon!
on January 25, 2001
I received this product yesterday and have not been able to connect it to my HP Pavillion computer. The tech staff has been completely unavailable and I was on hold yesterday for two hours. They were to call me back, and here it is 6 P.M. on the second day and they have not called. I have never owned a Brother product before, but I am astounded at how poorly I am being treated.