on April 20, 2004
For years, I have had to struggle with computer headsets that were evidently designed by someone who was a cross between Gucci and the Marquis de Sade, and sold by firms whom I truly believe wouldn't know a noise-canceling boom mike from a hole in the ground.
Then I came across Telex's H-51. Already I was interested; I've been using Telex's aviation headsets since the mid-70s, so I knew that these guys weren't exactly clueless as to what was needed.
When the headset arrived, my faith was proven correct. Everything about this headset says SOLID. The headband is a full three-quarted-inch band of stainless steel, and the headpad (yes, a real headpad!) is a stitched and padded leather-like material. The ear pieces as well show the firm's aviation history, with well-designed cups that gimbal in all axes and are assembled with steel screws, not a few dabs of glue.
The boom mike is a true noise-cancelling electret on a swivel with a boom that can be gently bent to the proper position at the corner of your mouth, and then STAYS there.
As for the wiring, it COULD be more robust, but there are at least strain reliefs on all the important points where a wire could potentially break. A ways down the wire from the headset there is a combination shirt clip and control unit that houses both a volume control and a mute switch. The volume control pot is noiseless right out of the box, and the clip itself is steel, rather than the usual plastic tab.
The H-51 uses old-fashioned 3.5mm plugs for the connection to the sound card, which in my opinion is a Good Thing as it avoids having to wrestle with the poorly-written USB drivers that seem so typical with this type of equipment. The sound is good in the earcups, to the point that I could consider these as a good stand-in for quality audio headphones. As to the mike, the output is loud and clear both on loopback/sidetone and testing via TeamSpeak.
Conclusion: The H-51 is not an aviation headset; the fact they don't sell for $300+ hints at this. But it IS built by veterans of this field, and both the overall design and the attention paid to the details shows it. Frankly, the H-51 is flat-out the best computer headphone I've ever come across, and I would have cheerfully paid twice the price that was asked.
on February 4, 2005
Verified Purchase
This headset is a good quality product. It'll last longer than all of those other headsets you can get for the same price. The only gripe I have about it is the way it hurts my ears.. My sister complains about the same thing, after 20-30 minutes of wearing them, your ears will become irritated and turn red. Ours did anyway..

But still, unless you have extremely sensitive ears, these are great. I actually scared a friend's dorm mate when I was voice chatting with her, because she thought someone else was in the room with them.. the mic is that clear, no kidding.

The speakers are nice too. Good bass, I can turn the volume all the way up on my computer and there's no static at all. These things are definently worth the money.
on August 20, 2005
Verified Purchase
Initally, the headset and microphone seemed to be a good buy, but they start hurting my ears after about 10 minutes of use. Regrdless of all their attributes, I find I don't use them because of the ear issue. Good buy or not, if you don't use a product, you've wasted your money.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations