Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 19, 2001
This puppy (the Compaq IJ600) came with a system I recently bought. Replacing my Epson Color Sylus 800 (a workhorse), my first thought, taking the IJ600 out of the box was "What a cute little thing!"
This had me immediately worried. Hooking the thing up was perhaps a bit easier than most, as the printer itself is so light that it can easily be lifted with one hand. The footprint (area of space it takes up) is also fairly small. While the unit seems flimsy, and definitely deserving of a soft hand while sliding the paper-catcher in and out (for example), its performance thus far has been quite acceptable.
It prints far slower than advertised. A color page at 300 d.p.i. (a very low resolution, not really sharp enough for printing letters) took about a minute. Black alone is not much faster. What is considerably faster are transfer and buffer times, making the printing begin almost as soon as the button is pushed.
If you have no great need for speed, and want a moderately-priced printer that will do just about anything you need, this one should do just fine. Just don't drop it.
-M.
on July 13, 2003
I have used this printer for about 1 1/2 years. I t has just completely shut off and will no longer work. It is a great printer if you only want to print e-mails or print text for school reports. I tried to get my money's worth and use it for photos, cd covers and labels, greeting cards, and transparencies. They printed and were usable, but there were lines in the color. The quality is not as good as other printers that I have used for the same projects. The transparencies and photos were the worse. If you tried to copy form a scanner, everything was blurred.
on December 29, 2002
"w0w... this ..." is the first thing that comes to mind when you use this printer. The first time I brought it home, i thought, NICE a COLOR printer. Little did I know, this color printer is the most likely to be nominated piece of ... THe first time i printed something it worked really well. But after maybe 3 uses, the color scratched off and lines started to appear. The printer is flimsy and cheap looking. If you wanted to (which is not a bad idea) you could break it easily. The cartridges cost too much and after a while the printer messes up all the ink and never again prints with color. People, people, look at this, does this sound like something you want in your home? Put this ... where it belongs, in your dumpster. :)
on January 27, 2005
My friend has this printer and he says its horrible! The print quality is awfull. Though, it's speed is fast, this is a horrible quality printer. Two of my friends on Compaq computers. One put it in the garage a year ago and has been happy with his new one. My other friend suffers from having one with Windows 98 (not to mention incredibly slow) and is going to get a new one soon. Compaq I guess is just a horrible company.
on November 9, 2002
I have had this printer for a little over a year, and now the printing quality is not good at all. There are new cartridges in there, but the work it prints is not acceptable at all.
on May 25, 2010
A very bad expierence for my first purchase. The printer arrived somewhat dirty and looked very used. It was a great waste of my time and effort and I still need a printer.
on December 8, 2002
This is a good cheap printer if your looking to print mostly text, but the color photos don't come out well at all.
on April 8, 2002
I got this printer with my computer as a package deal from SEARS & ROEBUCKS....Which was my first big mistake...The printer didn't work properly the forst time I used it, so I went back to SEARS, and they as much told me to see COMPAQ.....
They should have given me a new printer and sent the printer back themselves...........SO I GIVE THE COMPAQ IJ600 a -1 from a score from 1 to 10